Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Opinions wanted on a 7A38-7140

killsnapz

Just came across this auction for a 7A38-7140. I read up on what information was here on the site and it looks to be a little overpriced, but at least it does not have a crazy price and I am not a  "new with tags" collector. Nor do I care about original boxes or booklets. Would just like some feedback from other people here. The auction number on eBay is 131459161541. Italy of course!  I just like the colors and would like to have one on my wrist.

Michael.

March 21, 2015 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Michael.

Hopefully you've read page 3 of the 7A48-7140 SAA051J model specific thread (if not the whole thing).

If so, then you'll probably have figured out that this watch is now on it's 6th 10-day duration eBay (re)listing since January 5th. 

So Yes - it's clearly over-priced. If you're prepared to pay over the odds to get one on your wrist, that's your perogative.

Having said that, this example with some wear to the black chrome coating would be eminently wearable.

Ref your: Would just like some feedback from other people here. Guess that means I wasn't meant to answer. :lol:

March 21, 2015 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

If you go for it ask the seller how long the bracelet is, there's nothing worse than a watch arriving with a link or two missing. If you are prepared to strip it down a coat or two of matt black spray would have it looking like new.

March 22, 2015 at 3:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

killsnapz

Yes I did read through the whole post thread on the 7A48-7140 Paul. :)  I love the colors but even from the bad pictures you can see the wear on the bracelet. I am not seeking a mint new in box watch to be put in a display case never to be touched. I would not mind some light wear to the finish. Being that the model is slightly unusual I do not mind paying a little too much over the value as the watch is for me to wear any enjoy flaws and all. I just was curious on opinions on just how much the watch is overpriced in the minds of a couple different people. I can possible use some of my childhood Italian (Great Grandma spoke no English) and maybe make a fair offer. I was taught always ask you never know! Speaking broken Italian might be helpfull too!

Michael

Phil that is a great point I did not think to ask about the bracelet as I have an 8 inch wrist. I intend to wear the watch and if the becelet is to short then the watch would be worthless to me as I want to wear it.

March 22, 2015 at 5:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Michael. The Italian eBay seller cmax-28762 is a dealer (of sorts) - a profiteering re-seller as I call them. He's not as adventurous / clever as some. Mostly he seems to buy on eBay (usually Italy) or Kijiji.it and re-lists them for inflated prices on eBay. If you check some of the other model specific threads - 7A38-6020; 7A38-7050 / -705A you''ll see he's done it on other models besides. I didn't see the original listing where he bought this particular 7A38-7140 - so I don't know what he paid for it, before he marked the price up.

Going back a few years I bought an almost mint 'new with tags' 7A38-7140 for 200 Euros - off eBay Italy. They crop up fairly regularly over there - more so than anywhere else. I accept that prices in general have gone up since then. However, if I was still looking for one, I certainly wouldn't consider paying more than 200 Euros for one in this worn condition.

March 22, 2015 at 6:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

killsnapz

I appreciate the input. It gives me a rough base to set for a purchase price. If he is a watch flipper as I call them I doubt he will budge much on his listing price. I can always just keep watching him relist the watch over and over until maybe he might possible lower the price to a reasonable value. If not I can live without owning one but I will be checking eBay for one regularly now to see if one pops up. Sometimes if i really like a watch design a lot I will overbid a little at the end to try and ensure I win it. Most bids I place typically are a little on the low side so if I don't win I don't care and I often get lucky. Mostly with auctions ending at weird times of the day like 10 am on a Tuesday.

Michael

March 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.