Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering > 7A38-7060 White (708L) dial face has started to yellow

Nigel K

Have a good condition 7A38-7080 from circa 1984. Recently noticed some condensation on the inside of the glass which went after a few days but I now notice that parts of the dial (which is white) have started to yellow. Have got the back off and the movement out of the case. The yellowing is not too bad but is there an easy way to remove it? Checking the internet I saw one suggestion to use diluted ammonia which seems drastic.

September 17, 2015 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hello, Nigel.

Firstly we need to clear up the confusion over the model number of your watch. The 7A38-7080 is a black chrome coated 'Diver' with an all black dial. If the watch you're referring to is the one shown in your profile photo / avatar, that's a stainless 7A38-7060 (SAA015J). Check the case-back and you'll see it's stamped 7A38-7060. The dial part number printed at the bottom is 7A38 708L (actually p/n 7A38708LXS17 in full), which is maybe what is confusing you.

Yellowing / staining of the silvery white 708L dial is less common. However you'll often see it on the 710L dial used in the stainless 7A38-7190 and stainless 7A38-7280/9. There's a particularly bad example of it on eBay at the moment, offered by a Romanian seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321860651441

He describes it as: rare Seiko 7a38 quartz chronograph men's watch nice yellowish dial day date 1/10:roll:

As you've correctly surmised this yellowing is caused by moisture ingress. Problem is that the yellowing is very likely happening under the dial lacquer. Have a read of this thread about a similar coloured 702L dial in a stainless 7A28-7020.

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12662094-some-light-7a28-restoration-possibly-

What Calum is proposing is a little drastic, I'll grant you. :o

My own (minimal) experience of attempting to 'clean' a 7A38 708L dial is documented in another thread:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12794459-shooting-the-breeze-random-ramblings-just-yours-truly-thinking-aloud-

I would be VERY hesitant about using any strong chemical (even in diluted form) - particularly Ammonia to clean your dial. :/

September 18, 2015 at 4:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nigel K

You are absolutely correct. I re-checked the case back and it is indeed 7A38-7060 (I clearly need to get reading glasses!). The staining is not too bad - I don't think a casual observer would notice so might just leave it rather than risk doing more damage. I'm going to focus on making sure there is no more moisture ingress. Will renew the seals on the pushers and the back case and put some oil at the oil points. Is there anything else that you would suggest?

You quoted the part # for the dial - does that mean it is possible to get a replacement dial?

Thank you for your help.

September 20, 2015 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

If you're going to renew the pusher O-rings, don't forget to do the crown post seal, as well. Plus of course a smidgen of Seiko silicone grease on the O-ring seals and case-back gasket.

Unlikely you'll find a replacement dial; it's long since been discontinued, but you could try quoting that part number to Seiko UK on the off-chance they might have one.

PS - I'll edit your original topic title: 7A38 - 7080 White dial face has started to yellow to read 7A38-7060. ;)

September 20, 2015 at 1:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nigel K

Thanks. I'll also try Seiko USA to see if I have any luck.

September 23, 2015 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bergonzi237

Reading this has just answered a question I was going to raise concerning my newly bought 7A38 7060, which has a silver dial ( not discolouring) 7A38 708L-T. Now I know this is normal I can sigh a relief that I haven't bought a Franken! It does however have 3 nasty scratches on the crystal. Where can I get a flat 32mm 1.5mm crystal from please?

Also, how do upload a photo to insert in such a thread please?

--

Best wishes

Nick:)

September 8, 2019 at 2:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Nick.

You will occasionally see the odd stainless 7A38-7060 with a discoloured 708L dial, but this problem is far less common than it is with the 710L dial.

To answer your two questions:

You can pay well over the odds to one of the sharks on eBay for a mis-represented generic mineral glass, but personally I'd recommend Cousins UK.  This has been discussed a few times in the Crystals and Gaskets thread. The choice is yours, but I'd suggest using either the Cousins 'cheapie' p/n F150CMH320 or a Sternkreuz XMF320.927 (which should theoretically have the correct polished bevel edge).

To upload a photo, you'll first need to host it remotely. See this somewhat out-dated thread: How to upload a photo to this forum .... but the principle is still the same.

September 11, 2019 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.