Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering > Hand alignment out by half second

Christian

Hello, as this is my first post I introduce myself. I'm Chris, a german guy located in Rome and have recently begun to collect some 7AX8s, despite my vow to NOT buy quartz watches any more, but I just can't resist the charm and solid build quality of the 7AX8 series.

So this is my problem: after having partly dismantled and cleaned a 7a28-703b with a stuck minute counter hand, it came back to life, but disconcertingly both the second and minute chrono hands were misaligned by half a second. It's not a non-hitting-the-markers-spot-on problem, they are consistently out by half a second. I didn't touch them at all, so how come? I tried to nudge the hands with a tooth pick, but they would just jump forward by one second, not permitting intermediate adjustments. Does this have something to do with the stepper motors and residual magnetism? Shall I try to pull out the crown and leave it for some time to let any residual magnetism dissipate?

Is there a way to adjust the hands in intermediate positions without taking them off?

Thank you very much!

Chris.

February 27, 2016 at 2:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Chris.

You say that you 'partly dismantled' it, (in your efforts to sort out a stuck minute counter hand). Did that include removing any of the chronograph bridges and the intermediate gears ? If so, it's possible that you replaced one of them a gear tooth out. I've done it myself a couple of times - on one occasion I remember, on a work colleague's 7A48-7000. The only answer is to pull the hand(s) and carefully re-set it on the mark. Edit: I found the thread I wrote up: http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8569376 - and quote:

Originally posted by myself on January 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

You'll notice the 30 minute and sweep second hands are slightly off their marks. That's simply because I'd left them on the ends of their spindles while I was messing about with their bridges, so I might be an odd tooth out, either way. I'll re-fit them properly later.

February 27, 2016 at 4:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Christian

Hi Paul, yes, in order to gain access to the minutes counter bridge the chrono second hand bridge must first be removed. Still learning much stuff and understood that it's just a problem of meshing teeth! And thinking of it, maybe it's easier to work on the gears instead of prying hands off? Besides, working on the same problem on a 7a38 6020 I screwed the bridge on, not noticing (aargh) that it wasn't completely set and the bearing of the main gear popped out. I pushed it back into place but as soon as I tightened the screws some friction built up and the final result is that the minute counter hand is still stuck. Nudging the hand with a tooth pick it would only move backward! I must strip it down again to have a deeper look and see if the problem is similar to yours or else I might need a new bridge. :(

Chris

February 28, 2016 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.