Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering > 7A38-7190 (?) - chrono stops working ~ 10 minutes

antitraffic

Hi guys,

I should begin by saying that I'm somewhat new to watches, so please bear with me.

I recently purchased this 7A38-7190 at a thrift store and have a few concerns. The biggest issue is that the 1/10s counter in the chronograph stops at the 10 minute mark. The second and minute counters both continue to run and the watch otherwise works fine, but at exactly 10 minutes, the "fun wheel" stops running.

As I was trying to research this issue and find other examples of the 7A38-7190, I didn't find anyone else mentioning this problem, nor did I find any 7190s that looked like my duo-tone.

I'm interested in learning to work on watches and since this was a relatively low-cost purchase ($30) I was thinking this may be a good piece for me to tinker with, but wondering if A) I'm in way over my head with this repair and B) am I working with a "frankenwatch"?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil

May 15, 2016 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ketap

Hi, it is normal that it stops after 10 minutes. ;)

May 15, 2016 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

antitraffic

Aha, well I've just proved my ignorance, but am glad to hear that this is the case. Thanks for the info!

May 15, 2016 at 2:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Apologies for the late reply, Neil. Yes, it's an inbuilt energy saving feature. As Carlo ('Ketap') wrote, it's perfectly normal. :)

I guess Seiko's designers thought that most people would be fed up with watching it spin round for longer than 10 minutes. :lol:

When (after 10 minutes have elapsed) you press the two o'clock pusher button to stop the chronograph function, the 1/10s hand will advance from the temporarily parked '0' position to wherever it would have been, had it continued running. Clever stuff, eh ? 8)

Once I'm sure you've read this, I'll move this thread to the Workshop Tech Tips forum section, where you probably would have found the answer, in another similar thread. ;)

May 15, 2016 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hi, Neil.

One other point of yours, I'd omitted to reply to earlier was your sentence:

As I was trying to research this issue and find other examples of the 7A38-7190, I didn't find anyone else mentioning this problem, nor did I find any 7190s that looked like my duo-tone.

You are partly correct, in that there is no topic on any of the three 7A38-7190 variants in the 7A38-xxxx Model Specific forum section.

However, I am sure I've mentioned all of them at some point. ;)

There is your two-tone with the light grey dial; the all stainless with silvery-white dial SAA053J and the all-over gold-tone SAA056J.

There is also the black chrome coated 7A38-7180 SAA055J which uses the same watch case and style of p/n B1412(D) bracelet.

Strangely, there's no data (at all) for the two-tone 7A38-7190 on Seiko Oceania's database, but by extrapolation, I think it's fairly safe to assume that it was sales code SAA054J - and that it's missing bracelet was Seiko p/n B1412(C).

They're all relatively common, the two-tone is more usually found in Europe, rather than in the States. Not sure if you've seen it, but there's a stupidly priced ($550 Buy-it-Now) NOS example that's been re-listed by an Italian eBay seller oldantiquestyle (Alberto Ulmi, previously known as goffre78 and valentinasex) for months on end. Trust me, they're not 'SUPER RARE' per his title. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182130047313

May 16, 2016 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

antitraffic

Thanks for the helpful information!

As a matter of fact, I had seen that "super rare" posting a few times, while fruitlessly trying to find a replacement bracelet (which, from what I gather is something of a wild goose chase).

Thanks again to everyone with the helpful responses!

May 16, 2016 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.