Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > In the beginning there was Seiko Quartz - the World's First .... > Seiko B&R 2628-0040

Phil

When I first saw this watch years ago it was one of those moments when you think "gotta get me one of those". They came out in 1981-83 and must have inspired the Bell & Ross designs from the 90's as you can see more than a passing resemblance.

I love the quirky cockpit design and I will try out a few straps on this one probably plump for a nato. Found and bought on the Japanese market and possibly one of those rare Seiko's that people will want to own in the future

Regards Phil

May 28, 2016 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Nice, now I want one  :o   

May 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Don, try looking for a Seiko B&R 2628-0040 instead - one of those brain dead moments :roll: perhaps Paul could change the heading

June 1, 2016 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Duly corrected, Phil. ;)

Edit: Now that we're able to google the correct model number, what should come near the top of the search results, but this:

http://www.thewatchsite.com/8-seiko-citizen-trading-post/38623-fs-seiko-b-r-2628-0040-military-cockpit-style-watch-175-a.html

.... A For Sale advert for a similar Bell & Ross lookalike Seiko 2628-0040 posted on SCWF's Trading Post from January 2013.

Indeed, that photo of the 2628A movement looks very similar, Phil. There was me thinking you'd improved your camera skills. :P

June 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Thank you kind sir. Ha just read your post yes my camera skills need a lot of work :lol:

June 2, 2016 at 12:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hi_bri

Phil,

You provided the inspiration so I went ahead a got one decent 2628-0040:

The crystal will probably need to be replaced but I'll likley have a hard time finding a NOS.  Might just need to measure it out.

Regardless, with rare watches in the lower price range I try to get an almost junk version for parts, so here is my other one:

This one on the right hand still keeps good time but with age the black plastic cover around the crystal  has become very brittle and cracks off with the slightest pressure.  Not sure how this once could be repaired, but it's now with me for parts.

Cheers,

--

-Brian

September 16, 2016 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Nice one Brian, quirky little things are'nt they. Do you know they also made them in green although I've never seen one. Don't wear mine that often as you say the plastic surround will by now be so brittle and once it gets chipped/broken that's the watch and all it's value gone.

I like it :D

October 11, 2016 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phil

Interesting ad with a B2 Stealth bomber first flight 1989 but introduced in apparently in 1997. Nice work Mr Wong

March 6, 2017 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That's not an 'ad', Phil - it's one of Thian's montages. You know - Thian Wong on SCWF. He's been knocking them out for years - background subjects are usually cars (see his YouTube video) or military planes, sometimes flowers, etc. That looks like one of his earlier efforts. Got to agree that the B2 Stealth bomber is a bit 'ahead of its time' for the 2628-0040. Decades even. Perhaps a B-52 with it's distinctly analogue cockpit would have been more appropriate. :lol:

March 7, 2017 at 5:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.