Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering > 7A38-7190 - new crystal, gaskets

Igor384

Hello, hope this is in the right section.

I have a 7A38-7190 in need of some care that I found in a second hand shop.

Can someone please tell me where I can get a sapphire crystal and pusher/caseback/bezel gaskets?

If possible, product numbers also please. Also, if I'm missing anything? Are there pusher springs, etc?

I understand that a lot of standard parts will do the job, but I'm not sure what sizes I need, etc.

July 24, 2016 at 6:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hello, Igor.

Not exactly the correct forum section. Your post probably better belongs here:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/show/6600711 Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering

I'll move the thread there presently, once I know you've read my reply.

The forum tries to encourage self-help. May I suggest you start by reading these two threads in that forum section:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7187327 Crystals and gaskets

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7375322 My 'patented' Pusher Circlip / C-clip Removal Tool

July 25, 2016 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Not sure why you would want to fit a sapphire crystal, when the original Seiko Hardlex is only toughened mineral glass. :/

The dimensions of the crystal you would need are 31.0mm diameter x 1.5mm thick. That'll cost you £14.50 + VAT in Sapphire glass.

Personally I'd recomend a Sternkreuz p/n MSM310 (£1.50 + VAT) or Cousins own 'cheapie' p/n F150CMH310 (£0.70 + VAT).

Part numbers for pusher O-ring seals are EG0060B01 and FH3181B01 for the case-back gasket.

Like the crystals you can order them from Cousins UK (they stock the O-rings as p/n EG0060, without 'B01').

No idea what other parts you might be missing, without seeing some photos of the watch.

Also, you haven't said whether it's the all-stainless / stainless two-tone or all-over gold plated version (different pusher finishes).

You can find more part number information by interrogating Seiko's database:

http://service.seiko.com.au/pls/seiko/f?p=104:20:971778364523748:Go:NO:RP::

July 25, 2016 at 4:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Igor384

Seiko7A38, thank you for the extensive response. I wasn't expecting that much helpful info!

I have the all-stainless model. My rationale for going with a sapphire crystal was that it would be much more resilient to desk diving as part of my current rotation, though I noticed in the Crystal and Gaskets thread that the Sternkreuz replicates the bevel of the original crystal pretty accurately, so that's definitely an option. 

I suspect that there isn't much missing from the watch, as I may have been the first person to open it. The pushers are pretty sticky, but the original pusher gaskets and c clips are all there.

I'm hoping that a crystal and gasket change and a new battery is all that's needed. Luckily, the watch even came with the original bracelet with what looks like most of the links. I've included an old photo below.

August 9, 2016 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hello, Igor.

Glad you found the thread again, after I'd moved it. :)

Just to clarify a couple of points for you. Regarding your:

..... though I noticed in the Crystal and Gaskets thread that the Sternkreuz replicates the bevel of the original crystal pretty accurately,

There's a lot of information in that thread - and several references to various Sternkreuz alternative replacement cystals.

You possibly may have mis-construed what I've written, so just to clarify ....

The Sternkreuz p/n MSM310 which I recommended is straight sided. It has neither a 'lead in' bevel nor a decorative polished bevel edge. If you want that then I'd go for the cheaper Cousins p/n F150CMH310, which is probably cosmetically as close to the original Seiko p/n 310W62JN01 as you'll find. The advantage I found with the Sternkreuz MSM was that they were much tougher. I've fitted dozens of them - I've never broken or scratched one yet. 

With regard to your: I'm hoping that a crystal and gasket change and a new battery is all that's needed.

I presume the gasket you're referring to is the case-back gasket ? There is usually no need to replace the crystal gasket unless it is damaged. In fact, it's far easier to re-use the original crystal gasket, because it's been partially compressed. Hence the rationale of using the Sternkreuz MSM's (without the 'lead-in' bevel) as described in the Crystal & Gaskets thread. ;)

Good to see that your watch is still fitted with the original Seiko p/n B1405S bracelet. So many of these watches turn up on eBay fitted with alternative replacements. Like many Seiko folded link construction bracelets of the period, the B1405.E is prone to stretching and ultimately, failure of the small 'U' section interconnecting components. The joint between the 4th and 5th links on your bracelet looks a bit precarious. If you put the watch into daily rotation, wear it carefully.

August 10, 2016 at 3:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.