Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Txx General Discussion Area > 7T32 Daytona and 7T34 Flightmaster

Flemming Andersen

New member with some questions. I got a small ensemble of Automatic watches that I use when I´m off duty from my job, and they will not be scratched or dinked, some high end and some mid tier. I just bought two Chronograph quartz to wear as beaters as I work, so I'm not collecting Seiko's. My question is what would be a fair price to pay for these, and how old are they respectively. 

(Ebay images linked via Google not displayed).

Both sellers has been very honest in the description of the watches, one being polished (maybe to much) and the other with swirl marks and light scratches. I payed 199 Euro for the Flightmaster and 180 Euro for the Daytona. All photos are from the sellers. 

August 2, 2016 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hello, Flemming.

A couple of points:

This forum does not provide a free valuation service for new 'drop-in' members.

The eBay auction images you attempted to hot-link were not correctly displayed in your post - just (very) large 'space-balls'.

Whereas most of us know what a 7T34 Flightmaster is, I have no idea which 7T32 model number you are calling a 'Daytona'.

To give you any more information we'd need to know the full 7T3x-xxxx case models numbers and the 6-digit serial numbers.

Either please post the photos in the correct manner - per this thread. Or alternatively you could link the ended eBay listings.

August 3, 2016 at 4:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Christian

He is referring probably to the 7T32-7G20 model, a heavy diver style model and the tooliest watch of the 7T range, which bears a certain resemblance to the Rolex Daytona.

I'm afraid he paid too much for it anyway.

Chris

--
August 3, 2016 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A certain resemblance, Chris ? :/ If that's supposed to look anything like a Daytona, then I'm a Dutchman. :P

August 3, 2016 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Christian

Well, the heavy layout and bold shape of the case and lugs, knurled pushers and indices are actually quite similar, as well as the large slanting bezel. And the 7G20 has a particularly strong (for a Seiko) Oyster type bracelet too.

Chris

August 4, 2016 at 3:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You're probably correct about the (mis)use of the Daytona nickname for the Seiko 7T32-7G20 SNA225P1, Chris.

The earliest reference I could find to it was a thread on the old Network54 SCWF, dating back to January 2008:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1200600289/Seiko+Daytona+Chronograph

The mis-nomer seems to have stuck. :roll:

Personally, I just don't see the resemblance:

There are plenty of other Seiko quartz chrono's that might better deserve the 'Daytona' moniker.

BTW - You were correct about the OP having paid too much. Creation Watches and Chronograph.com have them new for less.

August 4, 2016 at 4:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Christian

I still stick to my opinion about the loose resemblance to the Rolex. The photo shows the succesor to the 7T32-7G20 - with the lesser 7T62 movement, and apart from the 2 missing pushers the watches are aesthetically identical.

August 4, 2016 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Oops ! My bad.  You are perfectly correct, Chris ....

The image I posted as a comparison was the 7T62-0CV0 SNA225P1, as opposed to the 7T32-7G20 SDWE23P1.

.... which of course looks even less like a Rolex Daytona, with the two extra pushers ! :P

August 5, 2016 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.