Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering > Seiko 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 hands

edmer79

Hi All,

I am looking for a minute hand for my 7A28-7120 RAF Gen 1.

Could anybody help me or tell me where I can buy it?

Thanks

December 24, 2016 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

To partly answer your question, here is a copy and paste of a reply I wrote in response to a similar question from another owner of a 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1.

Finding the correct replacement original hands, NOS, for these watches nowadays is going to be nigh on impossible, with the number of RAF Gen 1's in collectors hands. If you've checked Seiko's database, then you'll aready know their part numbers are 12BH4ZSH / M - and they were only used on the 7A28-7120. Or at least these particular Seiko part numbers were. The ℗ symbol on the dial stands for Promethium, the MOD spec'd lume compound used on these watches. The hands themselves are nothing special, and their pattern looks quite similar to a few other 7Axx hand designs - very much like those used on the 7A28-7040 / 9 and stainless 7A38-7020 / 9 (except those are painted white; lumed with the normal Tritium lume compound). So it's just a matter of identifying exactly which pattern they are, getting hold of a used set of those, stripping them of their paint and existing lume, then getting them professionally re-lumed.

Once you've read this, I'll move this thread to the Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering forum section, where it ideally belongs. ;)

December 26, 2016 at 10:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.