Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-7070 SAA031J - Stainless 'Diver' (Silver Anodized) - includes 7A38-7075 ZFM

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So here we are - 2017 and the forum coming up to 5 years old in 3 weeks time. I'd started out in late January 2012 with the best of intentions; one of my primary stated goals had been to create a 7A38-xxxx model specific topic for all 80+ Seiko 7A38 variants. But up until today, there were still only 30 topics in this section, with some notable omissions. :(

Reasons are simple:

1) I've allowed myself to get side-tracked on a number of occasions, by the non-Seiko branded stuff (which is a particular interest of mine) and have wasted countless hours monitoring and writing about eBay shenanigans.

2) Just keeping the existing 30 model specific topics (and the 7A28-7120 RAF Gen. 1 PriceWatch thread) updated with the latest auction listings / sales results is almost a full time job in itself.

3) Although I had planned to retire at the end of August last year and concentrate on the website, my employers asked me to stay on - and in the last 4 months have put in more hours than I did before ! The client company I now work for (as a contractor) strictly monitors internet usage and is very restrictive in the sites you can access via their network (including PhotoBucket), which makes it impractical, if not almost impossible to post anything while I'm at work, even during quiet periods.

Anyway, enough of the excuses. I've got a couple of days off and I'm going to attempt to write up a new topic in this section - covering one such notable omission - the stainless 7A38-7070 SAA031J (and the 7A38-7075 ZFM version). Why this one ? Well, it's a very popular model - many people's favourite and during last month, December 2016 there were half a dozen examples listed on eBay - including one particularly exceptional NOS example. So I thought I'd write them up while they're still relatively fresh in my mind.

January 1, 2017 at 6:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Before I go any further, I should clarify something. It's not as if we've completely ignored the 7A38-7070 previously (by not having a model specific thread). There are dozens of photos of them in the WRUW thread, plus numerous forum topics dicsussing various aspects of the model. So let me first put a stake in the ground by linking the relevant pre-existing topics.

This was the most recent - Nigel's short thread about his pair with close-ish serial numbers: 7A38 Brothers

The following topics aren't in any particular order - neither chronological (date created / last updated) nor importance ....

Simply as I'd remembered them. If I've missed any obvious threads, please drop me a PM and I'll add them to the list. ;)

This topic documents the forum's most important contribution to restoration of a 7A38-7070 - viz. the repro' bezel insert.

Replacement 7A38-7070 bezel replacement ideas. (If you don't want to read right through it, at least check out page 3).

This thread covers the SAAF (South African Air Force) issued 7A38-7070: SAAF Chrono's 7A28-7040 & 7A38-7070

This thread covered the ZFM (Brazilian manufactured) 7A38-7075 variant, including one particularly nice example ....

Mercado Libre / Mercado Livre - Time to get REAL - though in future I will be adding any further sightings to this thread.

Kind of a strange one, I'll grant you, but here I wrote about my abortive attempts to build a 7A28-7040 / 7A38-7070 Franken.

Are 7A28 and 7A38 modules interchangeable? Indeed are all 7Axx movements ? (Thread includes useful dimensions).

Here are a couple of topics on the subject of 7A38-7070 hands (two different types of hour and minute hand were used):

Reluming hands - specifically obsolete & NLA 7A38 hands (the conclusion by Simon is here) and 7A38-7070 hands?

One of many eBay shenanigans I've written about: April Fool's Day 7A38-7070 on eBay Germany - Caveat Emptor !!!

Lastly, a nice gesture - a charity auction on TZ-UK: A 'previously owned' modded 7A38-7070 which may look familiar.

January 1, 2017 at 6:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

O.K., now where was I ? Oh Yes - the 7A38-7070 which appeared on eBay briefly in December that prompted me to start this thread. Over the years, I've seen a few 'almost mint' examples and been lucky enough to buy one for a very reasonable price. But unless my memory has completely failed me, I don't think I've ever seen a NOS (new old stock) example, or one described as such before. Often, even with the best condition 'near mint' used examples, there's some small flaw, such as a mark on the black laquer of the bezel insert, or polishing up of the silver anodized coating on the bezel's finger grips; scratches on the bracelet, clasp or case-back which ultimately let them down. This suffered none of those defects and still had the protective film and JWC inspection sticker on the case-back.

Unfortunately, it was being offered by an Italian eBay seller whom I have little time for and dislike intensely, the profiteering re-seller cmax-27862 - someone I wouldn't deal with as a matter of principle. I've yet to establish whether this was yet another instance of his usual modus operandi - snatch and grab / re-sell for fast profit, as was the used stainless 7A38-7000 he listed the same day - on December 23rd. But regardless, it was a very nice 7A38-7070, probably the best I've seen. Compared to some of the ludicrous prices asked for NOS 7A38's, by other Italian eBay sellers, his Buy-it-Now for 1000 Euros (or Best Offer) wasn't that outlandish. I didn't take a screen print of the listing while it was live, but for the time being at least, you can view all the details on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132042687231

Raro Seiko Quartz Cronograph 7A38-7070 Nos Day Date Box Seiko Quartz De Luxe

Raro Seiko Quartz chronograph sports 100 Modello 7A38-7070 AO Nos tutto originale e funzionante vetro perfetto cinturino originale chiusura logo SQ con tag scatola Seiko Quartz de luxe da mia collezione.

The listing ended in the early hours of Christmas Day morning. Someone bought themselves a very nice Xmas present. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132042687231

Although eBay typically shows it as having sold for the full 1000 Euros Buy-it-Now asking price, the eBay.com search result on ended listings shows it sold for Best Offer accepted:

In such cases, I'd normally use Goofbid's eBay Best Offer History tool to obtain the correct result, but it isn't any help in this case. :(

All it shows are two rejected offers, equivalent to 400 and 450 Euros. So whether that means someone hit the Buy-it-now button and paid the full 1000 Euros, or possibly the seller accepted a Best offer for 800 Euros (his usual 20% average reduction) and Goofbid simply failed to pick it up, as sometimes happens. Your guess is as good as mine. :/ Or perhaps not in this case8)

January 1, 2017 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

From memory, and the manner in which I'd captioned the photos (as 'AndYetAnother'), that  NOS 7A38-7070 was the 4th example of this model to be listed on eBay in December 2016 - but it wasn't the last. Here, hopefully in some sort of chronological order are the other 'lesser' examples which sold last month.

The first, which was listed by an eBay seller from the Dominican Republicin the first week of the month, had already been referred to by Rob Benham in a post in Nigel's 7A38 Brothers thread: I expect you know, but one just made a fair price on the bay. Nice.

The listing included a total of 22 photos (12 eBay hosted images and 10 more in a gallery embedded in the description). Incredibly the seller was offering to supply more ! :roll: Many, particularly the 'head on' views were quite similar, so I've only uploaded 12 of them.

All 22 of the seller's images can be viewed here: http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/chronodiver_watch/library/38_Diciembre

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311753818249

SEIKO Chronograph Sports 100 Day Date Rotating Bezel S/Steel Cal.7A38 Tachymeter

Watch is working great keeping good time. Quartz movement working properly.

stainless Steel Case

Chronograph/Day Date functions are in good working order

some scratches and dents for time and wear

fresh new battery.

Authentic Seiko Bracelet with engrave/Branded Seiko Logo 

please see pictures for more details 

see pictures below for more cosmetic conditions

if you need more info or any Picture please ask glad to help and answer any questions you may have. 

All items sold at auction are sold "AS IS".

I do my best to describe each item completely and post clear and detailed photos.

IF YOU NEED MORE INFO PLEASE ASK GLAD TO HELP 

ITEM WILL BE SHIP FROM DOMINICAN REPUBLIC I USE A PRIVATE COURIER THAT ALLOWS ME TO USE THE USPS SERVICE THAT WAY I CAN KEEP FRE SHIPPING FOR THE U.S. AND ECONOMY SHIPPING

FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD,TRACK NUMBER WILL SHOW MOVEMENT BETWEEN 3 TO 4 DAYS AFTER THE TRACK NUMBER IS PROVIDED PLEASE BE PATIENT THE PARCEL IS TRAVELLING IN THOSE DAYS

Manufacturer:Seiko Chronograph 100

Diameter: w/o crown : 40mm

Lug to Lug Tip: 42 mm

Dial Color: Black

Movement Type:Quartz Chronograph Day Date 7A38 15J 

If you still feel you need more information’s for confident buying, then please contact us.

We guarantee all items to be 100% authentic and as described unless otherwise noted.

Pictures represent a major part of item description - Selling the item AS IS and without returns or refund.

I have not cleaned or serviced these watch or movement and have no idea when a service was done to it.

Remember these item is vintage (15 to 30 Years or More).

I cannot guarantee that is working a 100%.

We sell USED vintage watches. Watch has not been checked for timing accuracy, even though it runs - it may keep time well or it may need servicing.

Item is a pre-owned,no guarantee, box or papers provided.

This Item has some wear on the case, crystal and Patina on hands and dial.

The item will have visual and physical cues typical of an item that has been used and handled.

The photo’s give a really good sense of the style and condition of this Item.

Any defects not mentioned but visible in the pictures will be considered as described.

If you have any doubt, enquires or need more information, then e-mail us BEFORE you bid.

Please bid only if you intend to purchase this item.

If there is a problem with any item you receive, Please contact me before leaving negative feedback. I should be able to resolve most problems.

That one sold on 9th December for $275 (approx. £224) after 24 bids. The listing received 350 views while it was active.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scratch the 'hopefully in some sort of chronological order', bit  - I'm actually skipping a couple (for now) for reasons that will become apparent in ensuing posts. :P Here's the 'next' one listed by a US eBay seller in the third week of December.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252687925983

Vintage Seiko Quartz Chronograph Sports 100 #7A38-7070 Divers Watch-works

Vintage Seiko quartz chronograph Sports 100 #7A38-7070 watch. Running strong and keeping good time. Case measures 40.5 mm. Original bracelet. Used condition, view pictures for condition.

That eBay auction for a 7A38-7070 ended in the early hours of Boxing Day morning, selling for $200 (approx. £163) after 12 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252687925983

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This watch was listed by a UK seller on Christmas Eve, as a 3-day 'private' auction listing, without any mention of the model number (let alone even '7A38') in either the title or description - but it did remarkably well, regardless, particularly in view of its condition.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262776263245

VINTAGE SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 WRISTWATCH.

VINTAGE SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 WRISTWATCH.

A FINE HANDSOME VINTAGE GENTS SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100 WRIST WATCH WITH THE ORIGINAL GENUINE SEIKO BRACELET. MY WRIST IS APPROXIMATELY 7.25 INCHES IN DIAMETER THAT IT FITS FINE, IT CAN OF COURSE BE SIMPLY ADJUSTED EITHER WAY BY RELOCATING THE PINS ON THE CLASP.

THIS MODEL I THINK WAS PRODUCED IN 1983 AND I HAVE OWNED IT FOR MOST OF THAT TIME. IT HAS BEEN EXTREMELY RELIABLE AND KEPT BRILLIANT TIME. IT WAS UNUSED FOR FOR A CONSIDERABLE WHILE UNTIL EARLY THIS YEAR. RATHER A RELUCTANT SALE REALLY.

I BELIEVE THIS MAY BE QUITE A RARE MODEL, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANOTHER FOR SALE. 

FREE POSTAGE WITHIN THE UNITED KINGDOM. 

Measuring diameter 40mm. X 10 mm. depth. All measurements are approximate. 

Considerable care has been taken in the photography of this item, although it is rarely possible to replicate a perfect representation.

The auction ended on December 27th, selling for a surprisingly strong (given the over-polished worn condition) £246.05 after 10 bids.

January 2, 2017 at 4:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's one of the other eBay listings from earlier in December 2016 that I omitted from the previous post, because it warrants looking at in a little more detail. It was listed for the first time by the Italian eBay seller angeli_65 in the first week of December.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272474918468

Vintage Seiko Chronograph Watch 7A38-7070 Sports 100 "mint condition"

MEGA RARE Seiko Chronograph Watch 7A38-7070 Sports 100 

Seiko Sports in excellent condition / almost like new

Fully functional. Completely original Seiko.

Original Box Seiko

Piece coming from my private collection.

Typically speculatively over-priced with a 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $900 - both Italian eBay seller angeli_65 and her partner strega_68 frequently list their watches at DOUBLE what they actually sell for. But this listing was also deceptive for another reason. It certainly wasn't completely original Seiko - at least not original to this watch. Zooming in on the 4th image, the incorrect replacement bracelet fitted appeared to be a Seiko p/n Z1118S, normally found on the 7A38-7010, -701A and -701B ! :o

The first listing ended on 8th December ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272474918468

But then it was mysteriously re-listed and sold - supposedly again for the full $900, for a second time on Boxing Day afternoon ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272486016689

However, an eBay search on ended listings showed that both listings had ended as a result of Best Offer(s) accepted.

According to Goofbid's eBay Best Offer History tool it sold (for the second time) against a Best Offer of $400.

The previous offer (for which the sale presumably fell through) having been for $450.

January 2, 2017 at 9:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The reason I'd previously omitted to mention this other 'lesser example' of 7A38-7070, which was listed on eBay in December, is that it's still available. It was originally listed with a Buy-it-Now price of 350 Euros by Italian eBay seller critelli.andrea, failed to sell and was re-listed for another 10 days with unsurprisingly  the same result. :roll:

He re-listed again a couple of days ago with the Buy-it-Now reduced to 320 Euros - which IMO is still way too expensive for a watch in this condtion. The seller has embedded a total of 14 photos in the description, but I've only uploaded 8 as a few are quite similar.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282310758642

MAST DEGLI OROLOGI ANNI 80 

VERO E ORIGINALE SEIKO QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH 7A38-7070 VINTAGE 

OROLOGIO IN DISCRETE CONDIZIONI

OROLOGIO ORIGINALE VINTAGE 

OROLOGIO IN DISCRETE CONDIZIONI SIA DI CASSA SIA BRACCIALE

QUADRANTE E CONTATORI SU FONDO NERO CON NUMERI E SCALE BIANCHE,

DOPPIA DATA NEL CONTATORE A ORE 3

GHIERA NERA CON INDICI IN BIANCO

BRACCIALE OYSTER ACCIAIO CON CHIUSURA LOGO SEIKO

COMPLETAMENTE FUNZIONANTE

IMMANCABILE PER UN COLLEZIONISTA SEIKO

OROLOGIO MOLTO AMBITO E RICERCATO DAGLI AMATORI E COLLEZIONISTI

January 3, 2017 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Strangely enough, the first 3 photos of any 7A38-7070 offered for sale (anywhere) in December, which I saved to my folder, were not from eBay, but a listing that first appeared on Yahoo Japan auctions on December 1st 2016.

As I hadn't planned to start writing up this topic, I didn't bother to take the screen prints of the Yahoo Japan listing at the time, that I'd otherwise have done. No matter, it seems. Because it's been re-listed quite a few times since. One thing I remember is that when he first listed it, the seller had the opening bid price set at 39,000 Yen and also possibly a higher Buy-it-Now figure (which escapes me).

Typically, since I took the screen prints below, in the most recent re-listing, the opening bid price has been reduced to 37,000 Yen. He's also changed the YJ hosted photos and embedded 5 more into the description. Throughout the various re-listings (usually of 4 days duration) the YJ item number has remained the same.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b240276614

Google translates the Japanese seller's description as follows:

SEIKO Co., Ltd. is an overseas model of the Speedmaster. 

Details: Move: 7A38-7070 is quartz. 

Case: Width (excluding crown) 40 mm · 12 mm thick, there are small scratches accompanying use, but it is generally beautiful. 

Glass: There are no scratches or the like that worsens visibility. 

Bezel: It is a bidirectional rotation type, it is about small scratches. 

Dial: Original, gray in dial for black. 

Calendar: English and date. 

Belt: Because it is original, there is one piece on the length of the belt only 16 cm, so it is possible to correspond to most people. 

Function: Each button, such as date adjustment and chronograph, will operate normally. 

Accessories: One remaining piece. 

Or more. This is a model with the day date function installed in 7 A 28, and almost does not appear even in the auction.

Even if it comes, it is a type without a bezel, and a small swing model with a width of about 38 mm.

This watch has a large swing of 40 mm and the gray of the in dial is very cool.

Because it is with a day date that also works for the business scene, it will be a very rare model.

Please enjoy the vintage Chrono of the 80 's. 

Shipping is only letter pack 510. 

I need your help by a no claim no return. 

... The image above photo-up was published in ...

(2016 December 22 day 8 hour 08 minute addition)

There is a thin line scratch over the end 43-50 minutes Atari of the windshield, but it does not have a problem with the visibility.

One thing that's obviously not correct about this watch is that at some point, someone has fitted a Speedmaster logo'd (5-hole adjustment ) clasp to the p/n B1241S bracelet - in place of the SQ logo'd (7-hole adjustment) original. As the seller states in his description, the 7A38-7070 was an export (overseas) model - the Speedmaster logo'd clasps were only fitted to JDM 7Axx variants.

January 3, 2017 at 8:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So there you have it - a total of seven 7A38-7070's which were offered for sale worldwide in December 2016 - the 'half a dozen' on eBay and the above example on Yahoo Japan auctions - an exceptional month for this model. I wouldn't want to give readers (or any potential buyers) the wrong impression that the 7A38-7070 is fairly common. I could probably crunch out some statistics and carry on uploading literally hundreds more photos of them, saved from past auctions, but to bring things back into perspective, I'm just going to add the only two 7A38-7070's that were listed / sold on eBay in the two preceding months of October and November 2016.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272399644145

Very rare Seiko Sports 100 quartz vintage chronograph watch 7a38 7070 -working!

Rare vintage Seiko Sports Quartz chronograph watch (7a38 7070) with day and date. Working very well indeed. This was the first commercially available Seiko chronograph to measure tenths of a second. A really great looking watch with fully working chronograph. Due to age it has some scratches (nothing major) on the glass and the rotating bezel does rotate but has a bit of grating feel to it. The back case cover has wear from someone trying to open it without proper tools unfortunately. The watch is all stainless steel and looks superb in real life even considering its age. Please see the photos which form part of the description. Thanks for looking - please see my other items.

Sold on 3rd October 2016 for £99 as a Buy-it-Now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272399644145

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222306508621

Seiko Chronograph Sports 100 Watch NOT WORKING FOR SPARES OR REPAIR

Seiko chronograph sport 100 watch

Not working for spares or repair only

Comes with broken original strap

Happy bidding

Sold on 16th November 2016 for £69 after 16 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222306508621

I guess that almost covers the spectrum of what's out there, condition-wise, but it would be very remiss of me not to mention here what is almost certainly the longest running eBay listing for a basket-case 7A38-7070 EVER. Unless you know different, of course. :P

This 'head only' 7A38-7070 - a non-runner '4U2FIX', missing its crown and stem; with mouldy lume, most of the hands rusted solid and a badly graunched bezel insert, has been (automatically) continuously re-listed by US eBay seller vanman2usa with an absolutely ludicrous Buy-it-Now price of $299.99  for probably something approaching 10 years !! :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161056294046

That it's still there after all this time is no great surprise. :roll: What amazes me is that there are actually 13 people watching it.

January 3, 2017 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

And so to the first re-listing of a previously sold 7A38-7070 for 2017. :roll:

In my 4th post I wrote up the details of three 'lesser' examples of the model which had sold on eBay in December 2016. The first was offered by an aptly-named seller from the Dominican Republic - chronodiver_watch. The auction ended on 9th December, with the 7A38-7070 selling for $275 after 24 bids. Seemed a little high, possibly, but nothing untoward.

Yesterday evening the seller re-listed it - exactly as before, with an opening bid price of $85, again for 5 days duration - the same total of 22 photos and description (which I'm not going to bother to re-post), but with no explanation as to why he was re-listing it. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401254602165

Out of curiosity, I checked the eBay seller's feedback and found this (left by the buyer against the previous listing):

The fact that the feedback has been revised (usually at the behest of the seller, after a dispute) leads me to suspect that the buyer wasn't happy with it. He probably originally left a negative feedback - though what his complaint was is now covered up. :/

January 6, 2017 at 4:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The re-listed eBay auction for the above 7A38-7070 ended a few moments ago, selling for $260 (approx. £214) after 21 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401254602165

January 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at January 3, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Strangely enough, the first 3 photos of any 7A38-7070 offered for sale (anywhere) in December, which I saved to my folder, were not from eBay, but a listing that first appeared on Yahoo Japan auctions on December 1st 2016.

As I hadn't planned to start writing up this topic, I didn't bother to take the screen prints of the Yahoo Japan listing at the time, that I'd otherwise have done. No matter, it seems. Because it's been re-listed quite a few times since. One thing I remember is that when he first listed it, the seller had the opening bid price set at 39,000 Yen and also possibly a higher Buy-it-Now figure (which escapes me).

Typically, since I took the screen prints below, in the most recent re-listing, the opening bid price has been reduced to 37,000 Yen. He's also changed the YJ hosted photos and embedded 5 more into the description. Throughout the various re-listings (usually of 4 days duration) the YJ item number has remained the same.

Bloody typical, innit ? :roll: I make a statement like ....

Throughout the various re-listings (usually of 4 days duration) the YJ item number has remained the same ....

and guess what happens ? :o

I hadn't been watching that 7A38-7070 on Yahoo Japan that closely, but I had observed the price coming down gradually ....

From 37,000 Yen to 35,000 Yen - then re-listed again (presumably retaining the same YJ item number) @ 35,000 Yen.

But in fact, the original listing had actually ended a few days ago - on 7th January - with the watch still unsold.

It seems the Japanese seller decided to re-list it again manually (rather than continuing to use YJ's auto re-listing feature) ....

.... so now it has a new item number. Though quickly skimming through it, photos and description are the same as before.

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c583613488

His latest reduced price is 34,000 Yen. I suspect there will be more interest when it eventually gets a bit closer to 30,000 Yen. :P

January 13, 2017 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A couple of days ago, the Japanese YJ seller re-listed his 7A38-7070 once again, with the opening bid reduced to 32,000 Yen.

Although the length of the description has increased significantly, it's the same item number; photos and description look the same.

Incidentally, the revised description translates as:

Extraordinary Rare Seiko Speedmaster 7 A 38 Day Date 6138 6139 Speed ​​Timer Chronograph Antique Vintage

Do I hear 30,000 Yen ? 

January 28, 2017 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Earlier today, I had a little browse (read nose around) on my old alma mater watch forum - RLT a.k.a. www.thewatchforum.co.uk

Can't say that I've been on there in months - and so ran a quick search to see if anyone was still posting anything about 7A38's.

I found a few new topics which included '7A38' (the first I'd seen in many months) and specifically 7A38-7070 in various posts.

They were all made by a comparatively new (to me) poster 'JimboJames1972'

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/107685  Anyone not done for the year? (posted 29th December)

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/107801  Servicing / Repair Seiko 7a38-7070 (Speedmaster)

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/108308  Freshly Serviced :) (thread started 17th January)

Given the timing of his posts and that 'Jimbo's 7A38-7070 was posted RMSD on 28th December, it's not exactly difficult to figure out which of those examples that had appeared on eBay in late December it was. My previous comments (above) included:

This watch was listed by a UK seller on Christmas Eve, as a 3-day 'private' auction listing, without any mention of the model number (let alone even '7A38') in either the title or description - but it did remarkably well, regardless, particularly in view of its condition.

The auction ended on December 27th, selling for a surprisingly strong (given the over-polished worn condition) £246.05 after 10 bids.

Still, 'Jimbo' seems pleased with it, which is all that really matters. Here are his photos from the various posts.

He appears to have dispensed with the original bracelet almost immediately and fitted a rather dubious-looking leather strap.

He subsequently sent the watch to Simon (Sir Alan) for fettling, including fitting a new (Yobokies' repro') bezel insert:

January 31, 2017 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The most recently re-listed Yahoo Japan auction for that 7A38-7070 fitted with a non-standard Speedmaster clasp, which first appeared on YJ at the beginning of December last year (and again had the same opening bid price of 32,000 Yen) ended earlier this afternoon. On this occasion, it finally managed to attract a couple of (literally 2) bidders, selling for 32,500 Yen (equivalent to $288.60 USD / £231.10 GBP).

February 4, 2017 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Checking my eBay watching page, it would appear that another 7A38-7070 sold earlier this afternoon - the extremely tatty looking example offered by Italian seller Andrea Critelli, which also originally dated back to the beginning of December last year.

Sold not for the reduced Buy-it-Now price of 320 Euros, which eBay would have you believe ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282339004197

But against a Best Offer.

According to Goofbid's eBay Best Offer History tool (here showing only the offers made against the most recent 10-day re-listing), somebody was stupid or desperate enough to eventually offer 270 Euros for this particularly poor example. The mind boggles. 

February 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-7070 was listed yesterday evening, by an Italian eBay seller with an opening bid price of 200 Euros.

Note the seller's use of the word 'originale' in the title, also used to describe the bracelet in his description.

I've commented before about watches appearing to have been painted - re-sprayed to improve their cosmetic condition. It appears to be a technique used mostly by Italian eBay sellers. I've occasionally been been proven wrong, maybe unintentionally tricked by the lighting of the seller's photographs. I don't think I'm sticking my neck out too far in saying that I believe the (original p/n B1241S) bracelet on this watch has been re-sprayed. Just look at that 4th photo. Even the clasp has been sprayed - all completely the wrong shade of silver-grey. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162404170117

Vendo orologio Seiko 7a38 7070 cronografo day date al quarzo anni 80 per eccellenza. Esemplare perfettamente funzionante. Guarnizioni nuove. Cinturino originale completo ed in ottimo stato. Introvabile in queste condizioni e a queste cifre. Fanno fede le foto dell'annuncio. Non si accetta la restituzione.

Incidentally, the Italian eBay seller is also advertising this watch on the free classified site, Subito.it.

Same set of photos (+1 extra) and a similar description, but with an asking price of 400 Euros. :roll:

http://www.subito.it/abbigliamento-accessori/seiko-7a38-7070-originale-arezzo-190206144.htm

February 22, 2017 at 5:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This defective 7A38-7070 was listed last weekend by a German eBay seller. According to the description, despite being missing all three pushers and the crown, it was still running. So perhaps there was still a broken? stem left in the movement. Apart from the missing components, the watch could have benefitted from a replacement bezel insert and a new crystal. In the first photo there also appears to be a fair amount of wear in the bracelet hinge pins. That all said, it might have made a comparatively cheap restoration project for someone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172539076069

Die Uhr ist läuft, aber keine knopfzellen.

DEFEKT!!

Keine Garantie und Rücknahme.

Despite the seller omitting to make any mention of the model number (or even '7A38') in his title and description, the listing still seemed to be attracting plenty of interest; last time I checked it had 48 watchers. The 5-day auction ended this morning, with the 7A38-7070 selling for 79.99 Euros after 19 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172539076069

February 24, 2017 at 9:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Speaking of eBay Germany, I suspect a good few readers will already have spotted this other 7A38-7070 that's currently on there - and similarly doesn't include any mention of the model number in the title and description. It was listed as a 10-day auction with an opening bid price of 1 Euro, over a week ago. I wouldn't personally go as far as to describe it's condition as 'Top' (as the German seller enthusiastically has), just simply a decent used example. Bidding is currently @ 136 Euros after 27 bids (I'm currently the high bidder, but don't expect to remain there for much longer). The auction is due to end in a day or so, on Sunday evening - at 'peak viewing time'. Might be worth watching to see what it eventually sells for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192106620923

Sammlumgsauflösung !

Hiermit löse ich ein Teil meiner Armbanduhren auf.

Es handelt sich um originale Uhren aus der Zeit von 1930 bis ca. Ende der 2000er

Die Uhren wurden immer trocken gelagert und befinden sich im Originalzustand.

Angebotene Uhr: 

Armbanduhr Seiko Sports 100 Chronograph aus dem Jahr 1983

Maße/Durchmesser: ca. 40mm ohne Kronen gemessen.

Präzises Quarzwerk läuft super (Batterie neu) Tag und Datumsanzeige, drehbare Lünette

Erhaltung Top! Leichte Lagrspuren, fast ungetragen !

Lieferung ohne Box oder Papiere.

Bitte die Bilder genau anschauen, es wurde extra große Bilder eingestellt. 

Der Versand erfolgt nur als versichertes Paket via DHL ! 

Es handelt sich um einen Privatverkauf, keine Rücknahme, Umtausch oder Garantie.

February 25, 2017 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above German eBay auction for a decent 7A38-7070 ended about 15 minutes ago, selling for 200.67 Euros after 30 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192106620923

Another eBay sales result, which I'd certainly not anicipated, indeed it took me by complete surprise - and hence I'd failed to spot earlier, is that a few days ago, that sorry-looking 'head only' 4U2FIX 7A38-7070, which had been re-listed ad nauseam for literally years on end by US eBay seller vanman2usa finally sold. Not for the ludicrous $299.99 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price, but for a mere $65. I'd guess that may just about cover his listing fees ! :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161056294046

February 26, 2017 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Reserved for Buyers Guide and Specification.

March 2, 2017 at 5:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.