Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > ebay 7A28-7040 possibly over-polished or something else?

StingyBeanCur

Semi-serious in having a go at this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302521394164

...but concerned that the over-contrasted images are hiding an enthusiastically polished case or re-finished hands/lumes.  Then one of the chronograph timer was indicated as not working. Not sure if that's a huge problem repair-wise.

Besides those, anything else I missed?

November 10, 2017 at 10:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I think you're being paranoid. :P

Looks like a fairly honest used example - just not particularly well photographed. That said, the case-back may have been given a light polish and the SQ clasp might have been re-brushed. Both look a little too shiny.

November 11, 2017 at 2:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Something I forgot to add. If complete originality is a major concern, watch out for (frequently undeclared) fitment of a Yobokies repro' bezel insert. They crop up on eBay quite regularly. It's a good way of giving a tired 7A28-7040 / -7049 a refresh. Easiest way to spot them is that the insert often looks too good compared to the condition of the rest of the watch (e.g. pristine insert with lots of nicks around the bezel lip). This watch looks O.K. in that respect. There is some minor loss of black lacquer on the inner rim of the insert.

November 11, 2017 at 3:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

StingyBeanCur

Haha, yes paranoid, indeed with all the scary examples out there posted in this forum. The info is invaluable. Not that bothered with bezel actually. Hopefully will be able to snag this. Thank you again for your advise :)

November 12, 2017 at 5:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.