Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > How to ruin a NOS

Rob Benham

I'm not that keen on the SGP but this one looked as nice as one in America some 4 years ago.  Back then the vendor declared that they had not been able to get the back off, so what one might find was a gamble.  I resisted it at $100. 

Now, this one is nearly in the same league, but they've declared they've damaged the back while fitting a battery.  So on the one hand, the circuit isn't destroyed, but they're not showing the damage, and not showing the innards.  Both I'd want to see before going to 'Fine' NOS prices.

Looking again, I'm not so sure about NOS.  There's possible SGP discolouration around the pushers and possibly a bit of human detritus near the right pusher.  It's funny the vendor should say this is solid stainless.  Well, I suppose it is.  Just not the stainless we know to be . . . well, stainless.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-7A38-727A-CHRONOGRAPH-GOLD-PLATED-BOXED-DAY-DATE-ALL-ORIGINAL/302634271138

February 16, 2018 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'm not sure what you're wittering on about, Rob. :/

The gold-tone 7A38-727A you linked in your post was classified as Used.

There is no claim made of the watch being NOS, 'solid stainless steel', nor any mention of a damaged case-back in the seller's description:

SEIKO 7A38 CHRONOGRAPH BOXED

For sale SEIKO 7A38 chronograph with original Seiko box with outer sleeve

This is the gold plated version with white Dail

Chronograph works 100% with inner dails at 3-6-9 and

The dial at 3 o,clock also shows the day-date

As well as 1/10 second recorder.

This watch is 100% original.

The dial and hands are unmarked.

There is 20 links and the clasp locks as it should.

On the glass there are faint marks. 

(These are hard to see with the eye but can been seen With a loupe glass) I try to be as honest as I can.

This is easy and cheaply changed but left as some folks like their watches untouched.

Please see the pictures as they show the watch.

I've tried to list as best I can, if I've made any error please advise and happy to update/change

Any questions happy to look to answer and replies will be posted for all to see

Watch will be sent recorded delivery so both buyer and seller has the trace number so all parties can track the delivery.

(Any bids from 0-10 feedback will be cancelled due to previous time wasters and non payers)

Please see my other items as more watches will be listed.

Happy ebaying.

February 19, 2018 at 4:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hang on a minute Rob ....

I've just re-read your post and picked up on a few phrases you included:

.... but they've declared they've damaged the back while fitting a battery.  

Looking again, I'm not so sure about NOS. There's possible SGP....

It's funny the vendor should say this is solid stainless. Well, I suppose it is.

Just not the stainless we know to be . . . well, stainless. (Unintended irony ?)

I suspect you were probably referring to that 'NOS' Gold-tone 7A38-7270, rather than the used 7A38-727A which you posted a link to:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-QUARTZ-7A38-7270-Chronograph-Watch-NEW-/142688483685

Those phrases tie up with parts of the seller's description:

If so, that watch was a Franken, which I'd already flagged up in this thread:

Heads Up on yet another 7A38 Franken(s) - Part 2 !! (on Page 7).

February 20, 2018 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob Benham

I'm not at all sure how this came about.  I know I saw one claiming Unused, and may have used the term NOS without it being literal.  However, this one, as you say doesn't make that claim.  The only thing I can think is I was battling with Photobucket at the time and it may have fused my brain.  As you've said in the past, a picture is worth a 1000 words, but it was a battle I lost despite using it since it was new.

February 20, 2018 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.