Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > Japanese eBay re-seller utsun_2014 - Caveat Emptor !!

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Over the last few months, I've noticed an increased level of activity by would-be profiteering Japanese eBay re-sellers, some of whom might appear to be acting as semi-official proxy sellers. In almost all cases, the watches that they are offering for sale, sometimes at outrageously inflated asking prices, are currently active or recently ended listings on Yahoo Japan auctions. Their plausible sounding eBay user names include: japanese.shop, fe-shop-japan and japanmegamall.

But there is another one, who is more active (relative to Seiko 7Axx's) than the other three put together, whose efforts are frequently best described as totally incompetent - utsun_2014. He appears to home in on just about every Seiko 7A38 listed on Yahoo Japan (bar one, which amusingly is still being re-listed ad nauseam by YJ re-seller swotlab). I've previously joked about his pathetic efforts in a number of threads in the 7A38-xxxx model specific area. Until now, primarily due to his ridiculously speculative mark-ups, he's been wholly unsuccessful.

September 22, 2018 at 4:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

On Wednesday of this week, a Japanese seller gachi_nana, presumably the bona fide owner of the watch, listed a stainless 7A38-7270 on Yahoo Japan, as a 7-day auction listing, with an opening bid price of 22,800 Yen - equivalent to approx. $202.50 US. It's not in the best of condition: the dial batons' lume looks manky, it's missing from the hands and is fitted with an unidentified non-original replacement bracelet, possibly aftermarket, fitted with a Seiko clasp.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w259131543

The listing included 10 hi-res photos. I've only bothered uploading 4 of them:

Google translates the Japanese seller's description as follows:

The seller's description makes no specific mention about the non-original bracelet fitted. At the time, I thought about writing it up in the 'Wrong Bracelet' thread, but because I was preoccupied with other stuff, and (hopefully to most people) it was so obviously an incorrect replacement, I didn't bother.

September 22, 2018 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

No surprise, the following day, Thursday 19th, the would-be profiteering Japanese re-seller utsun_2014 had it listed on eBay - in his typically incompetent slap-dash manner, with a 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $372 (or the option to make an offer). That might not sound too outlandish, but compared to the opening bid price on Yahoo Japan, it potentially represents a mark-up of almost 84% !! :o Funnily enough, I actually thought about starting this topic then, but didn't. So as I didn't take a screen print of the listing as it first appeared, this will have to suffice. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223154236177

As he frequently does, utsun_2014 made up his own 'enhanced' eBay listing title - in this case failing even to spell Excellent correctly.  For his descriptions, he obviously re-uses a template, copied from a previous listing - along with the usual irrelevant flowery dross and previous mistakes (note 7A38-6040 lower down).

As always he falsely claims to be an 'Official Shop of Japan' - when Buyee are Yahoo Japan's official partner and there are plenty of alternative genuine proxy services, offered by the likes of: FromJapan, Jauce, Japamart, ZenMarket, etc.

Instead of starting this thread, as I should have, I just habitually added his listing to my eBay watching page, along with all the other over-priced crap - and quite honestly, not expecting it to sell, thought no more of it, until ....

September 22, 2018 at 7:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This morning, I checked my eBay watching page and saw the listing had ended.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223154236177

According to WatchCount.com's Look-up tool, surprisingly, he accepted a comparatively low offer of $285 for it (versus his Buy-it-Now price of $372).

As confirmed by the eBay Purchase History

Note the relatively low feedback rating (10) of the possibly inexperienced buyer.

September 22, 2018 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Which makes this an interesting and rather amusing situation. The would-be profiteering re-seller utsun_2014 may have sold the watch on eBay, but he doesn't actually own it yet. As of  lunchtime today, there are still 3 days of the Yahoo Japan 7-day auction left to run, with no bids placed yet.

- and even more amusingly, it's set up with no early termination !! :lol:

September 22, 2018 at 8:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Update. Someone has just placed a bid on it. I wonder who that could be ? 

If it's not utsun_2014 (using his Yahoo Japan ID), he could be in big trouble. 

There's always a chance he might try to buy it via the 'back door' it I suppose. 

Questions need to be asked - specifically did he actually gain the YJ seller's permission to list the watch on eBay, in the first place ? Plus other lesser considerations, like wilful breach of copyright for using their photos.

September 22, 2018 at 9:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Well that was amusing to watch, albeit briefly. Pity it didn't go on a bit longer. The Yahoo Japan auction finished a couple of minutes ago. It was orginally scheduled to end @ 1:10pm (UK time), but was automatically extended by 5 minutes, due to late bids placed. It sold for ¥27,400 Yen after 9 bids, equivalent to approx. $243 USD / £184.55 GBP.

Which means that if would-be profiteering Japanese eBay re-seller utsun_2014 was the winning bidder, he would effectively only make $42 profit on the sale. :lol:

September 25, 2018 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Just looking again at the above YJ auction result, the encrypted winning bidder ID I*F*3*** only has a feedback rating of 1, so I'd suspect that wasn't utsun_2014. :/ Assuming he didn't win the YJ auction, it'll be interesting to see what cock and bull story he comes up with for his disappointed eBay buyer. :roll:

He may have a feedback rating of 925 (most of which seems to be for selling Nintendo games), but he's also got a fair smattering of neutral and negative feedbacks (2%). Here's one he picked up last month, for refusing to ship a Seiko Pogue 6139-6002 he'd sold:

September 25, 2018 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.