Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: PhotoBucket - The Final Meltdown ?

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I don't expect many of you still use PhotoBucket for remote image hosting - you'd be well advised not to. Unfortunately I do - I have what's left of a pre-paid subscription. Anyway, in case you hadn't noticed, it's been down now for over 24 hours. :mad:

Hence the reason that 'spaceball' placeholders are popping up all over the forum, where my (1000's of) photos used to be. I've just received an acknowlegement (of sorts) from their Tech Support, to the extremely strongly worded email I sent them this morning. It reads:

Hello, 

Thanks for emailing us. Unfortunately, we are currently experiencing some site issues. Our team is working hard to get the site back online as soon as possible. 

Please know that your images are safe during this time. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

They clearly haven't read my email, because I'd included other specific issues. I suspect this is just a standard reply to the hundreds of complaints they must deservedly be inundated with. Happy Holidays, PhotoBucket. :roll:

December 19, 2019 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

PhotoBucket has now been down for over 48 hours - totally unacceptable, in this day and age, for an alleged 'high tech' hosting company - and pretty pathetic even by Webs abysmal standards ! :roll:

According to their FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/photobucket/

Unfortunately, the site is still down due to a power outage.

Begs the question: have these people never heard of a UPS ?

We are working round the clock to resolve this issue.

Horse Shit !! This company, including Tech Support work Monday - Friday 9 to 5 !

The most common error currently returned is:

502 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.

If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

December 20, 2019 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Late yesterday afternoon, an evidently semi-literate member of the Photobucket team posted this (exactly as written - and since deleted) on their Facebook page:

Good news: We have founds the underlying issue that's causing some users problems. We are working to fix some hardware and should have at ETA soon.

It elicited some acerbic remarks. PhotoBucket seem to have been keeping a very close watch on it, because many of the justifably irate and sarcastic comments have conveniently been removed. If you want to get a truer picture of how badly they've pissed off their dwindling remaining loyal user base, this time, check out some of the comments left on neutral sites, like DownDetector. These are just a couple of samples I grabbed yesterday afternoon - scroll down for plenty more !

December 21, 2019 at 6:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

PhotoBucket haven't triumphantly (nor even sheepishly) claimed it's properly fixed yet, but apparently some members of their (only 11 man) team must have been burning the midnight oil.

Very early this morning, I checked the forum and noticed that the small 'spaceball' placeholders that had spread to every thread had been replaced by this larger one. Progess of sorts. :roll:

By 6:00am (UK time), the original images finally started showing up. I obviously haven't checked every thread to see what might still be missing, but the last few pages of the WRUW thread look encouraging.

Functionality appears to be gradually returning, along with the 1000's of missing photos, but it's painfully slow to use. I've managaged to upload a few images this morning. Even something like that placeholder, which only measures 200x150 pixels and 10kb took nearly 5 seconds to upload !

Lets's wait and see if it actually lasts through the weekend. :/

December 21, 2019 at 6:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I've just uploaded a couple of small eBay result screen grabs to my PhotoBucket and they actually uploaded quite quickly - without all the usual annoying pop-ups, that I've had to endure for the last couple of weeks.

I noticed a thin dark blue band at the base of the header bar, with text which reads:

We apologize for the recent service disruption that you have been experiencing these last few days. Click Here to Learn More.

They may still be hosting my images, but after this recent debacle (and all the other money-grabbing stunts they've pulled over the last 2½ years), quite frankly I don't trust these b*st*rds one inch. So if they think I'm going to click on a spurious link, they can go f*ck themselves. With a bit of luck, it might be a link to a resignation letter from their bullshit-spouting incompetent CEO Ted Leonard !

Photobucket CEO: Earning consumer Trust is about Communication

Video interview published on 10th December, 2019. What an ill-timed joke !!

December 21, 2019 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I've just checked PhotoBucket's Facebook page. There has been an update - with a link I can check without being signed into my account. It is a letter from their CEO Ted Leonard - unfortunately not his resignation, but an excuse ridden apology.

https://photobucket.com/notice/news/

December 21, 2019 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hard to believe, but according to disgruntled comments left on DownDetector.com and Photobucket's Facebook page (the last one only 3 minutes ago), there are stlll lots of users (mostly in the US) either whose photos haven't been restored, or they still can't log in ! :o I guess nobody is working to fix their issues over the weekend. Somebody is however monitoring their Facebook page. Selected caustic comments are still being mysteriously deleted. Yesterday evening someone posted the classic Photobucket meme.

I was surprised to see it was still there early this morning, but it's gone now. :(

December 22, 2019 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

7 days from the start of this debacle, some US Photobucket users (and I use that word advisedly) are still complaining that the site is down ! :o

It's Christmas Eve. I'd started to add an update to one of the 7A38-xxxx model specific threads. Tried to sign into PhotoBucket to upload the images for that post.

5 minutes later, it has still not accepted my login !! :mad:

Happy Holidays, PhotoBucket !!

December 24, 2019 at 11:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The PhotoBucket debacle / apparent meltdown continues ad nauseam. Although my tens of 1000's of PB hosted photos are still currently displayed on the forum, I'm not sure how much longer they will continue to be so. What little faith I had left, in what was once a basteon of online image hosting is rapidly turning to fear and loathing.

This morning, I am still unable to log in to Photobucket, to access my existing image libraries, let alone upload any new photos. It seems I am not alone. I checked their Facebook page this morning and saw another half-arsed excuse for an update had been added late last night. It reads:

Our systems are running through continuous verification processes as they come back online. Unfortunately, this is taking longer than we would like, but we want to confirm everything is cross checked, secure and verified. We do not have a firm completion date, but we are hoping this will be resolved soon. We will report back as progress continues. We apologize for the recent service disruption that you have been experiencing these last few days.

Note their continued use of the phrase 'last few days' - it's been almost a week ! :mad:

It has already attracted a few choice comments, some within the last hour or two:

December 25, 2019 at 2:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I have a pretty good idea what the true cause of this outage is. In the run-up to Christmas, I believe they attempted to enforce their latest (back-dated) money-grabbing price increase, by pressuring existing users with pre-paid subscriptions (like myself) to upgrade to their new tariffs. Indeed, a quick Google of PhotoBucket Terms of Service, brings this up as the first result, dated 16th December 2019:

https://photobucket.com/terms

Photobucket.com Terms of Use 

Last revised December 16, 2019

I'm not sure what changes they may have made (the last time I looked at their ToS, was back in September), but this is pretty obviously the relevant offending section:

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

· Visiting: There is no cost to visit the Site for the purpose of conducting image searches. You may also be able to share links to content uploaded by other Site Subscribers who have marked their Content as "public".

· Free Account: Each free account provides a limited amount of Content storage, which is based upon the lesser of a given amount of storage space, expressed in gigabytes, and total image count. For example, if the restriction is 2.5GB or 250 images, you will not be able to upload any additional images once one of these two thresholds is reached.
IF A FREE ACCOUNT SUBSCRIBER EXCEEDS THEIR ALLOTTED STORAGE WHICH IS DETERMINED BASED UPON THE LESSER OF A GIVEN AMOUNT OF STORAGE SPACE EXPRESSED IN GIGABYTES AND TOTAL IMAGE COUNT, THEY MAY: UPGRADE TO A PAID ACCOUNT BY SELECTING THE APPROPRIATE PAID ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION LEVEL, REDUCE THE NUMBER OF IMAGES IN THEIR LIBRARY TO GET BELOW THEIR ALLOTTED STORAGE OR CLOSE THEIR FREE ACCOUNT. ALTERNATIVELY, PHOTOBUCKET MAY TERMINATE THE SUBSCRIBER'S ACCOUNT AND PERMANENTLY DELETE THEIR CONTENT UPON THEIR REQUEST. NOTE THAT PURSUANT TO THE PHOTOBUCKET MEMBER BILL OF RIGHTS, WE WILL NOT DELETE YOUR IMAGES WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT, EVEN IF YOU EXCEED YOUR ALLOTTED STORAGE CAPACITY (EXCLUDES CONTENT WHICH WE DEEM TO BE IN VIOLATION OF THESE TERMS).
THE FREE ACCOUNT OFFERS LIMITED IMAGE HOSTING THAT CONTAINS A PHOTOBUCKET WATERMARK THAT REFLECTS THAT THE IMAGE IS HOSTED FOR FREE BY US. FREE HOSTING IS LIMITED TO 25MB PER ACCOUNT (NOT PER IMAGE) IN EACH ROLLING 30 DAY PERIOD. IN THE EVENT A FREE ACCOUNT EXCEEDS 25MB IN A ROLLING 30 DAY PERIOD, THE IMAGES SHALL ALL BE BLURRED AND WATERMARKED UNTIL THE EARLIER OF: (A) BANDWIDTH USAGE IN A ROLLING 30 DAY PERIOD DROPS BELOW 25MB, OR (B) YOU PURCHASE A DESIGNATED PAID PLAN (INTERMEDIATE OR EXPERT LEVEL PLANS) THAT OFFERS UNLIMITED HOSTING.

· Paid Account: Photobucket offers several paid options that give the Subscriber more storage, image hosting and other services. Please note that Paid Accounts are billed either monthly or annually at your option.

IF A PAID ACCOUNT EXCEEDS ITS ALLOTTED STORAGE CAPACITY WHICH IS DETERMINED BASED UPON THE LESSER OF A GIVEN AMOUNT OF STORAGE SPACE EXPRESSED IN GIGABYTES AND TOTAL IMAGE COUNT, THE SUBSCRIBER MAY: UPGRADE TO A HIGHER LEVEL PAID ACCOUNT BY SELECTING THE APPROPRIATE PAID ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION LEVEL, REDUCE THE NUMBER OF IMAGES IN THEIR ACCOUNT TO GET UNDER THEIR ALLOTTED STORAGE CAPACITY OR CLOSE THEIR CURRENT PAID ACCOUNT. ALTERNATIVELY, PHOTOBUCKET MAY TERMINATE THE SUBSCRIBER'S ACCOUNT AND PERMANENTLY DELETE THEIR CONTENT UPON THEIR REQUEST. NOTE THAT PURSUANT TO THE PHOTOBUCKET MEMBER BILL OF RIGHTS, WE WILL NOT DELETE YOUR IMAGES WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT, EVEN IF YOU EXCEED YOUR ALLOTTED STORAGE CAPACITY (EXCLUDES CONTENT WHICH WE DEEM TO BE IN VIOLATION OF THESE TERMS). 

THE INTERMEDIATE AND EXPERT LEVEL PLANS ARE THE ONLY PAID ACCOUNTS THAT OFFER UNLIMITED (SEE DEFINITION, BELOW) IMAGE HOSTING. THE BEGINNER PLAN OFFERS THE SAME HOSTING BENEFITS AS THE FREE ACCOUNT (SEE FREE ACCOUNT INFO ABOVE FOR DETAILS). NOTE: "UNLIMITED" DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT YOU CAN USE AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF BANDWIDTH PER DAY OR PER MONTH OR OTHER MEASURING PERIOD IN OUR DISCRETION. PHOTOBUCKET SHALL, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, DETERMINE EXCESSIVE BANDWIDTH USAGE AND SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO IMPOSE THROTTLING WHENEVER IT DEEMS IT APPROPRIATE TO DO SO.

· Additional Features of all Paid Accounts:

When you upgrade to any Paid Account, you will also receive:

o Premium Support. You have direct access to our tech support team. 

o No Ads. When you're logged into your Paid Account, you won't see any third party ads on the Site (note: (1) viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Paid Accounts, and (2) you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements).

· Modifying Your Paid Account: Photobucket has the right to change the Services and features of its Paid Plans at any time. If you are a Paid Account Subscriber, you can always upgrade to a higher-level Paid Account and will have the opportunity to downgrade your Account level at the beginning of the next monthly or annual period anniversary following any such modifications, depending upon whether you selected a monthly or annual payment option when you signed up for a Paid Account.

PhotoBucket appears to have changed it's Terms of Use (they've appropriately stopped calling it 'Terms of Service' - because they're clearly not providing one) three times this year !! However, despite their threats, some things don't change. Note the wording, specifically the sentence I've underlined in red, of this renewal notice email notification, that I received from PhotoBucket on 21st June 2019.

In the last week of September, I took this screen print showing that at the time I had only used 32% of my available capacity of 20GB (with then 31575 images stored):

Around the same time, I started seeing this annoying pop-up every time I logged in:

This year, Photobucket appear to have changed their parameters at least twice: from bandwidth used, percentage of allotted capacity used, to the number of images stored, as shown by billing table below. Obviously, according to that, I was already well over what they now deem to be the 'Intermediate' limit of 25,000 images. :roll:

Although (as far as I'm aware) no public announcement was made at the time, they also conveniently covertly implemented the above scale of charges, back-dated to supposedly being effective from 1st June 2019 !! Yet they took my payment, for the renewal of what evidently now no longer exists as a plan option on 25th June !! :o

Needless to say, in the light of PhotoBucket's recent downtime debacle (and since having followed the unfortunate fates of those who have fallen victim to their latest money-grabbing exercise scam, on their FaceBook page) I have studiously ignored their multiple invitations to upgrade. That was, apart from one occasion a few days ago, when I caved in, more out of curiosity than anything else, and hit the button on this Holiday Savings Discount offer:

Now, bearing in mind that I already theoretically have a paid annual subscription ....

It took me through to a similarly blurred payment page (which I didn't bother to take a screen print of). Guess what the amount payable shown was ? $0.00 !!! 

December 25, 2019 at 3:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As a temporary workaround solution, until Photobucket finally get their sh!t together (which I assume is now unlikely to happen before the New Year) today, I've started uploading my images to a temporary photo album on this website. I concede it was something I said I would never do (on the basis of not wanting to put all my eggs in one basket - Webs don't have a very good track record) - but needs must. :/

December 25, 2019 at 5:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It is now DAY 9 of the PhotoBucket outage debacle. FWIW - not a lot evidently :roll: further comments by disgruntled users (who have paid) have been added to their FaceBook page within the last 8 hours. I suspect many others have been deleted.

December 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Note the last comment - with the 'Fingers crossed' adder. In fact, late last night, by some fluke, I actually managed to get logged into my PhotoBucket account. God only knows how many times I'd previously verified my email address, in response to their literally dozens of annoying pop-ups over the past few weeks, but one of them appeared to have finally worked at last ! :) Well - let's just say .... after a fashion. Perhaps 'worked' isn't the correct word. :/

Note at that stage, I wasn't actually signed in as 'Seiko7A38', but I had clicked on a link in an email sent to the address associated with my PhotoBucket account. Once again, curiosity took the advantage over my better judgement and I clicked the offer button - and was taken to this billing screen:

Look what these incompetents were trying to bill me for - Intermediate level !!

Which of course, I'm not theoretically eligible for, because I already have something approaching 35,000 images in my PhotoBucket folders (versus 25,000 maximum allowed by their Intermediate plan) - so I would still then need to upgrade to their 'Expert' unlimited plan - as they've been telling me (below) for the last 3 months. :roll:

Needless to say, I passed. :roll: I then back arrowed and clicked on the LOGIN link shown top right on the previous screen and actually managed to get logged into my account. I took advantage and uploaded the dozen or so images that I'd temporarily hosted in this website's photo album yesterday; edited the links in the respective posts to suit and deleted the photos from the Webs gallery album.

It was late, I was tired and made a fatal mistake. I had a lot of tabs open in Chrome. I inadvertently closed the PhotoBucket tab. I haven't been able to get logged back in again since !! :mad: Hence the reason the images in this (and the subsequent) post are currently hosted on this website, rather than in my PhotoBucket. Again !

December 26, 2019 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You want a laugh ? Have a read of these couple of old emails sent me by their Marketing team, almost exactly a year ago - on Friday 21st December 2018:

I think it's safe to assume they won't be sending out anything similar in the forseeable future - that is presuming Blake and Scott still have their jobs !! :P

December 26, 2019 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

And so it goes on, with no sign of a permanent fix. :roll: Here's just a few more of the angry comments left on PhotoBucket's FaceBook page, within the last 8 hours by disgruntled users customers.

Meanwhile, I've guess I've been fortunate, in comparison to them, and have actually managed to successfully log in to my account a couple of times. But it's painfully slow to upload photos or even clicking to move between my albums at the moment. 

December 27, 2019 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Today is Wednesday 1st January, 2020 - almost two weeks since the start of the PhotoBucket downtime debacle. I've been monitoring their Facebook page fairly closely and the last official update was on 27th December, when they posted:

While we were busy working, we forgot to wish you a very Happy Hanukkah.

(Hanukkah was actually December 30th). Nothing since. :roll:

Not surprisingly, that throwaway sentence was immediately met with dozens of angry comments - many of which have subsequently conveniently been removed.

I even saw a couple of replies suggesting starting a class action law suit against PhotoBucket. Needless to say they were very promptly deleted !

Although FaceBook doesn't show any evidence of the deleted replies, if you check their Twitter feed, there are plenty of tweets that are now shown as 'unavailable':

Note the wording of the last comment above. 

The number of new complaints from disgruntled users, both on their FaceBook page and DownDetector.com, has gradually diminished over the last few days, but there are still evidently quite a few users who are unable to access their accounts.

I personally haven't seen any recurrence of the problems I experienced before Christmas and have reverted (for the time being, at least) to using PhotoBucket for image hosting. Indeed, something has 'improved'. I am no longer seeing any pop-up messages telling me that I need to upgrade to another payment plan - and my account is staying logged in. Before, especially during the last few weeks, every time I closed the Photobucket window (Chrome tab), I would have to re-log in again (even though my sign-in details were supposedly saved) and then have to face the barrage of pop-ups all over again.

Regardless of whether PhotoBucket may allegedly have suffered a power outage / hardware failure, the fact that I can now access my account, without seeing any of these aggressive pop-ups, makes me even more convinced that their outage was actually due to a series of failed attempts to implement and enforce a Paywall.

January 1, 2020 at 4:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

However, I am now faced with a quandry. 95% of the images on the forum, be they my own, legacy images posted by other forum members (now mostly blurred and watermarked) are hosted on PhotoBucket. How much longer can they survive as a company after this debacle ? If they do go under, taking those tens of thousands of photos with them, the majority of forum threads will be rendered useless. 

My subscription renewal (for another two years) for this website / forum is due on 11th January. I'm anxiously contemplating whether to renew it or not. :/ There are other factors to consider, but it will very much depend on the continued existence of PhotoBucket. I'm looking forward seeing to their next announcement, presumably within the next week, no later than Monday 6th January, by which date, assuming they still have a few employees left, will be back to work.

January 1, 2020 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Meanwhile, if you want another laugh at PhotoBucket's expense, try reading these two most recent articles from their Blog, now monopolized by their incompetent bullshit-spouting CEO Ted Leonard (comments are conveniently disabled):

It’s About Never Again Having to Ask, ‘Where Is That Photo?’

by Ted Leonard | Sep 27th, 2019

Probably should be re-titled: 'Where the f*ck have all my photos gone ??'

How We Lost — and Regained — Customer Trust

by Ted Leonard | Aug 28th, 2019

Probably should be re-titled: ' - and lost it again'. :roll: The final paragraph reads:

Earning your customers’ loyalty isn’t easy. It takes hard work and constant communication. And from the new headlines about data and privacy violations, it’s clear that the online industry still has a ways to go to earn people’s trust. But it’s not too late to fix things. Let’s do what’s right and make sure we’re putting our customers first.

January 1, 2020 at 6:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I've also been keeping an eye open for new blog articles about the PhotoBucket outage, from independant sources. Here's the first such article that I've spotted, which was posted late on New Years Eve:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2019/12/1577853798.html

Tue Dec 31 2019 23:43:18

eBay Sellers Among Those Hit by Photobucket Outage

By: Ina Steiner

eBay sellers were among those impacted by a Photobucket outage the week before Christmas, and 2 weeks later, users say they're still having problems and are no longer getting updates from the company about the issues. 

Photobucket initially blamed the problem on a total power outage that hit its primary data center on December 18th. "Due to the abrupt nature of the outage the equipment that runs the site shutdown unexpectedly. The immediate shutdown resulted in systematic issues when the power was restored. Unfortunately, due to this unexpected shutdown, we were also not able to rely on our backup data center resources." 

An EcommerceBytes reader said the image-hosting company is popular with eBay sellers. "Most users became aware of the outage during the important sales days before Christmas, when all Photobucket-hosted photos vanished from eBay listings, replaced by Photobucket's boilerplate "Sorry, this image isn't available" message." 

Customers are distraught, and - adding insult to injury - some users said Photobucket continues to charge their accounts for monthly recurring fees. 

Ironically, Photobucket CEO Ted Leonard discussed the importance of transparency and communication with customers in a post on FastCompany.com.

Photobucket published a notice about the outage on its website prior to Christmas at Photobucket.com/notice/news, but as of today, December 31, 2019, the message is no longer accessible. 

In it, the company explained, "We are in the process of migrating Photobucket to a more reliable environment. The environment will give us more stability and help us reduce these issues in the future. Once service is restored, our primary focus will be on moving your beloved images to this environment." 

According to its Twitter account, Photobucket had also experienced a brief outage in early December - though whether it is related to the latest problem isn't clear.

You can find tales of woe from Photobucket customers over the past 2 weeks on DownDetector as well as on its social media sites.

Let us know if you were impacted and if and when you recover your images.

January 2, 2020 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Looks like those money-grabbing b*st*rds at Photobucket are making another effort to enforce their wonky Paywall. This afternoon, while I was uploading a dozen eBay images (which frankly I couldn't have cared less about), two of them didn't take - giving me the slightly odd error message that I wasn't logged in. Oh really ? :/ How did I just manage to upload the other 10 then ? :roll: To be able to attempt to re-load them, I was then forced to re-login, to be faced with the usual threatening pop-up.

Needless to say, there's been no update on their FaceBook page, since the 27th December, where the angry comments from disgruntled excommunicated users continue to stack up, evidently faster than they can delete them.

So, if they think I'm going to pay them another penny, they can ....  right off.

Edit Update:

Their ears must have been burning. :lol: By an amazing coincidence, at exactly the same time as I entered this post (3:40pm GMT) another 'standard' email from the beleaguered Moss in PhotoBucket 'Support' (joke) arrived in my inbox:

It admits that they still have some users who are experiencing issues. However I don't think the standard excuse of clearing their browser cache is going to fix it for many of them. :roll:

January 2, 2020 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.