Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Sticky: The ONE and ONLY WRUW thread ....

Arpie

What happened here? There are no posts for many days! :/

Today was the first "official" day of the 7A38-701A on my wrist. I took a photo about this occasion.

Unfortunately the previous owner badly (over)polished the case and the bracelet. The chrono's hands are faded to yellow colour, but I still like it a lot. :)

September 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

What happened here? There are no posts for many days! :/

Well, Arpad, it might be that Simon and I are becoming a little fed up of being the only two who regulary contribute to this thread. :(

I thought that if maybe we stopped posting daily WRUW shots, a few other members might feel inclined to jump in for a change. :P 

Anyway, seeing as I've replied here's one from me.

Not a watch that I wear regularly, on a daily basis - it's a bit dressy for daytime wear, so I usually only wear it evenings or weekends.

But I got it out of one of my collection boxes, this morning to do a quick appraisal / comparison.

It's a franken I built over a year ago, from a 7A34-7019 sample case / bracelet, with the 609L dial from a 7A38-6109 sample case:

Reason for my renewed interest is that I just bought another 7A34-7019 sample case, with almost a full bracelet - on a whim. :roll:

It arrived yesterday, and is in slightly better condition than the previous one. So I may rebuild this into the new case and bracelet.

Or I may build another one; either the same, or with a different dial. Heck - I may yet even build it up into a working 7A34-7019 ! :lol:

September 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A Q&D 'off the cuff' shot of what I'm wearing to work this afternoon - one of my stainless 7A38-7280 everyday 'beaters':

September 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Sir Alan at August 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Nice Paul - I didn't realise this style came in stainless (I assumed it was titanium only).

That bezel will polish up nicely methinks :P

My newest incoming 7A38, which odd as it may appear, is actually meant to look like that. The stainless 7A38-7120 SAA091J ....

I have to admit that after attempting to remove the bezel in marginally better condition from my other parts beater and failing ....

rather than risk damaging this one's case, I decided to stick with the existing bezel and polish it in situ (before I replaced the crystal).

It came up quite well, but I couldn't buff out some of the deeper scratches. It doesn't look too bad depending on the angle:

September 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I've been wearing one of my 43mm Yema Spationaute III's most of this week, trying to break in a rather recalcitrant Fleurus shark strap. But as I've already posted plenty of photos of them - both in this thread, and in the non-Seiko 7Axx forum section, I wont bore you. :P You'll all be relieved to know that am still retaining more than a passing interest in the odd run-of-the-mill Seiko 7A38 ....

Especially if they're a bit different. ;)

Here's my newest incoming, which arrived yesterday. A 7A38-728A SAA128J - with the Roman dial without the gold sub-dial rings.

This is pretty much how it arrived. All I've done, so far, is to remove 2 bracelet adjustment links, and fitted a pair of new springbars:

It needs a bit of light re-brushing in a couple of places on the bracelet - and a new crystal - there are a couple very faint scratches, and a small chip or two near 5 o'clock. I'll post a few decent photos of it in the relevant thread, later, once I've got it properly sorted:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8099991-another-little-7a38-mystery-finally-solved-at-last-

September 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Today I've been wearing this:

can you guess what it is?

This should give the game away:

Yep - my newly acquired 7A28-6000 'Bishop'.

In great condition:

todays pictures don't really pickup the colours on the dial and the bezel.

but it does put my rather more worn version to shame:

More 'Aliens' to come ...............................

September 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Parting is such sweet sorrow (W. Shakespeare). One last Q&D wrist shot of my 7A38-6010, before packing it up for posting tomorrow. :(

September 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

The best way to avoid Monday is not to recognise that it's actually Monday. That's why the 7A28 is very helpful 'cause it's not having a day & date function. :D As usual it's raining, so I decided to wear my new "diver" 7A28-7040:

October 1, 2012 at 4:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I've been wearing one of my 43mm Yema Spationaute III's most of this week, trying to break in (this) recalcitrant Fleurus shark strap.

But as I've already posted plenty of photos of them - both in this thread, and in the non-Seiko 7Axx forum section, I wont bore you. 

Speaking of Monday Morning Blues ....

October 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

My first 7A: 7A28-7039. Purchased at another wellknown Seiko site. Then it had the wrong, Pepsi ''ornamental bezel" But I managed to find a NOS correct bezel. That was fitted for me by a good friend, together with a sapphire crystal. All in all not too bad I think.

October 2, 2012 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Here is number two of my collection. 7A38-7289. As far as I can see completely original. Belonged to a Spanish collector. It came in yesterday. Judging by the date and time displayed when I got it he hadn't worn it in a long time. You can see he wore it from time to time, there are small signs of wear but not much. The clasp of the bracelet is of the 5 hole type. The pushers click nicely and everything works as it should. A very elegant watch, I think!

October 3, 2012 at 6:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Today a 7A38-7000 that also came in yesterday. It took more than a month to arrive with "Priority" :/ mail from the USA. This is the second I own of this type. And this one is definitely not as nice as my first. The overall condition is not bad. But look at the crystal: it looks dirty on some pictures, and it is. But on the INSIDE! Looks like it was turned for some reason, but whitout cleaning it. It is also in need of some care. When I first started the chrono the 1/10 hand quivered a bit before starting to move and it not always jumps back to zero. Now the circus of finding someone who can fix it can start. Sometimes I hate it that I am such a technical klutz! :(

October 4, 2012 at 6:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

I changed to another recent  acquisition: 7A28-7100. The other one bothered me too much. This one is better. Everything is perfect except for the small hair on the dial (Sigh!) and the bracelet has been "polished" by someone with a powertool and the same technical skills as myself.

The tachymeter ring is almost perfect allthough it doesn't look so good in the picture for some reason.

We should all be more thankfull!

October 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

My newest incoming 7A38 - a 7A38-6060 SAA071J. Not perfect, by any means, but rather better than the previous example I'd bought:

October 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Now that I like :P

October 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Today 7A38-7080. Very decent condition.

October 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Seiko7A38 at October 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM

My newest incoming 7A38 - a 7A38-6060 SAA071J. Not perfect, by any means, but rather better than the previous example I'd bought:

I am real sorry I missed that one. :(

October 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yes, I consider myself very fortunate to have managed to grab that one up in time, before a certain 'flip-for-fast-profit' merchant did. :P Thanks to James for the 'heads up'.   It took me till gone 3:00am in the morning to conclude the deal. 

@ Harry - I presume your 7A38-7080 is the other 7A38 from 'London Boy's' Watchuseek advert ? ;)

.... but rather better than the previous example I'd bought.

My previous 7A38-6060 may be headed for the 'Trading Area' after the weekend. But first, I'm going to try a little Franken idea. 

October 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

You are right Paul, the 7A38-7080 also came from your & mine Best Friend Geoff. Like you it took me some time to conclude the deal but overhere we say ''all good things come slow".

October 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Today I am wearing one of my 7A28-7080's. I would like to know a little more about this particular model. On the internet I could not find much information. I think it was one of the more expensive models in the 7A28 line. At Seiko Netherlands I learned in 1984 the price was Hfl 1380, so, 626 euro. Maybe it was because titanium in those days was still a tough material to make a case from. 

October 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.