Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Sticky: The ONE and ONLY WRUW thread ....

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Well, if nobody else can be bothered to post wrist shots of their Seiko 7Axx's, you'll just have to put up with another of mine. :P

My newest incoming Yema Spationaute III 'Aragatz'. model # N80P76 - N.O.S. and on the original navy blue Yema shark strap. 

October 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Here it is, today's morning wrist shot: 7A38-7190. I like it a lot! :P

October 10, 2012 at 5:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Finally, I had enough time yesterday evening to finish my 7A38-7020. I replaced the crystal gasket, crystal, case back gasket, cleaned the bracelet and the case, clean the pushers, applied some Seiko silicone grease to pushers and case back gasket, put new pins....and here we are:

I couldn`t decide which picture would be better so I've attached both. :)

Just realised that there is some Rodico left on the bracelet's first link....ooppps, sorry  :P

October 11, 2012 at 5:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Today a 7A48-7000 that came in this morning. It has a flawless replacement crystal. (Should have a beveled edge?) The bracelet is non Seiko but I think of even better quality. What I did not know is that the ring around the crystal was cleaned of it's gold plating. :mad:

Well, at least it was done expertly, I am not much for bling anyway (He said with a brave face). And all functions work as they should which is more than I can say of three others that came in in the last few weeks.

October 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

How about a little bit of bling to brighten up a dull Autumn Saturday afternoon ? :P 

My newest incoming Yema N8, which arrived this morning - all the way from Singapore by registered mail in under a week. :)

It's probably one of the most exotic-looking non-Seiko 7A38's ever produced - clearly a rip-off of the Breguet Classique design ....

All very Louis Quinze, complete with fluted case sides; guilloché dial, blued pomme hands. Gentlemen - I give you the Yema N81W63:

This one isn't perfect, but it's a 100% better than the absolute beater example I picked up on LeBonCoin a couple of years ago. 

On first inspection, it thought it was completely original, including the Yema strap, but then I realized at some point it has been fitted with a very shallow domed replacement crystal (they're normally flat), which made it difficult to photograph - because of the reflections.

October 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Not exactly wearing my 'Sunday Best' this afternoon. This is another of my 38mm 'reduced' Yema Spationaute III's, model # N80A696.

This has the more commonly seen black-painted main handset. My other, previously posted on page 8 has gold-plated main hands.

This one's not in the best of condition. It came with a b*ggered screw-down crown, which I replaced, but has a badly scratched crystal.

Presently, it's on a Morellato 20mm black shark strap; once I've sorted it properly, I'll fit the nicer Fleurus strap I've ear-marked for it.

October 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

My recently acquired 7A38-6010. 

October 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Looks familiar, Harry. ;)

October 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arpie

Today I'm wearing my absolutely hotch-potch beater 7A38-7270.

I've put it on a NATO strap because I know Paul will like it a lot :D:D

Dial batons and hands are re-lumed....unfortunately by some kind of moron. :/

October 16, 2012 at 3:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Today one of my favourites: 7A38-7010. I like it so much I almost never wear it, too afraid something might happen to it. So, I need at least three more (for spares).

October 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

I feel myself drifting slowly into the world of "Bling".... Perhaps this one started it: 7A38-702A. This was the first 7A I got. It is by far not as nice as yours Paul but it was a start and I like it anyway.

(Edit: I see I forgot to change the date at the beginning of October. But, honestly, this is what I am wearing today!!)

October 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Usual crappy picture but here it is: My (first?) 7T59. Just arrived from England. You can see it is worn every day for a long time. Lot's of hairline scratches on the bezel but nothing serious. One of the not removable links on the 12 o'clock side has lost almost all it's gold plating but all in all the bracelet looks pretty decent. I am amazed that the removable links have cheap, and, in this case, tired looking split pins. I think I will buy new ones. It also needs a new crystal. Perhaps most importantly: all functions work as they should. Nice feature is the demonstration mode. Pull crown to first position, push the pusher at 8 o'clock for two seconds and everything starts running. A great sight! In reality it is a far more impressive watch than I had imagined. Yes, it can stay!

October 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Today I've been wearing my 7A28-7009 'Alien'

I needed to source a couple of extra links, and I'm working on sourcing some new pushers as both are cracked. If I can't find originals, then I've got some Delrin rod and know someone with a milling machine.

I'm keeping my eye out for the silver version 7A28-7000 but I'm not in a rush. ;)

October 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

Today its a first full outing for my 7T27-7A20

my first Nato strap :/

This comes with fixed lug bars

I guess this was to reduce the potential for spring bar failure and dropped / lost watch. 

October 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I don't normally do requests, as such, but the next two wrist shots are especially for Harry. ;)

If nothing else to make him feel a little LOT better about his 7A38-702A. From Harry's post above:

This was the first 7A I got. It is by far not as nice as yours Paul but it was a start and i like it anyway.

I've bought a good few two-tone 7A38-702x's in my time, including a couple that were in FAR worse condition - to break up for parts.

We've all been there; done that, as novice 7Axx buyers - rushed in and bought the first one we saw, only to regret when much nicer examples come along - which according to 'Sods Law' they are virtually guaranteed to do - usually sooner rather than later, too. :roll:

This was the first two-tone 7A38-702x (of any kind) that I bought on eBay in March 2009 - the infamous SpeedTimerKollektion franken:

At the time I bought it, I was really chuffed, thinking I'd found myself a rare variant. Like a dork, I even posted to that effect on RLT.  It wasn't until some time later, that I realized it was a complete and utter franken, of the worst kind - a Filipino-botched Franken ! It was, undoubtedly, my self-guilt at the foolish act of buying this watch, which started me off on my Franken-bashing crusade. 

The thing had major issues from Day #1, and took me several months to finally get it 'sorted' - or at least sorted to my own satisfaction. I've since built a proper version of this 7A38-702x franken, which I'm quite pleased with. There's a photo of it somewhere in this thread. I did actually think about selling off the 'SpeedTimerKollektion' 7A38 franken last year, and wrote a spoof FS advert on the RLT forum: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68886 .... but like the true hoarder I am, I've still got the damned thing ! 

October 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Just to confirm my qualifications as a compulsive hoarder, apart from the two-tone gold-dialed 7A38-702A which Harry referred to ....

I've also got 2 virtually identical appearing US market versions of effectively exactly the same watch - the 7A38-702H:roll:

One of them is in equally nice lightly used original condition as my 7A38-702A, with absolutely minimal plating wear ....

That one came from eBay in the States. Then there's this one, I'd bought first (back in April 2009) from SCWF member Thian Wong:

Not quite so pristine, eh ? In hindsight, I'd probably been bamboozled by a few of Thian's fancy 'montage' style photos of it he posted:

Why have I still kept it, when I have two cosmetically better examples in my collection ? God only knows. :roll:

It certainly isn't because I ever wear it. When I took it out of my collection box to take that photo, the day / date was showing SUN 14.

So that would indicate I hadn't worn it (or even taken it out of the box) for a year. Interestingly, the time was only 4 seconds out !! :o

Maybe it's nostalgia. Whatever. It's a well-travelled example for sure. Think about this:

Made in Japan in 1984. Shipped presumably to a Seiko US West Coast distributor. Ended up with Dan Braun in Oregon.

Dan sold it to Thian, who lives in Osaka, Japan. Thian sold it to me in England. Maybe I finally ought to consider selling it on. 

But it would have to be to someone who lived at least 5000 miles away ! :lol:

October 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

"..at least 5000 miles away" : That leaves me out I guess! I like that model, the bracelet has a 'beefy' feeling I like a lot. Just a bit blingy but nothing to be ashamed about. And I do like that Franken as well. Thanks for the pictures Paul! 

October 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

This morning the postman came with a "gift" from the USA,  a Yema. A watch that enjoys a certain popularity on this forum. And I must say: now that I see it in person and have it on my wrist, it is a beauty. Allthough members here have amazing photographical skills their pictures don't do it justice. The colours of the dial and bezel are much more subdued than you would think judging by pictures. I like that. The leather strap is of good quality. Comfortable and supple. A very nice watch!

I am sorry that it is not completely perfect. Near ten o' clock is a small but very visible scratch. And it looks like the crystal is dirty on the inside. When you look at it sideways it looks like it's fogged up. Maybe it's anti glare. If it is, it was done very clumsily.

October 27, 2012 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Harry, I'm glad to hear your gift arrived safely, and that the Dutch Ministry of the Exchequer didn't intervene. ;)

It seems that our American benefactor may have made a slight slip-up in his distribution of these bounteous gifts.

The Spationaute III you've just received probably should have been shipped to Dominique M. in France instead of you. 

He'd ordered his well before yours, but somehow the deliveries crossed up. Not to worry, we'll get it sorted sooner rather than later.

About that fogging on the inside of the crystal - that's exactly what it is - not any kind of intentional anti-reflective coating, though I'm not entirely sure what caused it. Mine, on the alternative shark strap (photo at the top of the page) was just as bad when it arrived.

You need to remove the dial / movement and the plastic Tachymetre spacer ring, and clean it thoroughly. I use Windolene myself. :D

Once you've cleaned the crystal, by removing the 'faux anti-reflective coating', you'll find how difficult it really is to photograph these lovely watches. The slightly domed crystal is an absolute swine for giving off reflections in anything but the perfect lighting conditions.

Practice makes perfect. 

October 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

blackcab

Well since recent arrivals from the US have been mentioned it would be rude not to..........

and one more...

not my best photos but I'm working on it :)

Many thanks to Paul for arranging this arrival. The Spationaute 3 has always been one of my favorite 7A38 variants and this one will be getting lots of wrist time for sure.

October 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.