Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Sticky: The ONE and ONLY WRUW thread ....

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Do you ever get the feeling that you're fighting a losing battle ? :/

This afternoon I got out one of my collection boxes, which contains the bulk of my 7A38-706x's and 7A38-724/5/6x's, to check on something. It holds 36 watches. 10 - Yes TEN of them had either completely stopped or were doing the 2-second two-step ! :mad: So guess what I'll be doing the rest of this afternoon. :roll: This is the first one I've just replaced the battery in. My almost mint 7A38-706A SAA017J. I'd forgotten how nice that very dark blue dial looked.

August 30, 2018 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's Fake Ferrari Formula Franken Friday ! :D

This is another one from the same collection box, which hadn't seen the light of day in years - and needed a replacement battery. It's based on a 7A38-7060 watch case, fitted with a NOS 7A28-7020 bezel.

August 31, 2018 at 5:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

One very bright, and Gold, Seiko 7A38-7060. Paul thinks I need more Bling, you know with me living in Las Vegas and all. 8) :lol: 

So I snagged this off eBay. It looked OK in the pictures until I turned it on its side...

and here is what was on the other side…

It looks like someone took a blowtorch to the case. The gold plating is burned away and the stainless steel is discolored underneath. :(

No worries though since I don’t see it, as I wear my watch on the left wrist. Kind of like that dent on the passenger side of the car…I don’t see because I get in the driver’s side…LOL! :lol:

--

Paul in Vegas.  8)

September 2, 2018 at 1:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's a quick and dirty, more or less as received shot of my newest arrival - the ex-eBay $20 Kamatz 518000 Oscar Bravo. All I've done is fitted a new battery and it ran, straight away. :) Athough the seller's photos showed it as a 'head only', it arrived fitted with a grubby khaki NATO, which from the matching rust stains and sweat marks, had evidently been fitted with for a good while. It's soon headed for the rubbish bin, where it belongs.

As it stands, it needs a little cosmetic work and TLC. There's some black and red paint missing from the bezel markings, though nothing that will be too difficult to touch in. The minute hand has lost most of its lume. The hand is actually pointing to the errant flake, which is lodged above the inner logarithmic scale, between 7.5 and 8.5. There won't be an 'after' shot of the watch in its current form. For one thing, I already have an almost mint 518000 Oscar Bravo with this 'reverse panda' dial (see previous page). For a long time, I've hankered after a 518000 with a 'Panda' dial, so as I hinted in the Yema N7's and N8's spotted thread a couple of days ago, there'll be some swapping going on presently.

September 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A rare 708L dialed Italian market variant of the gold-tone 7A38-706B, fitted with a non-original PRYNGEPS (Italian) leather strap.

September 4, 2018 at 9:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

My almost mint, Italian market gold-tone 7A38-706A with the rather ugly 727O Arabic number dial. Rare or not, it's definitely an acquired taste. :/

September 7, 2018 at 9:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yema Spationaute III - not one of my favourite examples, with it's slightly yellowed aged lume. But they all deserve an outing - at least every Saturday. This one's fitted with a navy ZRC 'double jonc' Veau Nautic strap.

September 8, 2018 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

First time on the wrist for my recently acquired 7A38-728C SAA138J UEFA Euro 88 'Limited Edition', which arrived from Germany mid-week. This is still very much 'as received' condition, save for just removing an adjustment link from the full length bracelet, to get a better fit on my wrist. I'll write in some more detail about it, here in the recently re-named model specific thread presently.

September 15, 2018 at 6:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

I forgot to post this 7A38-7060 two weeks ago. This one came along thanks to a heads up from Paul. It was relisted because of a broken stem and crown. ‘Buy it now…free shipping’…!  :)

When I received the watch, I replaced the stem and crown in all of five minutes and Bingo! This watch is absolutely perfect. Not a scratch anywhere to be found. The bracelet is still tight and I mean brand new tight. Unfortunately it is now a watch I’m afraid to wear. :/ it sure will look good in the watch box though.

Oh, and the quality control sticker is still on the case back in pristine condition.

I know Don likes stickers… :P

--

Paul in Vegas.  8)

September 17, 2018 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

I agree, unworn, in the box!  Nice find you guys :D    

September 18, 2018 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Wearing a 'beater' 7A38-7029 SAA013J today (and most of this week so far). This is one I bought a few years back and started refurbishing, but never quite finished - and I'd almost forgotten I had it. :roll:

Going by the prices some eBay sellers are asking (and sometimes getting) for stainless 7A38-7020 / -7029's lately, although a bit 'rough around the edges', I reckon this one's got to be worth at least $400. 

September 19, 2018 at 9:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's Franken Friday !

Some of you probably guessed this was coming, from recent posts in this thread. Yes, I brazenly plagiarized someone else's idea, which I'd seen and documented on page 3 of the Heads Up on another Franken thread, at the end of March 2014*. But I did say I thought it was an attractive looking watch at the time. :P

May I present my newest creation - The Double Roman 7A38 / 7A48.

*Paul (PHK) in Vegas will remember the original Franken - if no-one else does. ;)

September 21, 2018 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's Franken Friday - Part 2 ! 

I just went to put the latest 7A48 / 7A38 creation away in my collection box, and noticed this 7A38 Franken, which I built a few years ago, was doing the dreaded 'two-second two-step' (low battery warning indicator). So I fitted a new one. Seeing I'd got it out of the box, thought I'd wear it for the rest of the afternoon. :)

This one's basically the other half of the equation - a two-tone 7A38-7289 Sample case (which would have originally used the 724O white Roman numeral dial), fitted with the 718L dial / movement from a gold-tone 7A38-7260. Different hands, too, if I remember correctly. :/

September 21, 2018 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

donwatch

Where is the moon?  :/  I was going to keep this private BUT it is Franken Friday - last day of summer.  :P        

September 21, 2018 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.