Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Please introduce yourselves - by replying

palmfish

Hello group, I'm Brian from Seattle, WA. I am the original owner of two 7a38 watches. I didn't know what they were until yesterday (thanks to this forum).

A few months ago I met someone (he noticed my watch and struck up a conversation) who told me about an eBay seller from the Phillipines who completely refinishes vintage Seiko dive watches and I thought one would make a terrific birthday present for my son. When the watch arrived I was surprised by the quality and beauty and it got me thinking about my old Seiko chronographs that I haven't worn in years (my daily watch is an Omega Seamaster).

My first 7a38 is an all black watch that I bought in 1987 (as seen in my profile picture). My other 7a38 is a white face stainless watch that I never really wore because it seemed too dressy to me.

I asked the technician who services my Omega if my black beauty could be restored but he told me that parts were no longer available for it. I suppose I am on the fence about restoring it vs. leaving the "patina" as is. Every scratch and scrape has a story behind it!

I have been admring all the pictures members have posted here and am pleased to know that these watches have such a devout following. I know I love mine!

A few quick pictures...

<

February 19, 2016 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Brian and thanks for taking the trouble to post an introduction. You've got email. ;)

February 20, 2016 at 4:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NeoMonster

Hey there, my name is Benni and i just found this wonderful site while browsing 7A pictures on the web. My first watch was a flic flac when i was a kid followed by a casio baby-g which i got from my dad for birthday. I wasnt wearing watches until i started studying when i got a casio calc.watch as a gimmic which i to my suprise enjoyed alot. Then came my first mechanical a Seiko 5 Neomonster. Thats ehere the madness began ;). And then the 7As came into my life. Just got a cheap 7A38 of the bay and have it restored... a 7A48 followed and now im wating on a 7A28 and a Citizen Cal. 5200. There are still a couple more 7As I have an eye on. ;)

http://uhrforum.de/attachments/1341134d1458203263-der-seiko-fotothread-2015-07-20-09.04.29.jpg So thanks for having me.

March 18, 2016 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NeoMonster

Alright second try on the picture ;)

March 18, 2016 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

samulis

Hello all.

I am Samuli from Helsinki, Finland. As a mid seventies kid I have love for all thing's from eighties and in watches I have fell in love with Seiko's way of doing things. I study in Watchmaking school of Finland on second grade of micromechanics and that's where I got bitten by watch bug. First love was 6139-7100 Darth Vader in black, sought after it almost a year until found out that school mate has project one that I now own. It is on queue waiting for third year to have skill's to be service'd (with 40's Mido and 30's IWC cal.87).
School mate had found 7A28-7120 RAF from Norway and  before seeing it I did not know such things even existed. It opened my eyes and all of suddently I learned to respect the quartz. It took good 3-4 months to fell in love with it, it creep'd slowly and when I started to search about it I found this forum. This made me wonder that if 7A28 RAF is "the" watch, then why there is whole forum for 7A38. Well did small research and love of 7A28 turned on 7A38.

So here I am, hunting a good watch that I could use, instead of adding one more watch to wait list.

Cheers

Samuli

March 21, 2016 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NeilF183

Hello Everyone

I'm Neil from the UK and have recently started off on my watch collecting journey. I currently don't own a 7a38 or 7a28 but am trying to hunt a nice example down from March 83. I'm on another watch forum and discovered this one browsing on there. I also unsuccessfully tried to convince a member there to sell me a 7a28-702a but he couldn’t let it go.

Thanks Neil

March 23, 2016 at 11:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hello Neil. 

If you're looking for a birth month / year watch (as I suspect you might be), you'll need to restrict your search to 7A28's.

The first 7A38's weren't manufactured until August 1983 (they have 38xxxx case-back serial numbers). See this thread.

March 24, 2016 at 3:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NeilF183

Seiko7A38 at March 24, 2016 at 3:16 AM

Hello Neil. 

If you're looking for a birth month / year watch (as I suspect you might be), you'll need to restrict your search to 7A28's.

The first 7A38's weren't manufactured until August 1983 (they have 38xxxx case-back serial numbers). See this thread.

Thanks Paul

I plan on reading up on here over the weekend for research. That was my plan but I'm not sure what model to look at, if I find a 7A38 I like I think I'd be satisfied with year rather than month and year.

Neil.

March 24, 2016 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vagelis?

Hello everyone!

I am Vagelis from Greece and the last year I have a crash with 7a's. I enjoy watching them, gathering info and if I find one in decent condition, buy it. I currently own a 7a28- 7089.

May 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

antitraffic

Hi,

I'm Neil from Boston. Kind of new to watches, but was immediately drawn to Seikos and the 7Axx line in particular. Recently picked up a 7A38 and either got a great deal or something else, but more about that in another post. Regardless of what I've got, happy to find a community of like-minded individuals. 

Cheers,

Neil

May 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hi_bri

Hi,

Yet another Brian from Seattle.

Just starting on the journey to collect a few 7a28 and 7a38 watches.

I recently got a Seiko-Credor-Phoenix-Chronograph-Watch-6S78-0A30 and very impressed so doing a bit of research and decide to venture into the historical quartz Seiko chronographs as well.

Will be getting a shipment from Jauce as the first step of this journey :)

-Brian

May 23, 2016 at 1:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kim Boege

Hi all.

I am very new in this forum, and just wanted to say hi :-)

I am not a collector of Seiko, but my interest in the watch has had quite a history.

My stepfather owned a watch in the late 80´s which I spend much time admiring.

He was a sailor and sadly died during one of his trips, and I enherited his watch - and wore it everyday, even though it looked completely stupid on the arm of a 8 year old :-D

The watch disappeared one day, and I was never able to find it or find out what actually happened to it - spend ages looking for it.

Since I was just a small boy I never took notice of the model of the watch, besides that it was a Seiko and that I had a very clear memory of what it looked like.

Times passed and I am now a grown man, but the watch kept reappearing in my thoughts from time to time - until I decided to find out the model.

So I looked through Seikos program since the dawn of times - the picture of the 7A38-7070 Sports 100 hit me like an electric shock :-)

So here I am, getting a feel of this forum and will eventually search for a purchase.

Kind regards.

Kim :-)

May 24, 2016 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Volumetrik

Hi, 

I started getting into watches seriously last year when I got a SKX173 and fell in love with vintage seikos.

By far my favorite ones are the 7a38's and I am currently trying to get hold of one.

Cheers

--

Maxime

June 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bohammer71

Greetings All,

New to the forum...am a member of SCWF and Wrist Sushi (bohammer71) and looking to learn more about the 7ax8 chronos. Recenlty sold off most of my vintage Seiko collection but always have an eye out (don't we all)

Don't have much to contribute by way of knowledge or perspective with these models but always willing to learn. Look forward to lurking and contributing when I have something to say.

Have a great week!

Bob

June 14, 2016 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hi_bri

hi_bri at May 23, 2016 at 1:30 AM

Hi,

Yet another Brian from Seattle.

Just starting on the journey to collect a few 7a28 and 7a38 watches.

I recently got a Seiko-Credor-Phoenix-Chronograph-Watch-6S78-0A30 and very impressed so doing a bit of research and decide to venture into the historical quartz Seiko chronographs as well.

Will be getting a shipment from Jauce as the first step of this journey :)

-Brian

OK, so I'm finally a 7A38 owner as my first chronograph arrived, the 7a38-6090.

Had to get the movement service as the chronograph seconds would only vibrate but  my local watchmaker just need to loosen up the hardened grease.  All functions are now working:

--

-Brian

June 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sprocket87

Hey all, Jesse from Dayton, OH, USA here. I'm not a 7A38 owner (yet!), just dipping my toes in the water. I've been wearing my trusty Seiko Atlas/Landshark SKZ211 for a long time now, and as much as I love it I'm smitten with the 7A28/38 styles. Just gotta save some pennies and wait for the right one... 

July 26, 2016 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

g.creed

Hello everyone. My name is Renaud, I am in Paris and I wanted to say how much I like this forum. I arrived in the 7A28/38 range a little by mistake and have enjoyed reading you. The quality of all your pictures is impressive. I had developed a recent interest in Seiko but mostly automatic. A mistake now corrected. I started interested only in the 7A28/38 but thanks to this forum, I find myself more and more attracted to the 7T series. And I think it is in this section that I will try my first post. Again, thank you very much.

August 15, 2016 at 8:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kgambrell

Thought I should say thank you for my membership.

I have had Seiko chronographs for years. Lost two of them to a jeweler that went bust, and gave one to my stepson.

I have a pilot chronograph at the moment but would like to add another to the top drawer as funds allow.

Thank you.

Kevin

--

Kevin Gambrell

September 13, 2016 at 3:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nigel Kibble

I am the proud owner of a Seiko 7A38-7020 1983 all original from EBay for £63.

My son helped fix the strap and we have reset the chronograph to 0.

It's a great addition to my humble collection. I've ordered a new battery because I'm not sure when it was last changed.

I hope you enjoy the pictures in the link: https://goo.gl/photos/H9584xrZRDNKEWoP7

September 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Fixed your photo link for you, Nigel - and corrected the date of manufacture in your post; it's actually October 1983. ;)

PS - that bracelet first joining link looked an easy fix. I was almost tempted myself, but decided to leave it for someone else. :P

September 13, 2016 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.