Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Please introduce yourselves - by replying

Seikotik

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but a regular on a couple other forums.  Paul was kind enough to get a hold of me and bring me over here.  I'm extremely new at this and pretty much don't know what I'm doing.  So I'm just buying and tinkering and in about the span of less than half a year, I've somehow ended up with eight or so 7Axx variants.

I'm definitely leaning now towards the 7A48s.  But quite coincidentally, I purchased a 7A38-7270 in decent condition that finally arrived from Thailand today.  Seems okay thus far.

I'm hoping that I'll start learning some basics ... battery changes, etc. and eventually start lifting hands and swapping cases and movements.  By the way, my name is Meng and I'm from Los Angeles and live the land of fruits, nuts and flakes.

I started my watch collecting addiction with a Seiko Orange Monster. My first collection was to get a spectrum of Orange 200M Seiko divers.  I still have those and will be liquidating them soon so I can support my 7Axx habit.

March 7, 2012 at 3:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard, Meng. 

I think it's lucky for both of us, that I found you on WUS yesterday, because I don't go on there very often. 

But I think you know I would have tracked you down eventually - I'd been on your trail (following your bidding on eBay) for a few weeks. 

Now, please go and check the forum rules regarding the use prohibition of the 'OM' words.     

March 7, 2012 at 4:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

V10K

Hi all - I'm yet another Paul and I'm here courtesy of Sir (or is it Lord now?) Paul.  I am greatly indebted to Paul for rescuing me at the death from the clutches of Time Classics when I didn't know any better - and I've still got a lot to learn :)

I've been into Seikos since my first one in 1978 - a digital alarm that cost me £85 (sadly I still remember being unable to afford the gold alarm chrono I really wanted, at £165!) I then bought a couple more digitals, all of which are now with the great watchmaker in the sky.

I bought my first 7A38 - a 7A38-704A in the mid-late 80's and then was pulled like a magnet to the BLOOD RED 1/100 second feature of the silver/black 1/100 second chrono 7T59, which I bought in 1991 and, like the 7A38-704A, is still going strong.

My love of watches since then has broadened considerably - my true passion is Sinns, but as Chris has so rightly pointed out, it is a VERY expensive game! I eventually obtained all the Sinns I wanted and have now returned, via a nice collection of Rados (hence my name V10k) and Casio WaveCeptors, to my first love - Seiko!

As has been said, the design of the 7A28 and 7A38 is second to none and it is no coincidence that I progressed from Seiko to Sinn.

Anyway, I'm also a big 70's music fan and a PC addict - and a runner, when I eventually get my fitness back!

Best regards

Paul

March 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hi all - I'm yet another Paul and I'm here courtesy of Sir (or is it Lord now?) Paul ....

.... the design of the 7A28 and 7A38 is second to none and it is no coincidence that I progressed from Seiko to Sinn.

I think the word you're actually looking for is transgressed  Paul. :lol: Repent ye Sinners  Come to the Lord. 

March 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

V10K

:lol: Bless me Lord for I have truly Sinned

March 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wazza

Hi folks! My name is Warren and I am a member on TZ-UK too. My first ever 'decent' watch was a 7A38-7190 which I purchased brand new in 1987. My father wore it for several years after me and the bracelet was broken 25 years ago when I went over the handle bars of my mountain bike. Anyway, I have just rediscovered my old watch and am looking to restore her to rude health. Although, I think that joining here could well be the start of a a very slippery slope!

March 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

americankiwi

Hi Everyone!...my name is John...im an original owner of a 7A38-701B...i have always loved  this Cal of Seiko watch...now have a couple more to start my collection...

Paul has known me a little while from another watch site....while i was working on my 701B...he was a great help to me!!

Paul...good luck with this website-forums!!

Take care everyone...John

May 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ticking1

Hello one and all,

Mike here.  My 7A fever has almost burned out but still have a few Seikos in my collection.  I still love the fact that I set my 7A when the clocks go forwards/back and just leave it until the next time!  Best wishes to Paul with his site and addiction!  Keep ticking.  (with or without tocks!)

Mike

June 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks for taking the trouble to register, Mike. Having watched your struggle this afternoon, I realize it isn't as easy as it should be. :roll:

June 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nova

Hello,

I'm Andre from Germany and a SEIKO Fan.

First I had collected some divers and said " NO Chrono and NO Quarz " but now...

my collection get bigger with same nice Quarz Chronos.

June 13, 2012 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Scottswatches

I am Scott from England, and I am a watch addict.

This might annoy some (Paul!), but most of my collection doesn't require batteries.  I generally prefer manual wind watches, and i enjoy the interaction of winding them in the morning to make them breath.  However, I brought a 7A38 at a car boot sale for £10 and really liked it.  Paul helped me when i wanted to clean up the insides (water ingress, rusty pushers) and i lost some important parts and sold it for a tidy profit not working!

Recently though I bought my second 7A38, and now that has been joined by a 7T59.  I also have older Seikos, but i'll save them for another forum

--

If it ticks, buy it

July 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Chua

Hi my name is John and I'm from the Philippines. I have been facinated by these 7AXX models for a while and been waiting a chance to snag one locally until yesterday. Not quite the 7a28 i wanted but i think it's quite unique and deserves to be taken care of ;)

Thanks for looking and hope to learn a lot about these awesome Seikos ;)

John

August 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

John.

I fixed your photos for you. ;) Linking images on this forum is slightly different. You need to read this:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7208345-how-to-upload-a-photo-to-this-forum-

Stick around and I'm sure you'll learn a thing or two. 8)

August 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Chua

Ok that's why it was acting weird. I edited like three times! Hahaha

Sorry about that :)

August 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yes, I think I was editing your post at the same time you were also trying to fix it, because the [img][/img] brackets disappeared. :lol:

Not a problem - and welcome aboard (again - I'd already written on your profile). :P

August 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CA

Hi

My name and Claus and I live in England although originally from Denmark. I really like classic Seiko chronographs. I also own a Seiko 6139 Automatic, but that has sadly givien up the ghost . I had been looking for a white 7A38 for ages and one finally turned up last month. The pictures were a bit blurred, but I decided to risk it. The watch is in good shape although the dial has some yellow marks caused by battery leakage or maybe water. It's especially visible as there is a gap between the dial and the inner bezel. I understand that this is a design fault... May try to fix it or live with it...

September 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Hello, I am Harry and I am a Seikoholic. It's only recent that I am interested in 7A38's (Well, in fact, to make things worse 7A28's as well). It started when I was visiting a fellow Seiko enthusiastic this summer, known in some circles as Robbie409.

On his workbench was this nice little watch with a pepsi ''bezel". He told me it was from a neighbour and it needed a new battery. It turned out to be 7A28-703A.

I was smitten immediately. Why? I don't really know. I allways was into diver's watches, big automatics. Maybe it's the styling. I saw this 7A28 and I had to think of the Audi Quattro my father had in the early eighties. Later I understood when I saw this Seiko advertisment with the 7A28 watch ánd the Quattro! Same edgy eighties lines.Back home I started researching and that is how I found this site. I am an admirer of watches, I wear them but I am not a technical guy like most of you. Also, unlike most of you I am not a great photographer.

Still, If you're o.k. with it I will show you piece by piece what I have hoarded so far in the continuous WRUW thread.

At this moment I am still waiting for some purchases to come in (Nine to be honest, excluding the Pulsar RAF watch,

civilian version that will not be shown here).

October 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Welcome aboard (officially) at last, Harry !! ;)

At this moment I am still waiting for some purchases to come in (Nine to be honest ....

Holy **** Harry !! Have I missed a few that you've won on eBay ?? :o

October 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitemonster

Thank you for the welcome Paul! Yes nine! I shouldn't have told. I am not sure whether I should be ashamed or proud of it.

Last purchase is a 7A48-7000 last night from Ebay. I hope I don't like it too much, because then I really will be in trouble....

(And good to find out that you don't see everything :lol: )

October 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PHK

Greetings to all. Another Paul here. This one's from Las Vegas. Yesterday I finally won a 7a38!! Albeit the rather common -7069. Seems in good nick (as you guys would say) we will see this upon arrival this week.  Now,...can I join the club? My collection includes three 7a28's. A -7029, a -702A DEFECKT(still can't find that model listed anywhere!!!) and cover your eyes, A Seiko 7A28-7120 RAF GEN 1 Military Issue pilot, navigator,ground crew Watch. Along with the second generation RAF Seiko 7T27-7A20. And a host of other Seikos 7T32's,7T62's. So can I stay? Paul in Las Vegas.

October 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.