Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Post your comments on the site here ....

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Having it just on the header wouldn't cause major problems, but if you'll allow users to insert in their signatures the applets in the future, do consider a little bit of "limitations", as per the number of applets and size.

You obviously haven't fully read and absorbed the forum's few basic rules, George. 

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7160108-not-so-much-rules-as-guidelines-

Particularly regarding signatures. ;) 

April 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

Well actually I did. I meant for the future version/s ;)

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

April 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Oh really ? :/

It's also very annoying to keep seeing it pop (by default) every time I post.

That's why I'm unchecking the 'Include my signature' box 99% of the time.

If you're going to have a signature, please keep it short (maybe to one line),

and please change the font to something different from the default Arial.

April 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

GeorgeClarkson at April 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

No problem, Paul. Actually I've seen the watch applet in quite a number of forums, even in users signatures. It is a great applet, I like it a lot, but you have be careful since it can slow down the initial rendering of the browser, that is, when the visitor of the website visits the website for the first time since the last session. Having it just on the header wouldn't cause major problems, but if you'll allow users to insert in their signatures the applets in the future, do consider a little bit of "limitations", as per the number of applets and size.

Bet you haven't seen one quite like this, though George. :P

Fresh in from my friendly local programmer - a chap at work. 8)

This is just a full-sized screen print. The image still needs sharpening and reducing to fit the Webs 'Air' header (obviously).

But all chrono hands are rotating - even if they don't quite hit their marks. Functional Day and Date (multi-lingual) T.B.D. / W.I.P.

April 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That was just an initial test / experiment, based on an old photo I took of my 7A38-706A last year, to see if he could get it all working ....

The finished version will probably include more of the watch case. But I need to give him some better photos to work with, first. 

April 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Rev. 1 of the 'clock' is now installed on the Home page only, just for testing purposes. 8)

April 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ticking1

I'm loving the clock.  Hope it's as accurate as my other Seikos' ! :D

April 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Mike. Assuming your PC regularly synchronizes its 'system time' against the Atomic Clock, it should always be that accurate. ;)

April 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

Seiko7A38 at April 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Oh really ? :/

It's also very annoying to keep seeing it pop (by default) every time I post.

That's why I'm unchecking the 'Include my signature' box 99% of the time.

If you're going to have a signature, please keep it short (maybe to one line),

and please change the font to something different from the default Arial.

Touché... I meant doing it, but then I totally forgot, sorry. Fixed now.

--

April 18, 2013 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

Great clock your chap made, I like it a lot! And I've never seen a Seiko 7A38-xxxx dedicated one, either... ;) so that's a bonus! Will you use this same watch to make the final version?

And next question... would your programmer do something like that for my blog as well? Could you ask?

--

April 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks, George. But it's not quite finished yet (I hope). ;)

I will indeed be using the same model - a 7A38-706A, because its dial colour is the closest match to the dark blue of the header.

Plans are to add a (cropped) body to it (with non-working crown; pushers and foreshortened lugs) and a working day / date.

The problem we first need to resolve is the loss of resolution, caused by compression in Adobe CS6 - a known issue.

That's the reason we put it up 'as is', simply because with the current poor resolution, you can't read the day / date clearly. :(

I've already decided that it will only appear on the Home page and the main Forum home page and not on every individual page.

For the reason you pointed out, about page loading times - and because I don't want it to become too much of a distraction.

On the other pages there will be another graphic - an idea I'm currently working on.  8)

April 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

One thing that I'm seeing potential issues with is the relative positioning of the clock in the Webs 'Air' template header.

You may have noticed at the bottom of each page, it states:  This site is optimized for 1024x768.

That's what I use at home on my desktop PC - a 15" 4:3 LCD monitor running 1024x768 (in fact 2 of them side by side).

So what I see is this:

At work I use mostly a 19" LCD monitor - again 4:3 format running 1152x864. That works OK. I've tried adjusting the resolution of that monitor to 1280x960 and again, although there is some movement of the clock, relative to the 'by the numbers' text and the wisps of Air, it still works. But what about members who are using laptops or 'widescreen' 16:9 monitors with 1920x resolution ? I suspect, as the wisps of Air and the clock are currently left justified (but semi-floating) all may not quite look so dandy. Anybody 'with issues' fancy uploading a screen shot ? Sorry - I'm not interested in how it may look on mobile devices like iPhones and iPads at this stage. :P

April 19, 2013 at 6:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

Here is what I see, my resolution is quite odd, though 1440x900:

April 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Thanks for the very prompt response, George. 

Here's a screen print Simon kindly sent me, from his PC running 1920x1200 - where the floating header problem really manifests itself.

April 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

I am at the computer almost the whole day due to my work... ;)

Being the header a fixed part of the theme layout, and placing the watch animation inside the header code, will always result in it to be "binded" with it, and regardless of the resolution of the monitor, the watch will always be at the "end" of the white wisps of air as you call them.

You can check for yourself: drag and resize the chrome browser window: the logo "Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers" will more or less always stay in the same position, relative to the white content frame below, but the header will move left to right, adapting itself to cover as much horizontal area of the browser window as possible. The watch will of course move inside the browser window accordingly, being fixed to the header image.

I don't know if I managed to explain myself properly, this time... but I hope you get what I mean.

April 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.