Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > eBay, LeBonCoin, Mercado Libre, Yahoo Japan, etc. > Heads Up on yet another 7A38 Franken(s) - Part 2 !!

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at December 23, 2018 at 2:50 PM

I note the US eBay seller of that two-tone 7A38-7270 Franken made a few hasty revisions to the listing earlier this evening, including reducing their 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price from $219 to $129. Must have been a typo before. :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132896694249

It's not a suggestion - it's a FACT

They've also added these sentences to their description:

NB: I cannot represent this watch as fully original because an ebay user pointed out to me that the dial is not the right dial for this model. I am a small collector and not a Seiko expert. I plan to take the caseback off soon to add movement photos.

That subtle two-tone 7A38-7270 Franken sold yesterday evening, but not for the US eBay seller's reduced Buy-it-Now price of $129.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132896694249

WatchCount.com's Look-up tool reveals it actually sold for a Best Offer of $110.

The eBay Purchase History also shows that an earlier offer was retracted.

The seller has since joined the forum, but remained remarkably taciturn - in view of my possibly overly harsh earlier comments. It transpires he'd innocently bought the watch himself on eBay, already in this non-original Franken configuration.

December 31, 2018 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This vaguely described but attractive nonetheless, 7A38 Franken was listed on Yahoo Japan earlier today as a 7-day auction with an opening bid price of 13,300 Yen. In their description the seller states: It may be a combination of parts. They've only uploaded 2 rather small photos, but it's not difficult to identfy the component parts. It's the watch case of a stainless 7A38-7260, which has been fitted with the black 709L dial, hands and presumably entire movement from a black chrome plated 7A38-7080. Oh and there's that rather incongruous gold-plated crown. :roll:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t630415517

Google translates the Japanese seller's description as follows:

It is a Seiko chronograph.

This is the world's first quartz chronograph.

Variation of popular 7A28 7A38. I have it.

※details unknown. It may be a combination of parts.

I do not think so. I hope in junk treatment.

It is second - hand goods. Individual storage, with exhibition,

I need your help by basic no claim and no return.

※ Battery remaining amount.

In addition, reply of questions etc. may be delayed by consulting goods of acquaintance.

* We will refuse the bid for troubles avoidance.

· New person · If you have a bad evaluation even once

· Nervous · After negotiations

· Those who are renegotiating by phone, e-mail etc.

· Those who can not understand Japanese · After the bidding, reselling or purchasing agency In the case of cancellation due to malfunction, or a person who is to be an exhibitor, a person who is to be an exhibitor, the one with the evidence of being bid, when awarded, I will cancel the cancellation procedure by deletion or successful bidder's desire.

February 10, 2019 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JimSclavunos
This "Seiko Quartz Chronograph 7A38-7090" from an Italian seller has to be a Franken, right? Albeit a fairly good looking one, IMO. 

March 9, 2019 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I don't think so Jakob. It's just an unmolested stainless 7A38-7090, suffering from a bad case of 'patina'. The silvery-white 710L dial in this model is also found in the stainless 7A38-7190, 7A38-7280 and -7289. I've seen LOTS of cases of unevenly stained sub-dials in those models over the years. This is just another, but rather more even than most. I'm still not entirely sure what causes the effect - moisture ingress or fumes from a leaking battery, but the silver painted rings around the outer part of the sub-dials seem to suffer from some kind of chemical reaction and run, leading to this rusty pink-ish colour. Hang on a minute though, I seem to remember this particular 7A38-7090 ... ;)

Back in July 2017, an Italian named Valerio emailed me a photo of his 7A38-7090.

In the above photo, you can better discern (what were once) the silver painted rings.

Here's the reply I sent him on Wed, 26 Jul 2017:

Hello, Valerio.

The sub-dials on that 7A38-7090 are not the original colour. They are not so much faded as discoloured and stained. It is a fairly common problem with the silvery white 710L dial. The same dial is used in the stainless 7A38-7090, 7A38-7190, 7A38-7280 and 7A38-7289. I'm not sure why, but I've seen more 7A38-7190's afflicted with this problem. The dial should be the same silvery white colour all over (including the sub-dials), except they have silver-painted rings around their circumference. Although it's quite difficult to capture in photos. Here's a photo of my stainless 7A38-7090 attached.

I'm not sure what causes it. I think it is moisture ingress - a rusty film seeping from behind and between the dial plates. It may also be caused by fumes leaking from an old run-down battery, attacking the lacquer. I've only ever bought one watch - a stainless 7A38-7280 which was mildly affected by this problem. See attached photo of the dial. You can see the rust seeping from the date window in the 3 o'clock sub-dial.

There are numerous references to this problem on the forum, although I've never written a thread specifically about it.

I found a couple in these threads (mostly 7A38-7190's and 7A38-7280's with the stained sub-dial problem) ....

Here's an old wrist shot of my 7A38-7090 (possibly not the same one I sent Valerio):

March 10, 2019 at 5:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JimSclavunos

Thank you, that's very informative. I kind of like the way the oxidation (or whatever it is) has discolored the sub-dials, but perhaps it would look and feel rattier when actually holding it in my hands. 

March 11, 2019 at 7:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

g.creed

JimSclavunos at March 11, 2019 at 7:39 AM

Thank you, that's very informative. I kind of like the way the oxidation (or whatever it is) has discolored the sub-dials, but perhaps it would look and feel rattier when actually holding it in my hands. 

Hello, Jim and Paul and the others, long time I have not posted. Personally I love a watch with that kind of patina. Is there a topic on the forum with patina's dial? I don't think I ever saw the dial of a 7A so evenly "rusted", is it pink, is it salmon? I have a 7A with discoloration of the dial and unfortunately it is not as elegant as this one. 

March 15, 2019 at 4:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hello, Renaud - and welcome back. ;)

To answer your question: Is there a topic on the forum with patina's dial?

No there isn't currently, as I wrote in the copy of my email to Valerio quoted above:

There are numerous references to this problem on the forum, although I've never written a thread specifically about it.

Perhaps I should start one - specifically about the silvery-white 710L dial, because it appears to be a relatively common occurrence.

There certainly appears to have been a fair bit of interest in Valerio's 7A38-7090.

I notice that he ended his eBay listing earlier today as item no longer available.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183717903929

March 15, 2019 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.