Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-6109 SAA114J - Mid-size Gold-plated 'Blingy Diver' (US market model)

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Reasonably priced, given the overall condition / issues (see description), this 7A38-6109 was listed overnight on eBay in the States:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121547478986

Up For Sale is a PRE-OWNED Vintage - Very Rare Seiko 7A38-6109AO Divers Chronograph Sport 150 watch

Authenticity is 100% guaranteed.

This Watch is working but "NOT KEEPING GOOD TIME"

I am Selling as Needing Service - Needing Repair or Use for Parts

There is Gold Tone Wear on the Bracelet

Bracelet should fit a 6 3/4" Wrist - I measure a 7.50" Wrist and it is very tight on me.

Please look at Pic's as this is the Actual Item you are buying and the Pic's are a part of the description of the item up for Sale.

Features: 

Brand: Seiko

Bezel Function: Rotating

Case Material: Base Metal Stainless Steel - Gold Tone

Dial Color: White

Date Position: At the 3'o clock Position

Bracelet Material: Gold Tone Metal

Clasp: Seiko Signed

Movement: Quartz

Water Resistant: Yes - 15 BAR (150 m or 500 ft) - Watch has not been Tested.

Please Ask Any Questions You May Have Before Bidding or Buying. I will be GLAD to answer them.

One other small point I've noticed, is that the positions of the 1/10 second chrono' and constant seconds (which should be the shorter) sub-dial hands have been incorrectly interposed - indicating that the hands have been pulled and replaced at some time, for whatever reason. The chrono' sweep second hand is also well off its marks.

Belated Edit: that 7A38-6109 sold later the same day for its $95 Buy-it-Now price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121547478986

January 19, 2015 at 3:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'm sure regular readers are as fed up of reading my rants railing against the activities of would-be profiteering re-sellers - as I am p!ssed off to come across yet another such chancer. It really does make my blood boil sometimes. 

Here's that very same 7A38-6109 s/n 7N0099 which sold on eBay less than a month ago for $95, now listed on Yahoo Japan.

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h198356650 

超希少 スピードマスター 150mダイバー 7A38クロノ 作動良好!

Google translates the Japanese description as follows:

Japan difficult to obtain, it is rare SPORTS150 7A38-6109 Speedmaster system chronograph.

Normal 7A28 is like a 100m water resistant, but this type has been enhanced with the 150m waterproof.

With genuine belt with a sense of weight, is each operation has been confirmed, also firmly date day of the week display function

will operate. Although there is no big damage, scratches, etc. fine-I think there. And white dial with cleanliness, with heavy gold case & belt, it is a high quality of consent. Come ... please add your collection to this opportunity is a copy, but comes with taking theory for 7A28. * 7A38 1 stage-pull crown, adds day of the week, etc. switching operation in the rotation. Had been changed to a new battery for exhibition, around the arm is about 19.5cm. The size of the case, vertical about 43mm width (including the back cover bezel) about 39mm thickness of about 12mm so * us later owned does not have OH, concerning full-fledged waterproof I can not do security. Other than the initial failure, I hope no claim.

What doesn't translate quite so well is the pricing. :roll:

The opening bid price of 18,000 Yen (reserve set) is equivalent to $152. The 70,000 Yen Buy-it-Now price .... $591 !!! :o

February 16, 2015 at 12:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The first 4-day listing for this 7A38-6109 by would be profiteering YJ re-seller hinodetop007 ended 10 minutes ago @ 12:55 UK time.

With 10 minutes to go, someone had bid (the minimum) 18,000 Yen opening price - but the reserve was obviously far from met. :roll:

Seems like the seller had set it to automatically re-list, because when I refreshed the screen, it was already back with a new end date of 02/24, keeping the same item number, but now with nothing in the bidding history to show any bid had been placed previously. :/

I suspect we'll be seeing this re-listed on YJ for a while - as long as the deluded seller persists with his ridiculously inflated pricing.

February 20, 2015 at 8:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

killsnapz

Here is my 7A38-6109. Out of curiousity I checked my serial number 7N0124 against all of the ones you have noted here and I found no match. It's only major flaw is one you have noted which is all 4 of the ears on the bracelet links next to the case have been snapped off. I  also believe someone repaired this flaw more than once as there are only enough links now for the bracelt to fit about a 7 1/4 inch wrist. I have an 8" inch wrist so this watch gets no wrist time. Maybe one day somewhere a parts watch will show up on eBay with some links. I guy can hope right? So here are my pictures.

February 23, 2015 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

When I first spotted this 7A38-6109 listed by a US eBay seller late yesterday evening, it raised a smile. It' s not often that you'll see a used example offered with box, manuals, papers and spare links. But a quick glance through the seller's photos quickly turned to disappointment. The watch itself has had a hard life. Although the spare links included are from the original p/n Z1473G bracelet, it's been fitted with a generic aftermarket replacement - which is engrained with filth. Lots of plating wear to that and the watch case - plus someone has glued a 'cyclops' over the date. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251878359990

For Sale: Used Seiko Sports 150 Chronograph 7A38 Men's Wristwatch. 

Characteristics: 

Time Indication

Stopwatch

Counter Function (Three Different Scales)

Battery Life Indicator: The second hand moves in two second intervals when battery life nears its end.

This watch is well used and will need at least a good cleaning and a battery. The magnifier for the date is scratched. Includes original box and receipt from 1989, as well as original warranty info and book. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank You!

Probably best avoided unless you happen to be sat on a full salesman's sample case / bracelet and are looking to build up a full set. But even then you'd still need an original clasp, because there's no other evidence of the original bracelet besides the spare links.

March 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above eBay listing (which was set up for 30 days) ended rather prematurely, earlier this evening, after only a couple of days.

It sold against a Best Offer: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251878359990

According to Goofbid's eBay Best Offer History tool, the seller was prepared to let it go for $80 (ignore the £ sign - it's definitely USD).

March 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This well-worn looking but original 7A38-6109 was listed last night by a US eBay seller - offered through the GSP programme.

Note the acrylic bezel inlay is cracked at 30.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331517593959

Owned this watch since it was new, purchased in 1988-89. 

Been many years since I've worn it, but it worked last time I did. One of the buttons was sticky, but functional. I am making no claims to current functionality, only letting you know it's history. I would assume it is still functional as no damage has been done to it. 

I've added close-up photos from all angles so you can see it's exact exterior condition. 

Check out my feedback and bid with confidence.

March 30, 2015 at 4:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That US eBay listing for a 7A38-6109 ended last night, after midnight UK time. It sold for a mere $45 (approx. £30) after only 4 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331517593959

April 6, 2015 at 6:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-6109 was listed yesterday by a US eBay seller jacmat2001, with a laughably over-optimistic opening bid price of $400.

The less said about his attempts at close-up photography the better. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131576311358

Seiko 7A38 6109 Sports 150 Chronograph Gold Tone with White Bezal

Very Rare, Seiko Sports 150 chronograph. Watch is in very good condition. No scratches on face or glass. Some scratches on back cover

Everything works, watch is great working condition.

All original paperwork and documentation as well as all original packaging. Watch was purchased at Fortunoffs in Westbury in 1988. I have original receipts as well.

The Seiko 7A38 6109 does appear on Ebay occasionally but not this complete.

Please view pictures and let me know if you have any questions

****Domestic US only, no international shipping*****

Look closely at the seller's various photos and this example isn't quite as complete as he'd have you believe in the above sentence.

As with a number of previous used examples the 'ear' extensions have been broken off the bracelet first joining links, on both sides.

This is due to careless mishandling - allowing the bracelet to be bent back on itself, when taking the watch off, or it not being worn.

Indeed, in the last photo showing the case-back, you can see one of the first joining links has been stretched open quite badly. :(

Speaking of over-optimistically over-priced 7A38-6109's ....

August 12, 2015 at 5:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at February 20, 2015 at 8:05 AM

The first 4-day listing for this 7A38-6109 by would be profiteering YJ re-seller hinodetop007 ended 10 minutes ago @ 12:55 UK time.

I suspect we'll be seeing this re-listed on YJ for a while - as long as the deluded seller persists with his ridiculously inflated pricing.

Just as predicted, nearly 6 months later, it's still unsold and being automatically re-listed on YJ with the same ridiculous pricing.

August 12, 2015 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at August 12, 2015 at 5:17 AM

This 7A38-6109 was listed yesterday by a US eBay seller jacmat2001, with a laughably over-optimistic opening bid price of $400.

Needless to say it went unsold and was re-listed half a dozen times as the seller gradually reduced his preposterous asking price:

Most recently, the would-be seller re-listed it for 30 days, initially with a Buy-it-Now price of $170, which he later reduced to $150.

Thankfully someone finally put him out of his misery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131594411641

September 25, 2015 at 5:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This rather nicer, apparently mint example of a 7A38-6109 SAA114J was listed on eBay yesterday afternoon by a US seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252126383092

Unfortunately it's being offered through eBay's Global Shipping Program, which for any potential European buyer, means adding nearly another $100 bucks to the already somewhat ambitious Buy-it-Now asking price:

Up for sale Vintage Seiko Men's Watch in Gold Tone Model 7A38-6109. The watch is in perfect working condition, the battery is brand new. The front glass is scratch free. Size is about 39mm from edge to the edge of the watch. Overall condition is mint. This is a vintage model from 90's, hard to find in this clean condition. Please check pictures for condition of the watch.

Although it may possibly have been purchased by the original owner in the early 90's, the 7Dxxxx case-back serial number indicates a date of manufacture of December 1987. It'll be interesting to see what this one sells for. Probably one of the nicest examples on eBay in the last couple of years - but because of the 'bling factor' of limited appeal. I suspect it'll eventually go for a rather lower offer.

October 16, 2015 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As I surmised, that nice-looking example of a 7A38-6109 did fall to a lower 'Best' offer, but rather sooner than I'd expected:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262105770082

Unfortunately, as sometimes happens, Goofbid's eBay Best Offer History tool has so far failed to pick up the result. :(

So one can only speculate what it might have actually sold for. :/

October 24, 2015 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 'spares or repair' 7A38-6109 fitted with a non-original Citizen bracelet (which laughably includes one link from the original Seiko p/n Z1473G bracelet) was listed on eBay yesterday by a US eBay seller, with an equally risible Buy-it-Now asking price of $150.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262375004501

WELCOME TO MY AUCTION. I NOW SELL A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING AND NOT JUST WATCHES PLEASE CHECK BACK EVERY NOW AND THEN TO SEE WHAT I MAY HAVE FOR SELL. 

PLEASE NOTE I SELL GREAT WORKING WATCHES AND WATCHES THAT ARE JUST FOR PARTS OR REPAIR ONLY. SO BEFORE YOU BID ON ANY OF MY AUCTIONS MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BIDDING ON. IVE HAD SOME THAT ARENT READING MY LISTINGS THAT GOOD SO MAKE SURE YOU READ THE TITLE AND DESCRIPTION VERY GOOD.SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND DESCRIPTION FOR THIS LISTING IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE. THANK YOU!!

TERMS AND CONDITIONS 

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU EVER BID ON ANY OF MY ITEMS. ANYTIME YOU BUY ANY ITEM FROM ME AND IT ISNT WORKING, DOESNT WORK, IS BROKEN, MESSED UP, OR YOU DONT EVEN GET IT IN THE MAIL. IF SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE ITEM OTHER THAN WHAT IS STATED IN THE LISTING PLEASE MESSAGE ME, AND I WILL REFUND YOU YOUR MONEY BACK. IM NOT IN BUSINESS TO RIP PEOPLE OFF, OR TO MAKE PEOPLE UNHAPPY. IM IN BUSINESS TO SELL PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT, AND TO MAKE THEM HAPPY. WHEN I STATE THE CONDITION OF AN ITEM I GRADE IT EXACTLY HOW I SEE IT, THEN I SHIP THE ITEM OFF. NOW WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN THE TIME I MAIL IT OFF AND IT GETS TO YOU, OR DONT GET TO YOU. I CANT CONTROL THAT PART, BUT I WILL TRY TO HELP AS MUCH AS I CAN. I KNOW THINGS GET LOST, STOLE, BROKE, AND MESSED UP WHILE THEY ARE BEING SHIPPED THREW THE MAIL. SO, PLEASE, IF YOU GET AN ITEM THAT IS NOT HOW I STATE IT IN MY LISTING, PLEASE, MESSAGE ME FIRST. ANYWAYS, PLUS 99% OF THE TIME THEN THINGS GO WRONG, IT ISNT MY FAULT. SO PLEASE, CONTACT ME IN A MESSAGE IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, ALSO, I NO LONGER SHIP OUT OF THE USA, SORRY. IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN 10 FEEDBACK AND YOU DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO PAY FOR AN ITEM OR SOMETHING PLEASE MESSAGE ME, AND I WILL HELP YOU. THANK YOU, AND THE LAST THING I WANT TO SAY IS WHEN YOU BUY ANYTHING FROM ME. TRY TO PAY WITHIN 24 HOURS I KNOW SOMETIMES THAT CAN BE HARD. IF IT IS A PROBLEM, JUST MESSAGE ME TO LET ME KNOW. MOST THE TIME IT WILL BE FINE, AND I CAN GIVE YOU A LITTLE MORE TIME. THE REASON WHY I WANT YOU TO PAY FOR WHAT YOU BOUGHT IS BECAUSE I LIKE TO SHIP ALL MY PACKAGES OFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. MOST OF THE TIME THE NEXT DAY OR SO. ITS JUST SO MUCH EASIER, AND FASTER TO SHIP ALL OF THEM OFF AT ONCE IF I CAN. PLUS, THE PACKAGES WILL GET TO YOU FASTER SO PAY SOON SO YOU CAN GET YOUR PACKAGE FASTER. THANK YOU AND I HOPE YOU ENJOY SHOPPING WITH ME! 

PLEASE NOTE I NOW SHIP ABOUT TWICE A WEEK SO IT MAY TAKE A LITTLE LONGER TO RECEIVE YOUR ITEM OR ITEMS IF YOU ARE NOT OK WITH THIS OR YOU ARE IN A HURRY TO GET YOUR ITEM PLEASE DONT BUY OR BID ON MY ITEMS I WANTED TO BE FAIR AND LET YOU KNOW THIS IN ADVANCE SO YOU WONT BE MAD IF IT IS TAKEN A LITTLE LONGER TO RECEIVE YOUR ITEM OR ITEMS

DESCRIPTION

this watch is 100% authentic so buy with confidence 

please note this watch is as is for parts or repair only also the watch band is not original it is a citizen band if you know how to fix watches or need a certain part this would make a great project 

this is for a mens vintage SEIKO QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 150 CALENDAR DAY DATE WHITE FACE WATCH MODEL # 7A38-6109 this watch is as is for parts or repair only if you know how to fix watches or need a certain part this would make a great project these watches and watch parts are getting very hard to find add them to your watch parts stock pile before someone else does if you win this item please pay within 24 hours thanks

Apart from the Citizen bracelet, the watch is missing its constant seconds hand (conveniently almost hidden by the minute hand). That hand (which is slightly shorter than the other two) has been fitted badly on the 1/10 second sub-dial. Check out that pusher button at 4 o'clock. :roll: The acrylic bezel inlay is cracked too. All signs that this watch has been messed about with by a botcher. 

And if you've bothered to read through the description, I can only offer two words of advice to any foolhardy prospective purchaser:

April 9, 2016 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Late yesterday evening I ran a worldwide search on ended 7A38 listings on eBay.com, to see if there was anything I'd missed recently. Spotted this 7A38-6109 listed by a US seller, which sold in the first week of April for a comparative bargain Buy-it-Now price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191843012431

Seiko Womens Quartz Chronograph 7a38-6109 White Dial Gold Tone New Battery

Seiko Womens Quartz Chronograph 7a38-6109 White Dial Gold Tone New Battery 

The watch has a new battery and is keeping time.

Casing has scuff marks.

Crystal has issue near 2 o'clock, looks like it was peeled.

Bracelet in good shape, small scuff marks.

Chronograph works and resets to 0.

Will fit up to a 7 1/4" wrist.

Bezel has a scratch.

PLEASE VIEW PICTURE FOR VISUAL DESCRIPTION

Apart from the tarnishing on the bezel in a couple of places and the light rubbing wear to the bracelet's gold plating, not too bad an example. I've documented a lot worse in this thread. It sold, presumably as a Buy-it-Now for a mere $40 ! :o

Spot the seller's mistake ? Women's 

I suppose with the current fashion for women wearing (what were once considered) man-sized blingy chronographs, it's an easy one to make. I recently had the dubious privilege of handling a Michael Kors (Pulsar VD53 powered) ladies chrono' like this. A female work colleague needed her bracelet re-sizing. It was considerably larger (both diameter and height) and heavier than a 7A38-6109 ! :roll:

April 18, 2016 at 4:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at April 9, 2016 at 3:09 AM

This 'spares or repair' 7A38-6109 fitted with a non-original Citizen bracelet (which laughably includes one link from the original Seiko p/n Z1473G bracelet) was listed on eBay yesterday by a US eBay seller, with an equally risible Buy-it-Now asking price of $150.

That eBay listing for 'spares or repair' 7A38-6109 fitted with a non-original Citizen bracelet (and probably all manner of other undisclosed botches) was ended by the seller in the early hours of this morning.

Not sure which particular error was the reason for ending it, but the Buy-it-now price had been reduced from $149.99 to $99.99 the day before. Perhaps it was the placement of the (revised) decimal point  :lol: - because it's back again ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262415724607

May 2, 2016 at 4:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

That re-listed auction for the 'spares or repair' 7A38-6109 fitted with a non-original Citizen bracelet ended in the early hours of this morning. It sold for $31 - a far cry from the seller's original 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $149. That it actually made $31 can probably mostly be attributed to a newbie bidder h***m (3) who placed 22 of the 27 bids (bidding it up in $1 increments). :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262415724607

May 9, 2016 at 5:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-6109 in good used condition was listed yesterday evening by a US eBay seller - offered through the GSP programme.

There appears to be a minor problem with the bracelet's first joining link on the 12 o'clock side - it's opened out slightly, hence why it doesn't sit properly in any of the seller's photos. Should be fairly easy to rectify.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322238023412

I have this 7A38-6109 for sale here. 

This 7A38 movement is the first generation quartz chronograph watches of Seiko, or even of the world. 7A38 is a 15 jewels quartz all metal movement. It has day-date display window at 3, minute, hour, and chrono second central hands. Three sub-dials are 1/10th second counting at 3, normal second at 6, and 30 minute chrono reading at 9. This is a solid movement and praised by many collectors. 

This specific sample 7A38-6109 is of gold color, base metal actually, on the case, SS caseback, with matching base metal bracelet. Two chrono control buttons at 2 and 4, and the button at 10 is for function selection. The crown at 8 handles the day/date/time adjustment. Beautiful white dial with gold accent hour marks. In particular, the uni-directional rotating, 60 clicks, white bezel is cover with glass. Overall, this is a gorgeous watch with style and functions. The robust movement is the core of this beautiful watch.

The bracelet is good for 7.25” of wrist. I might be able to find the additional links but I can't at this moment. Of course I will include those extra link when found. 

Condition-wise, it is great. No visible cuts or scratches. There might be some swirls but I am not able to find any. The existence of the QC label is still attached to the caseback, which tells that is very seldom worn of its life. At leat I don't wear it much as I am a mechanical watch kind of guy. 

Thanks for looking. The photos are part of the description. Good luck.

August 24, 2016 at 12:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above eBay auction just ended a couple of minutes ago, with the 7A38-6109 selling for $162.55 (approx. £124.32) after 3 bids - all of which were placed in closing seconds.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322238023412

August 30, 2016 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

With the 7A38-6109 being a relatively common model in the States (if nowhere else), it's hard to believe it's been nearly a year since I last spotted one on eBay. This one was listed a couple of hours ago, with an opening bid price of $9.99. Unfortunately it's got a short bracelet (shorter than 7" according to the seller's description) and is suffering from a recalitrant chronograph sweep second hand. The case and bracelet look pretty decent with minimal plating wear, but as can be seen in the second photo, the first bracelet joining link on the 12 o'clock side is missing one ear - a common problem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272790053897

Vintage and rare Seiko. The bracelet is a bit short. I use a size 7 but this is small for me. This time piece works perfect with one exception. The second hand for the chronograph is NOT RUNNING. IT NEEDS REPAIR.

August 3, 2017 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.