Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-7060 Gold Tone - Made in Korea version

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

GeorgeClarkson at January 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Back to subject, it also amazes me your knowledge, and your "detective" skills.

My 'Detective' skills, George ?  In the words of Randy Bachman (of 70's rock band Bachman Turner Overdrive) - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Indeed, 'back to the subject' - albeit 6 years on from when I started this thread ....

December 3, 2018 at 4:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at March 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

So, if and when you see another one of these on eBay, hopefully you'll recognize it for what it is (rather than a fake or franken). ;)

The above is a rather pertinent partial quote from the previous page.

Ever since I was outbid on that Korean-made gold-tone 7A38-7060, back in September 2009, I've been keeping my eyes open for another example. It's extremely unlikely that I'll find one in the same mint boxed condition. There were probably thousands of them made and likely a few could be found by browsing market stalls in the Far East. It's not just the geographic and rarity factors, to be considered, there's the issue of 30 years worth of wear to the gold plating. So you can imagine my surprise when what certainly appears to be one, rocked up on eBay in Canada in the early hours of this morning. Note 'appears to be one'. 

It was a 7-day auction with an opening bid price of $1 (US not Canadian) but that also appears to be something of a red herring. See my comments about the bidding at the bottom of this post. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264070445580

SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH

RARE VINTAGE WATCH

MEN'S 38MM MODEL

First 1/10th second quartz Chronograph watch

HOW DO WE DATE THIS WATCH?

We can date this to May 1987 from the serial number on the watch back.

CONDITION

​Launched in August 1983, The Seiko 7A38 is a masterpiece. Over engineered for sure, but the fifteen jewel movement built on the success of the worlds fist Quartz chronograph (7A28) by adding a day a date feature.

This watch is in great condition, and comes with a good sized original bracelet that isn’t worn through the gold plate. The day wheel is in Japanese and English

​SIZE

38mm wide including the various pushers and crown, 10mm thick. Takes a 20mm strap. The bracelet will fit a maximum wrist size of 19.5cm

​Day in English and Japanese Kanji (adjusted with crown)

This watch is in excellent condition without any damage

the movement functions precisely

It is original and will become a perfect vintage collectible treasure

Please be advised that by Law Canadian buyers are subject to Tax according to the province of residence

Shipping by secure and fast FEDEX

Happy Bidding!

If you have questions do not hesitate to ask me I am standing by to assist you

Please keep in mind that my objective is your happiness and satisfaction

Please communicate before purchasing and after receiving your watch.

There is no mention in the seller's description that the watch is the Korean built version.* However it has almost all the hallmarks (pun intended) of being one. The dial printing is missing the word JAPAN and the Suwa symbol. If you zoom in, the dial part number is 708M. According to the seller's description it has an English / Kanji day wheel. The bracelet is stamped with the part number AB022 (or is it RB022 ?) instead of G1105. However, there appears to be something important missing. :/

The seller's photos mostly measure 850x650 pixels. That's much smaller than the maximum eBay allows nowadays (1600x1200). But strangely, their photo of the case-back measures only 400x306 pixels. I suspect this was deliberate - to hide the fact that they've either obliterated the KOREA SV case-back stamping (normally found directly under the serial number) - or photoshopped it out.

Indeed, at first glance all the seller's photos give the impression of being heavily photoshopped. The watch looks far too yellow. There's a good reason for that. Although the seller's description claims the watch is 'original', it appears to have been completely re-plated - in the wrong colour gold. They've probably used 18K. Not only that, they have literally completely re-plated it. If you compare this watch with photos of unmolested examples on the previous page, you'll see that the underside and edges of the bracelet should be bare stainless steel. Oops. :roll:

Then there's the bidding. This seller evidently regularly uses shill bidders to boost their auction results. There are two that stand out. One is the current high bidder, which is being used as a 'hare', that has 96% bidding activity with the seller.

The other, which has 100% activity with this seller, was used in the early stages of bidding, to help it along, but I suspect we probably haven't seen the last of him.

*Edit: In fact, in both the listing title and the item specifics, the seller falsely states: 

Seiko 7A38 7060 Chronograph Made in Japan Men's 38mm Rare ....

“Seiko 7A38 7060 Chronograph Made in Japan Men's 38mm Rare 1987 Watch....”

December 3, 2018 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I started this topic over 6½ years ago, as something as a light-hearted test of forum members' powers of observation. Due to the subject matter of the thread's first post - an innocuous-looking gold-tone 7A38-7060, advertised for sale on WatchUseek, back in January 2012, I naturally started it the the 'members only' forum section 'Other Watch Forum's Sales Corners', right at the bottom of the forum. It seemed the logical place and right at the time. The original title was:

An otherwise average-looking gold-tone 7A38-7060 - or is it ?

It had languished there, generally unviewed, out of the public eye ever since.

Yesterday, I updated it with the lengthy post above, simply because all the forum's information about this variant already existed there.* I did think about moving the thread to the eBay section, where it might better serve as a Caveat Emptor to potential bidders / buyers, but as it's as close to a (very) model specific thread as I'm likely to start, I've decided to move it here, where it rightfully belongs - and given it a slightly more appropriate title. ;)

*Not strictly true. There was one other 'basket case' example of a Korean made 7A38-7060, that I posted on Page 6 of the Bottom of the 7Axx Barrel thread, back in October 2013. Funnily enough, that was listed by regular Korean eBay seller kwonbax. It sold for a mere $22.50.

December 4, 2018 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Back to the 7A38-7060 currently under discussion. Last night I'd sent a message to the eBay seller, asking if he could send me the photo of the case-back in its original size (or at least 850x650 pixels - the same as all the others). I received a rather disconcerting reply this morning:

Strange that he should be offering a refund, before I'd even said I was interested in buying it. It also made me wonder if he actually has the watch in his possession. Oddly enough, I went back to look at the photos on his listing; right-clicked and saved the photo of the case-back again and this time, it downloaded in a slightly larger size - 500x382 pixels. It's a bit sharper too.

It looks like the case-back has been quite heavily skimmed and the KOREA SV stamping removed in the process. :( The 'AB022' bracelet stampings now look rather more like RB022. I guess we can blame that on Arpad (see page 1). :P

December 4, 2018 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Althought I'd pretty much made up my mind, I continued in my fruitless efforts to persuade the eBay seller to send me a larger version of the case-back photo - without success. This was his most recent reply in that message string. :roll:

It has to be said that the seller's wrist shot doesn't look much like a 72 year old's.

I was clearly getting nowhere and had tired of playing eBay message ping-pong. So I sent the seller another message, using my other eBay ID, asking him the pertinent questions outright. Even then, he tried to skirt around the KOREA SV case-back stamping - but did concede that he couldn't see it.

So there you have it straight from the proverbial horse's mouth, so to speak.

As for the seller's claim: will become a perfect vintage collectible treasure

Erm I don't think so - not with its originality thoughtlessly destroyed in this manner.

Not to this particular collector anyway.

December 5, 2018 at 4:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I awoke this morning, checked my email and found amongst a few other eBay notifications, a Bid Cancellation notice on item # 264070445580. I had placed a single sub-$20 bid on the watch. In the early hours of this morning, the Canadian eBay seller ended the listing as item no longer available, cancelling all bids in the process. It had been bid to $89 at that point.

There don't appear to have been any revisions made to the listing before it was ended. However, in ending the listing, the Canadian seller revealed something I hadn't previously been aware of. When I first saw the listing and took my screen print, it had already been bid to $5.50. But before the first bid was placed, there was an absolutely ridiculous option of a Buy-it-Now price - $1199.00 !!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264070445580

Whether the seller plans to re-list it at some point, more accurately and honestly described, remains to be seen. Hopefully they'll have a grasp of reality by then. :roll: Otherwise, with a suitable inscription engraved on the already defaced case-back, which frankly couldn't devalue it any more than the expensive excessive 18K gold re-plating has done, it might actually make a nice retirement gift for Mike ! :P

December 6, 2018 at 3:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.