Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Non-Seiko 7Axx Discussion Area (Re-branded mvmt's) > Ferrari Formula Fever - when the Red Mist comes down ....

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

donwatch at May 5, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Thanks Paul!  ;)  Sold for best offer of $650.

Don's Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531 (see bottom of the previous page) sold much quicker than most, taking less than 24 hours from listing to acceptance of offer. But then it was sensibly priced - to sell. ;)

However, there are others which take a little longer - and still don't actually sell. :roll:

May 6, 2019 at 5:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at November 27, 2018 at 9:09 AM

You can always tell when Christmas is coming. Not because of all the TV adverts, etc., but when Cartier Ferrari Formula chrono's start appearing on eBay Germany in droves. Yes, it's the silly season again. :roll: I had one eBay notification last week that included so many of the things, that I didn't have room to add them all to my eBay watching page. :/ Many of them were quite familiar, including a few with ludicrous 1000 Euro plus asking prices, that were listed this time last year and have obviously remained unsold. I'm not going to bother re-posting the links.

This was one of them, which I hadn't previously mentioned ....

Checking my records, this stainless re-dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula was listed by a German eBay seller in the run up to Christmas, last year, on 23rd November 2018, with a typically over-optimistic 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of 1299 Euros. I did subsequently remember to add it to my eBay watching page, after I'd made some room by deleting a few older ended listings. It's since been automatically re-listed every 30 days, retaining the same eBay item number, without any price reduction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153273813346

Cartier Ferrari Formula Stahl Gold red Day-Date Klassiker rot Sammler selten

Sehr schöne und äußerst seltene Ferrari Uhr, die damals von Cartier gefertigt und vertrieben wurde. Diese hervorragend verarbeitete Uhr weist eine schöne Symmetrie im Gehäuse und den Drückern auf. Das Gehäuse ist leicht geschwungen geformt und trägt sich angenehmn. Das sportlich rote Blatt integriert die Day-Date-Anzeige gut in den rechten Totalisator und spricht technisch affine Betrachter an.

Das Gehäuse der Uhr ist in Stahl-Gold gehalten und rahmt das Ferrarirote Blatt. Das Band ist aus Edelstahl und verfügt über eine Faltschließe mit Stretch-System.

Sie trägt unser UK-Qualitätssiegel, wird mit UK-Echtheitszertifikat ausgeliefert und hat 1 Jahr Gewährleistung ab Kaufdatum.

Marke: Cartier

Aufzug: Quarz

Material Gehäuse: Gold/Stahl

Material Armband: Stahl

Jahr: 90er

Zustand: gut

Box: Nein

Papiere: Nein

Standort: Langenfeld/Deutschland

Kaliber/Werk: Cartier Quarz

Basiskaliber: ETA

Durchmesser: 40 mm

Wasserdicht: 3 ATM

Material Lünette: Gold/Stahl

Glas: Saphirglas

Ziffernblatt: Rot

Farbe Armband: Stahl

Schließe: Faltschließe

Material Schließe: Stahl

Funktionen: Datum, Wochentagsanzeige, Chronograph

Sonstiges: Kleine Sekunde, Originalzustand/Originalteile

Zustand Zeiger und Zifferblatt: sehr gut

Zustand Glas: sehr gut

Zustand Gehäuse: gut

Zustand Gehäuseboden: gut

Zustand Schließe: gut

Zustand Band: gut

Zustand Kaliber/Werk: sehr gut

The only reason I'm bothering to mention it now, 6 months later, is that this morning, the German eBay seller finally ended the listing because of an error - presumably an error in the pricing. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153273813346

May 6, 2019 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Athough I've deleted the original listing from my eBay watching page, if my records are correct, this stainless two-tone red dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula was first listed by a UK eBay seller at the beginning of February. The day / dates shown in the seller's photos (and my captions added to them) would tend to confirm this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173859835941

Cartier Ferrari Formula Quartz Analog Chronograph Men's Red dial

Cartier Ferrari Formula

Movement Chronograph working perfectly regesting every second sets and rests all functions working

Dial beautiful red with yellow hands day and date

Case 41mm with gold plated bezel

Bracelet fits 18.5cm

The watch all original cartier powered by top movement this watch was released back on 80s and cartier bought a special movement to give most advanced timing however do google it very interesting history on the movement.

The watch have light scratches but for the age of the watch almost 35 years old it is in good condition.

The watch have no box or papers.

Question please ask.

If you live in the UK you will receive the watch next day delivery tracked and signed by Royal mail Monday to Thursday however Fridays and weekends will post on Monday.

Thank you for watching and please look to my watch selection.

Our ref P31

It sold this evening, against the current re-listing for the £499.95 Buy-it-Now price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173859835941

May 9, 2019 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at May 3, 2019 at 9:43 AM

There was another stainless two-tone red-dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula (model # F6104801) listed by a German eBay seller in the last week of April. It was a 7-day auction with an opening bid price of 1 Euro, but this time with no reserve price set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254210336563

Originale Cartier Ferrari Formula Uhr

I'd placed a couple of bids on it, taking the bidding up to 300 Euros. After some deliberation, I decided to let it pass. Probably a bad decision, in hindsight, because when the auction ended a couple of days ago, it sold for a very reasonable 400.50 Euros after 41 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254210336563

For whatever reason, that sale of a stainless Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531 (model # F6104801) appears to have fallen through, because the German eBay seller re-listed it last week as another 7-day auction.

I thought I might have another punt at it, but this time around, the bidding had already passed the 400 Euro mark, with 10 hours of the auction still to run, so I resolved to pass (again). It sold yesterday evening for 525 Euros after 40 bids.

May 18, 2019 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

There have been an unusually high number of stainless red-dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula's listed and sold on eBay recently, particularly model # F6104801. But I suspect this example, listed yesterday evening by a US eBay seller, will be hanging around unsold for a long time. Not only is it in no better than average well worn condition, without box or papers, but the deluded would-be seller is asking an absolutely ridiculous $2525 as a Buy-it-Now ! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392301211614

Welcome to my eBay Store

Cartier Ferrari Formula Quartz Analog Chronograph Watch

Red Dial

Seiko Movement - 7A38

Case Size - 41MM

Adjustable Band That Fits Up to a 7.5" Wrist

New Battery Installed on 5/20/19

Great Condition & Well Kept

Bid With Confidence

Feel Free to ask any questions before bidding please

If you would like additional pictures please send me a message

Check out my other listings for more great deals!

100% Authentic or your Money Back Guarantee!!

Free Shipping on All Items!

May 23, 2019 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

There was another listing for a red-dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula on eBay Germany earlier this week, that's worthy of a mention. I'm certain, that when I first saw it on Monday evening, it was a 7-day auction with an opening bid price of 399 Euros. So I just added it my eBay watching page and didn't bother taking a screen print at the time. The next time I happened to look at it (from my eBay watching page) I noticed the seller had reduced the opening bid price from 399 Euros to only 1 Euro, and also reduced the duration to 5 days (as can be confirmed by the revision history).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153503885315

Ferrari Formula Cartier Uhr

Sehr schöne und äußerst seltene Ferrari Uhr, die damals von Cartier gefertigt und vertrieben wurde.

Diese hervorragend verarbeitete Uhr weist eine schöne Symmetrie im Gehäuse und den Drückern auf.

Das sportlich rote Blatt integriert die Day-Date-Anzeige gut in den rechten Totalisator und spricht technisch affine

Betrachter an.

Das Gehäuse der Uhr ist in Stahl-Gold gehalten und rahmt das Ferrarirote Blatt.

Das Band ist aus Edelstahl und verfügt über eine Faltschließe mit Stretch-System.

Die Funktionalität der Uhr wird garantiert. Batterie wurde erst vor ein paar Tagen gewechselt.

Marke: Cartier

Aufzug: Quarz

Material Gehäuse: Gold/Stahl

Material Armband: Stahl

Jahr: 90er

Zustand: gut

Box: Ja

Papiere: Ja

Standort: Langenfeld/Deutschland

Kaliber/Werk: Cartier Quarz

Basiskaliber: ETA

Durchmesser: 40 mm

Wasserdicht: 3 ATM

Material Lünette: Gold/Stahl

Glas: Saphirglas

Ziffernblatt: Rot

Farbe Armband: Stahl

Schließe: Faltschließe

Material Schließe: Stahl

Funktionen: Datum, Wochentagsanzeige, Chronograph

Sonstiges: Kleine Sekunde, Originalzustand/Originalteile

Zustand Zeiger und Zifferblatt: sehr gut

Zustand Glas: sehr gut

Zustand Gehäuse: gut

Zustand Gehäuseboden: gut

Zustand Schließe: gut

Zustand Band: gut

Zustand Kaliber/Werk: sehr gut

Viel Spaß beim Bieten

I had my doubts about it for a couple of reasons: I wasn't sure whether the mostly stainless surfaces had been refinished and the bracelet looked rather short, lacking in removeable adjustment links. I messaged the seller asking what size wrist it would fit and if he had any spare adjustment links. He didn't deign to reply. I bid it to just shy of 300 Euros and decided to leave it at that. The 5-day auction ended yesterday evening, selling for 376.82 Euros after 27 bids. Possibly a good buy for someone with a smaller wrist. :/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153503885315

June 2, 2019 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

There's definitely something fishy going on with that stainless red dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula, listed by German eBay seller nekur59 (see my earlier series of posts higher up the page). A hidden agenda (perhaps an unstated reserve price) ? Last week, he re-listed it once again. The latest 7-day auction ended earlier this evening, with it theoretically selling this time around for 401 Euros after 22 bids. This time I deleberately refrained from partaking altogether.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254246699142

June 4, 2019 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'm probably a bit late in posting this - and definitely too late for the nine poor fools currently bidding on this particular red-dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula, for whom the 'Red Mist' has turned into a red 'pea souper'. :( Had I posted about it earlier, when I first saw it, a while back, I probably would have flagged it in the 'Wrong Uns' thread, rather than here. I just received a timely reminder the auction was ending soon. :roll:

Catawiki may try to present a more professional appearance than eBay, with their supposed experts (joke), but the same perils and pitfalls are out there, waiting to trap the unwary buyer. This modified watch, being touted as in 'very good condition' (if not actually claiming it to be 100% original) was listed on 21st June, as a 10-day auction, with a temptingly low opening bid price of 250 Euros and no reserve.

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/27693663-ferrari-formula-by-cartier-crono-tricompax-daydate-men-1980-1989

The seller's lengthy description conveniently omits to mention that this watch has been modified from its original factory specification. The lug box area has been filed out to take the 16mm (not 20mm as claimed) generic red 'mock croc' leather strap now fitted. This watch was not originally fitted with a leather strap. Going by the fact it has drilled lugs (or should I say, what's left of them) I strongly suspect it was once a model F6104801 (as per the various examples higher up this page) fitted with a two-notch semi-integrated two-tone bracelet. It sure as hell didn't leave Ateliers ABC looking like it does now. Here's how the correct / original / leather strap version (model # F6604901) would have looked, fitted with a 12.5mm lug width notched red shark strap - and rather more metal on the lugs !

June 30, 2019 at 6:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above 10-day Catawiki auction for that red-dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula with butchered lug ends ended a few moments ago, supposedly selling for 950 Euros (plus 9% buyer's commission) after 20 bids.

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/27693663-ferrari-formula-by-cartier-crono-tricompax-daydate-men-1980-1989

I'm pretty certain this isn't the first time I've seen this watch listed on Catawiki, so hopefully the latest unlucky winning bidder won't be foolish enough to pay up. :/

June 30, 2019 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

So how much is a Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531 model # F6094801 in 'NOS unworn condition' worth, in today's marketplace - in real world terms ? Answer: Probably nothing like as much as this hopeful UK eBay seller would have you believe. This almost mint example was listed a couple of weeks ago, on 23rd June, with a 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of £1500, or the option to make a much lower, more sensible offer. It'll be interesting to see what it eventually sells for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323841637075

Ferrari Formula Cartier Chronograph

With Original Box, Instruction Book & International Guarantee Card.

Bought Many Years Ago - New Never Worn - Probably The Best Available.

New Battery Fitted.

July 9, 2019 at 6:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Must admit I couldn't resist making the seller a cheeky lowball offer (£500).

He's just responded with a counter-offer of £1000, so there's scope for negotiation.

July 9, 2019 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

No great surprise, that 'wrong un' red-dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula that I flagged up at the end of last month is was back re-listed on Catawiki again this evening. 

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/28190211-ferrari-formula-by-cartier-crono-tricompax-daydate-no-reserve-price-men-1980-1989

Edit: Catawiki link now showing Page Not Found - so perhaps it's been pulled.

July 19, 2019 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.