Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Axx General Discussion Area > Anybody thinking about hooking a rare 7A48-7050 Fishing Master ?

nyonya

Does anyone know if this model is really a 41mm diameter? Significantly larger than most 7A38s then. Anybody know the lug to lug? Also, how hard would it be to get this one on a leather strap? Thanks!

January 30, 2018 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I wouldn't be surprised. Indeed I think I read somewhere it was 41.5mm diameter. Not hard to imagine with a 30.5mm Ø crystal and the width of that bezel. 

I'd say nigh on impossible - any strap would need notching down to 10mm, which wouldn't be particularly secure. Unless you could find some 10mm to 20mm strap adaptors. Something like these might work.

January 31, 2018 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nyonya

Thanks for the info. Any idea where I could find adapters like that?

January 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Try googling - like I did.

January 31, 2018 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nyonya

I did try that - the first few pages on Google yielded no results, neither did Aliexpress, eBay or Amazon - what phrase did you search for?

OK I did find the ones you posted - but those are for a 16mm case. Do you know of any that would fit the Fishing Master? Thanks!

January 31, 2018 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I did say: Unless you could find some 10mm to 20mm strap adaptors. Something like these might work.

February 1, 2018 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at January 28, 2018 at 3:46 AM

This 7A48-7050 Fishing Master in average worn condition, badly fitted with a non-original replacement bracelet, was listed a couple of days ago, by a Turkish eBay seller, as a 7-day auction with an opening bid price of $149.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273042090320

That eBay auction by a Turkish seller, for a 7A48-7050 Fishing Master, fitted with a non-original bracelet, ended this morning, selling for $380 after 29 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273042090320

February 2, 2018 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ketap

Yes, it is now mine. :) Now I am looking for the right bracelet.

February 17, 2018 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Good luck with that quest, Carlo. :roll: I suspect there may be a few others looking for one, besides you. :/ Including the buyer of this 7A48-7050 'Head Only' ....

I've just done a retrospective search on closed auctions on Yahoo Japan and spotted this 7A48-7050 Fishing Master 'Head Only' that was listed by a 'Store' seller in the first week of March.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t557517713

As is customary with YJ 'Store' seller auctions, the listing was absolutely riddled with advertising, so to save anybody clicking on the link and being bombarded, here's the salient points, including a translation of the formatted description.

セイコー フィッシングマスター ケースのみ 時計 7A48-7050 クロノグラフ ムーンフェイズ 中古

Seiko Fishing Master Case Only watches 7A48-7050 Chronograph Moon Phase Used

As stated above, it was suffering from a sticky pusher and a badly scratched crystal. It sold for the opening bid price of 19,800 Yen + 8% Japanese Sales Tax - presumably to an international buyer using one of the proxy bidding services.

April 19, 2018 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Here's something at the other opposite extreme of the cosmetic condition scale.

This NOS with tags 7A48-7050 was listed on Yahoo Japan yesterday, as a 7-day auction with an opening bid price of 1000 Yen and no reserve. Bidding is already fast approaching 50K Yen and I expect it will sell for six figures in six days time.

Although I'm not a fan of Moonphase, I've long been attracted to the 7A48-7050 Fishing Master. I've passed on a couple of decent examples that I probably should have bought at the time and I guess I've missed the boat. Something that's put me off on a couple of occasions, is the rims of the sub-dials can sometimes appear discoloured in photos. This otherwise mint example is another case in point.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u194229584

Google translates the Japanese seller's brief description as follows:

It is a deadstock mint condition still with price tag still attached. Battery only has been replaced with new one.

We are fully moving. I think that it is okay for more than 20 cm since the belt around the arm is full.

April 19, 2018 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above Yahoo Japan auction for a NOS 7A48-7050 Fishing Master ended a minute ago, selling for a hefty ¥161,000 Yen after 51 bids. That's equivalent to approx. $1475 USD / £1058 GBP.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u194229584

April 25, 2018 at 9:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seacreechur

Thanks for posting this Paul. It now appears that both Simon and I didn't fare too badly with our purchases last year.

Michael

April 28, 2018 at 5:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

There was a 7A48-7050 Fishing Master listed on Yahoo Japan last weekend, though you might have been hard pressed to find it. I only spotted it, purely by chance this afternoon, with just 2 hours of the 7-day listing left to run. It was listed as a low start (1 Yen) no reserve auction. By the time I first saw it, bidding was already over 37,000 Yen, though it would go on to better than double that.

Although the seller categorized it as only one level better than 'Junk' the watch didn't appear to be in too bad a condition. However, it clearly had some issues that needed sorting - a blob of rust was jamming the 1/10s chronograph hand and there was more creeping from between the inner bezel and the crystal. :(

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t572950396

1円~used セイコー クォーツ 動作確認済(E-ト91)

Google translates the seller's diabolically poor title and description as follows:

1 yen ~ used Seiko Quartz operation confirmed already (E-T 91)

Please be sure to confirm the self-introduction column before bidding and offer a bid after understanding / acknowledgment.

Description of item

1 yen ~ used Seiko Quartz movement confirmed Chrono defect · belt on decoration which

Product size

face (crown containing crown size) W about 4.5 cm Arm rotation maximum about 17.5 cm

(Since it is an amateur flat putting measurement, please understand some error etc. Please understand size in reference to men's and ladies' Please judge the highest bidder above.The case of the belt is not listed even if it is an outside goods.)

Product condition

rank 【2 】 There is considerable use, repair and repair is necessary.

Exhibits are only for images. Even though accessories not in the image are stated as new and described, basically they are not included so please understand · please understand.

Please confirm the state with the image.

Even with products that have been tested for operation, the battery may have run out on arrival. In that case please change the battery at the highest bidder burden.

Even if there are any reasons about the item with the statement "junk item" and "battery exhaustion" in the title, please do not bid for returned goods correspondence because we do not do returned-goods correspondence.

In regard to the item with the description "Operation confirmed" in the title, please be assured we will correspond with full refund if there was an initial failure. (Please understand that we can not do exchange correspondence with similar items.)

The auction ended a few moments ago, on schedule - automatic extension was enabled but it seems everbody was done. It sold for ¥76,000 Yen after 20 bids, equivalent to approx $686.50 USD / £517.10 GBP.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t572950396

June 16, 2018 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A48-7050 Fishing Master, in average condition, was listed this morning by a Thai eBay seller with a slightly over-optimistic 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $590. Yes, they have sold on Yahoo Japan for more recently, but ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263810740545

Seiko Quartz Chronograph Watch 7A48 7050 JDM Fishing Master Moon Phase

This is an Seiko Quartz Chronograph Watch 7A48 7050 JDM Fishing Master Moon Phase. It is in good condition with some signs of use to the case and bracelet. Please see photographs for measurement of bracelet.

GOOD CONDITION--THIS MEANS THAT THIS IS A USED WATCH THAT HAS SOMEWHAT LESS SIGNS OF USE THAN ONE WOULD EXPECT FROM A WATCH OF THIS VINTAGE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CONDITION OF THE ITEM, HOW IT LOOKS AND/OR FUNCTIONS PLEASE ASK BEFORE BIDDING. LOOK AT PHOTOS CAREFULLY PLEASE, PREFERABLY ON A DEVICE LARGER THAN A SMARTPHONE.

Note: Please check to see if your country tracks registered international parcels before bidding. We will not be responsible for delays or loss when shipping to Canada, Italy or Germany. Though it is unusual for items to take more than 23 business days to arrive, there are instances where customs processing will lead to a delay. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Flate rate $11.00 via Thailand Post Registered Air. Will combine two watches for one shipping price. Please be advised that we send all packages registered with tracking numbers with no exceptions . We encourage buyers to track their purchases using the post office website of their home country to follow delivery and/or delivery attempts. This may affect delivery to Post Office Boxes. We will only ship to the address that you have provided to Ebay. PayPal only.

July 12, 2018 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Having now been re-listed twice, the above 7A48-7050 Fishing Master currently remains unsold. Most recently (yesterday) the Thai eBay seller has reduced the Buy-it-Now price to $429.99. See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263838356223

In the early hours of this morning, it was joined on eBay by another example, in rather more well worn condition, listed by the Filipino eBay seller badingski, as a 7-day auction, with an opening bid price of $9.99.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202385310345

July 30, 2018 at 8:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

By yesterday evening, there had only been two low bids placed on badingski's 7A48-7050 Fishing Master. He ended the listing early this morning, because of an alleged error. Presumably poached off eBay using a 'back door' gaff hook. :/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202385310345

July 31, 2018 at 1:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Checking my eBay watching page, I see that 7A48-7050 Fishing Master listed by the Thai eBay seller sold in the early hours of this morning. But not for his still further reduced Buy-it-Now price of $399.99.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263853227134

WatchCount.com's look-up tool reveals it actually sold for a best offer of $360:

As confirmed by the eBay Purchase History:

August 5, 2018 at 3:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Speaking of 7A48-7050 Fishing Masters, Filipino watch collector ditoy_eagle posted this photo of one in his recent 7Axx collection update thread on SCWF.

Studying Ditoy's photo, there's some minor paint loss around the perimeters of the sub-dials. Those minor flaws help identify this as being the same 'Junk' 7A48-7050 Fishing Master, which sold on Yahoo Japan in mid-June for 76,000 Yen. Looks like it cleaned up very nicely. ;)

August 5, 2018 at 3:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This very nice, well cared for example of a 7A48-7050 Fishing Master was listed on Yahoo Japan earlier today, as a 5-day auction, with a confident opening bid price of 98,000 Yen.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o256521163

Google translates the Japanese seller's description as follows:

■ Item explanation

It is an acquaintance requested item. There are slight scratches, but considering the model year is pretty beautiful goods.

Glass is beautiful. Bless back buckle back pig fine thread but there is beautiful. Bezel rotation is also smooth.

Battery replacement completed with a repair trader last month. According to the instructions, operation is confirmed and it is normal and there is no problem.

Chronograph start stop integration reset, moon phase, date needle is also fine without problems.

The circumference of the arm is about 18.5 cm. If it is up to about 18 cm in actual size it seems to be problematic. There are not too many links.

At that time the box, instructions included (there are some bruises).

■ Please carefully read the description items and product description, images carefully and please bid on the understanding.

■ The items are items that are mostly used at home and become unnecessary or individual collection items.

■ Explanation column and images Understanding the state after confirming the condition, please bid, please purchase.

■ Please be sure to ask the unknown point, questionable point before bidding. (When there is a difference in item description and image, image judgment takes precedence.)

■ Please understand that there may be extremely fine rubbing etc. by individual house storage even if it is a brand new unused item.

■ Explanation of the state of the product Please refrain from the complaint because it is due to my personal opinion.

○ Please confirm payment within the due date within the 2nd day (48 hours) after the bidding successfully the shipping address, the simple settlement will be due within the due date.

○ If the above period has passed the purchase intention Only None Please note that since it is deletion of successful bidder convenience and "very bad" evaluation comes from Yahoo.

○ Saturdays-and-Sundays public holidays It is possible to ship if there is time even at year-end and new year.

○ It can not be guaranteed about the waterproof performance of the used watch when the battery runs out and when it is brand new.

○ For the accuracy of the mechanical watch please consider it as a reference value of the individual measurement to the last.

○ About our arm around the size with our left wrist (16.5 cm) It is based on the subjectivity you did, please consider it as a rough reference value. Even if you do not fit, you can not return it but if it is absolutely necessary to respond to the return on successful bid commission 8% + postage burden.

○ The product itself will be protected firmly with air packing but the whole packing will be simple packing .

○ When there are problems such as defects in the product, we will respond if you contact us within 2 days (48 hours) after receipt.

(Junk products are not allowed to return at all.)

Even in the case of evaluation "very good" or "good" as for evaluation it is evaluated Since it is unnecessary, I would appreciate your favor. (We will evaluate "very good" if there is an offer if necessary.)

August 14, 2018 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Given the prices that nice examples have sold for recently, I'm a little surprised that 7A48-7050 Fishing Master currently remains unsold. :/

I had to have a good chuckle to myself, when I noticed that grossly incompetent Japanese eBay proxy seller / would-be profiteering re-seller utsun_2014 had listed it on eBay in his usual half-arsed manner. Note: 7A28-6000 in the title. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223107614826

The same mistake is repeated in the description, along with 7A28-7050. :roll:

Makes me wonder why there's 20 people watching this eBay listing, when you could potentially buy it off Yahoo Japan for the US Dollar equivalent of $880 - compared to this idiot's risible Buy-it-Now asking price of $1300.

August 23, 2018 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.