Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-7140 SAA051J - Black Chrome coated (NOT a Guigiaro design)

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at January 3, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Here's possibly another NOS 7A38-7140 listed earlier today by Italian eBay seller strega_68, with a typical 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now asking price of $2300 !! :o I say 'possibly another', because this might well be the same watch previously listed by his partner angeli_65 - which of course we never actually got to see any photos of (least not of the actual watch for sale). See below. ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122296922246

Italian eBay seller strega_68's listing for a NOS 7A38-7140 ended earlier this morning, rather sooner than I'd expected.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122296922246

Sold not as eBay would have you believe for $2300 - but against a Best Offer ....

It hasn't been that reliable of late, but I thought I'd give Goofbid's eBay Best Offer History tool one last try ....

Which shows that it actually sold for a Best Offer of a cool $1000. Not a bad result.

January 4, 2017 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mahamithra

Hi You think this is overpriced for a NOS?

January 4, 2017 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Absolutely ! Though it's certainly not the highest price that's been paid for a NOS 7A38-7140, by any means.

Go back to the first page of the thread - someone paid $1450 (as a Best Offer against a Buy-it-Now of $1800) in August 2013.

I paid 200 Euros for mine, back in December 2010 - I made a 'back door' offer to the Italian seller (who hadn't set a B-I-N price).

I thought that was a pretty fair offer at the time; that was before all these other NOS examples started turning up on eBay Italy.

Then you've got that young Italian chap David, who picked one up from a jeweller's shop for 100 Euros in September 2013.

The 7A38-7140 has got to be one of a couple of watches that makes the most frequent appearances on eBay Italy as NOS.

Another is the black chrome 7A28-7000 'Aliens'. It's almost as if Seiko off-loaded all their unsold stock on their Italian distributor.

January 5, 2017 at 3:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As I wrote above, only a couple of weeks ago:

The 7A38-7140 has got to be one of a couple of watches that makes the most frequent appearances on eBay Italy as NOS.

Here we go again ! 

This NOS 7A38-7140 was listed by another Italian eBay seller (and a Zero feedback one, at that) less than an hour ago, with a typically ludicrous opening bid price of 1750 Euros or Buy-it-Now option for a mere 2450 Euros. :lol: Sounds familiar ? :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172507798006

Rare Vintage Seiko Chronograph Watch 7A38-7140 Sports 100 "By Giugiaro Desing"

Stock fund

Never worn

Full functional

From private collection

It would appear, from the almost identical title and description, including the typo 'Desing' and the supposed item location of Volpiano, that this person has cloned a previous listing by angeli_65 or strega_68, using eBay's Have one to sell? feature. The photos are their own (not up to the same standard) and this is a different watch (case-back serial number 580442 versus 660078).

I find it hard to believe there can be that many NOS 7A38-7140's still kicking around. I suspect this may be one we've seen before.

January 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at November 12, 2016 at 5:00 AM

Checking my eBay watching page, I noticed that the latest (automatic 30-day) re-listing for that other NOS 7A38-7140, first listed by Italian eBay seller mppiemonte in mid-May, had been ended early this time, 'because the item is no longer available'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162068684756

Whether it was just withdrawn due to 'competition' from angeli_65's ludicrously over-priced example, or sold off eBay (presumably for a lower figure than 900 Euros) is anybody's guess. :/

I suspect it may be the same NOS 7A38-7140 offered by Italian eBay seller mppiemonte last year, which was withdrawn. ;)

Can't prove it conclusively (no photo of the case-back / serial number), but that one also had a partial sales tag attached. 8)

January 30, 2017 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I ran a search on ended listings on eBay Italy this morning (I was actually looking for something else) and belatedly spotted another listing for a 7A38-7140 which I'd previously missed - a couple of weeks ago. The Italian seller only uploaded two photos, both of which showed plenty of wear to the black chrome coating.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322398364674

SEIKO 7A38 - 7140 CHRONOGRAPH WATCH SPORTS 100 "BY GIUGIARO DESIGN"

Splendido orologio Seiko 7A38 - 7140 CHRONOGRAPH WATCH SPORTS 100 "BY GIUGIARO DESIGN", usato con normali segni di usura, tutto coevo e funzionante. Cinturino originale, lunghezza 13.5 cm.

È un orologio fuori produzione, rarissimo! Per altre foto contattatemi. Si accettano tutti i metodi di pagamento: paypal, ricarica, bonifico.

Although the condition wasn't particularly good, I'd suspect it sold quickly as a Buy-it-Now for 280 Euros - hence why I missed it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322398364674

February 4, 2017 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hardly worth mentioning really. Needless to say, that NOS 7A38-7140 listed by the zero-feedback Italian eBay seller at the end of January went unsold at the opening bid price of 1750 Euros. He re-listed it again at the same price and then once again with the opening bid price reduced to 1450 Euros, with the same predictable outcome. I noticed he'd re-listed again this morning with the opening bid reduced to 'only' 1250 Euros but this time no Buy-it-Now option. I guess he'll get there in the end. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172555649204

March 1, 2017 at 6:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This mint example of a 7A38-7140, surprisingly tagged as 'Used', rather than 'New' was listed earlier this morning by a German eBay seller (the same lisa93uhren offering the 7A38-6000 and a mint-ish 7A38-7080), with a Buy-it-Now price of 650 Euros.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132121588908

Verkaufe sehr seltenen Seiko Vintage Quartz Chronograph Sports 100. 

Aus den 1980 er Jahren in sehr guten fast ungetragenen NOS Zustand. 

Referenz 7A38-7140. Seiko Chronograph Quartz Sports 100. 

Gehäusedurchmesser ohne Krone ca. 40 mm. 

Alle Funktionen arbeiten sehr gut. 

Wunderschöne sehr seltene Sammleruhr, einer der ersten Quartz Chronographen von Seiko. 

Verkauf von privat, keine Rücknahme. Versand erfolgt versichert.

March 10, 2017 at 6:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above eBay listing for a mint condition 7A38-7140 ended a couple of hours ago - rather sooner than I'd expected it would.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132121588908

It didn't go for the 650 Euros Buy-it-Now price shown, but actually sold against a best offer of 380 Euros.

The German eBay seller clearly wasn't that confident of their pricing, because they only received two offers before accepting - both from the same person. At 380 Euros, that's got to be one of the most sensible prices paid for a 'NOS' 7A38-7140 a long while. 

March 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ketap

Yes, now it's mine. :) Near mint and a good price. ;)

http://uhrforum.de/selbsthilfegruppe-der-seiko-quartz-verrueckten-t209503-162

(Post edited by Admin).

Shown further down the same page of that Uhrforum thread with Carlo's other two recent 7A38 acquisitions. ;)

March 18, 2017 at 4:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

At the risk of repeating myself (again) .... As I wrote above, only a couple of weeks months ago:

And still they keep on crawling out of the woodwork. :o

Yet another NOS black-coated 7A38-7140 appeared on eBay Italy this lunchtime, with an opening bid of only 1 Euro and no reserve*.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112353992146

Seiko quartz nuovo mai indossato referenza 7a38 7140 con scatola da collezione. Spedizione in tutto il mondo con DHL.

*Well pertaps not a reserve price in the traditional sense. This Italian eBay seller appears to favour a more subtle approach, regularly using a shill to set their minimum target selling price. Current high bidder 2***5 (3) placed their bid within 5 hours of the auction being listed and will no doubt continue to act as a 'hare' in the coming week. Their 100% bidding activity with this seller (and never winning) clearly indicates a shill.

Further evidence of this underhanded tactic can be found by checking the bidding history of their recently ended auction listings. They don't use it to full effect all the time - if there's sufficient interest, for example on their recent listing for a 7A38-701A. A couple of good examples are item numbers 112339688894 (where 2***5 bid 400 Euros) and 112340921637 (where 2***5 bid 500 Euros).

March 31, 2017 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I did a little more digging into this Italian eBay seller's nefarious activities, which I've written up in this thread (specfically about different shill bidding techniques), in the eBay section. Then quite mysteriously, half an hour ago, the Italian seller pulled the listing. :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112353992146

Although the above ended summary shows 0 bids, the evidence of their frantic activity is still visible in the bidding history:

Note their first action, a full 40 seconds before they cancelled the others, was to cancel the spurious bid by shill bidder 2***5.

As it transpires, their 'hidden reserve price' was a relatively sensible 300 Euros - which likely would have been exceeded. :roll:

Whether they did this in a failed attempt to cover their tracks, or it's been sold off eBay via the 'back door', remains to be seen. :/

Still I'm sure another NOS 7A38-7140 will be along shortly. :P

April 1, 2017 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I was in two minds as to whether bother posting this. :/ When I first saw this eBay listing, yesterday evening, I deliberately decided to delay posting, because going by past experience, this Italian seller frequently changes some of his photos soon after creating a new listing. I was waiting to see if he’d upload any better photos. His initial set was typically substandard and some were particularly poorly lit: the pale lilac coloured backgrounds are white paper and the dial colour should of course be a bright yellow.

The seller (who is an ex-member of this forum) listed this black chrome coated 7A38-7140 yesterday evening, as a 7-day auction with an opening bid price of 1 Euro and no reserve. Studying his photos, I strongly suspect the watch case and bracelet have been given a blow-over respray. They just look too good to be true for a used example. Especially when compared to the ends of the pushers and crown, in the two side-on view photos, which show considerably more evidence of rubbing wear. There are also a couple of minor dings on the bezel, but strangely no sign of the base metal showing through. The surface finish of the bracelet clasp looks typical of the results that can be achieved using an aerosol can. Notice also how the ends of some of the bracelet link sections don't align properly - indicating lateral wear or stretch in the joining link sections - another tell-tale sign that the bracelet is more worn than its fresh coat of paint belies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232488326007

Here I offer a rare and beautiful Seiko 7A38-7140 Quartz Chronograph from 1985. The 7A28/7A38/7A48 models by Seiko were the world's first analogue quartz chronographs and are still highly regarded as among the best and sturdiest quartz movements ever made.

This watch has been stripped down and serviced with Moebius synthetic oils. Everything works perfectly.

New original case back gasket and battery.

The chrono pushers, which tend to get sticky over the years, have been disassembled, cleaned and lubricated.

The chronograph works properly and resets exactly to zero.

The original bracelet fits wrists up to ca. 20,5 cm.

New mineral crystal without scratches.

Dial, markers and hands are like new.

Case and bracelet in excellent condition without any abrasion or wear of the black chrome plating.

Perfect day/date change and quickset. Day disk in English and Spanish.

Being a 30 year old vintage watch it has not been waterproof tested

Please refer to the photos, they are an integral part of the description. Any questions welcome.

Check out my other auctions. I have a large stock of Seiko vintage parts.

I ship worldwide by registered mail.

As it transpired it all became rather academic, when the seller ended the listing after only a couple of hours, cancelling the sole bid, citing the reason as the item had allegedly been lost or broken.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232488326007

All I can say is that was either very careless or clumsy of him. :P

September 15, 2017 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

An rather unusual listing for six bracelet adjustment links for a black chrome 7A38-7140 popped up on eBay Australia a couple of hours ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282659848143

Links for Seiko 7A38 - 7140 , 6 Links, Very hard to find in such good condition.

The seller's user ID timekeeperau immediately rang a bell. Remember Stuart's post from the bottom of page 1 ? .....

September 19, 2017 at 3:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

ginny at September 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM

My first purchase I have been able to pick up and meet the seller personally, (timekeeperau - as above). Was really happy with my NOS 7A38-7140, but to my surprise he produced another one. With a generous price adjustment for the small scratch on the crystal and the short bracelet, I couldn't help but walk away with both.

So, after nearly 4 years (almost to the day), the missing links from Stuart's short bracelet have finally re-surfaced. :roll:

September 19, 2017 at 6:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

In somewhat belatedly adding this update to this thread, it leaves a rather nasty taste in the mouth. But then having come close once before to dealing with Australian eBay seller timekeeperau, (a.k.a Mick) I can't say I'm entirely surprised, because he's clearly lacking in ethics and scruples.

I'll start by saying that I didn't actually need those 6 adjustment links. My own almost mint 7A38-7140 has the full original complement of links, with a few spare hidden under the clasp. But I thought that they might come handy one day - say if I were to buy a 7A38-714A with a short bracelet. I'd even considered the idea of stripping a couple of them and re-spraying them silver, to use on my stainless 7A38-7140 'beater' - which is chronically short of adjustment links.

Anticipating that there might be other people interested in them besides myself, I decided to have a go at winning the auction, but without going 'all out'. My last minute 'throwaway' bid was actually $45.67. Amazingly, I won the auction for $45.00Au after 5 bids. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282659848143

Strangely, less than half an hour after the auction ended (and I'd paid for the item by PayPal), I received a message from the seller, stating that he was away on holiday for a week.

I replied that I was happy to wait for his return. I didn't think anything untoward at the time, but note, even at that early stage, he was offering me an immediate refund. Last Tuesday, he sent me another message, stating that he'd returned home to find he'd been 'burglarized' ....

Expressing my sympathy, I once again replied that I was prepared to wait until he found them. Note again, his offer of an immediate refund. I waited patiently (in the circumstances), then on Monday, without my having requested one or even having followed up, I received a PayPal refund, which included a message from the seller.

At which point I smelled a rat. A quick search on his eBay feedback, ended listing history and other items currently offered for sale clearly shows that the seller was not only shipping other watch related stuff (some of which, in terms of value, was far more likely to have been 'lost or stolen') while he was supposedly away on holiday - and since he'd returned home to allegedly find he'd been burgled.

So it's pretty clear to me what actually happened. Someone (possibly one of the losing bidders) messaged him soon after the auction ended and made him a higher offer. He sold the links to them off eBay via the 'back door'. So I was effectively 'gazumped'. :(

Like I said, I didn't really need the links, so it's not really any great loss. But I don't like being lied to.  Particularly by someone who's not very clever about it.  Needless to say, once I'd got my refund, I had absolutely no qualms about leaving him the negative feedback he rightfully deserved. 

October 18, 2017 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Regarding that 7A38-7140 which was listed on eBay by Italian seller contintasca in mid-September, but was ended early, allegedly 'lost or broken' - although I've still no idea what it might have sold for, I reckon I know who 'found' it. Spotted this recently uploaded photo (the timing is just about perfect) posted on Instagram / Photogram (whatever) by user 19corto77 (a.k.a. Robert Milotta):

http://photagram.org/media/BZY-ShEFVQH

It's captioned: NEW ARRIVAL ❤️ RARE SEIKO 7A38-7140 great condition

October 18, 2017 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at March 1, 2017 at 6:34 AM

Hardly worth mentioning really. Needless to say, that NOS 7A38-7140 listed by the zero-feedback Italian eBay seller at the end of January went unsold at the opening bid price of 1750 Euros. He re-listed it again at the same price and then once again with the opening bid price reduced to 1450 Euros, with the same predictable outcome. I noticed he'd re-listed again this morning with the opening bid reduced to 'only' 1250 Euros but this time no Buy-it-Now option. I guess he'll get there in the end. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172555649204

Looks like he's finally getting there - at last. :roll:

Earlier today, Italian eBay seller mattifer_7 (who has now actually managed to accumulate a single positive feedback) re-listed his NOS black-chrome coated 7A38-7140 once again. This time with a more realistic opening bid price of 499 Euros, which will almost certainly be low enough to tempt someone. (As opposed to his original Buy-it-Now price of 2450 Euros which was simply a joke). The photos look very similar to his original listing (at the end of January 2017) but are in fact all new. The case-back serial number of the watch is the same: 580442.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172962521020

His description this time reads simply: New Watch from my private collection.

November 3, 2017 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above 7-day Italian eBay auction for a 'NOS' 7A38-7140 ended yesterday afternoon, without any bids being placed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172962521020

I must admit I'm a little surprised it didn't sell. I thought someone might have succumbed and sniped it in the closing seconds, for the opening bid price. :/

November 11, 2017 at 6:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Italian eBay seller mattiferr_7 re-listed his 'NOS' 7A38-7140 again this morning, once again as a 7-day auction, but now with the opening bid price reduced to 399 Euros. Perhaps it'll sell this time around. :/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172981757617

November 15, 2017 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.