Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-7140 SAA051J - Black Chrome coated (NOT a Guigiaro design)

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at November 15, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Italian eBay seller mattiferr_7 re-listed his 'NOS' 7A38-7140 again this morning, once again as a 7-day auction, but now with the opening bid price reduced to 399 Euros. Perhaps it'll sell this time around. :/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172981757617

Finally after upteen re-listings, it appears to have sold. :) The above latest 7-day auction for a 'NOS' 7A38-7140 by Italian eBay seller mattifer_7 ended a few moments ago, with just one bid placed - selling for 399 Euros. I suspect it may have been won by a forum member who had expressed an interest. ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172981757617

November 22, 2017 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This almost NOS condition black chrome coated 7A38-7140 was advertised for sale on SCWF Trading Post on Christmas Eve, with an asking price of $600 ('OBRO' was added later). This particular watch, case-back serial # 580088, has featured in this thread a few times before - being first offered for sale in August 2011 by an Italian eBay seller, then two more eBay re-sellers, before being subsequently purchased by the current vendor, US collector 'Daveswordfish'.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/8-seiko-citizen-trading-post/303122.html

FS: 7A38-7140 PVD, like NOS, $600 OBRO

December 26, 2017 at 6:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-7140 in decent used condition, if a little grubby, with minimal wear to the black chrome plating visible, was listed earlier this evening by an Italian eBay seller, with a Buy-it-Now price of 300 Euros (or the option to make an offer). Cosmetically, it's only let down by what might be some rubbing wear on the upper part of the bezel lip (which may just be a reflection) and a nasty tool-inflicted scratch on the case-back. Given the popularity of this model, I don't expect it'll hang around very long, despite being sold with a flat battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183069381701

SEIKO 7A38-7140 RARO VERO AFFARE - WATER RESISTANT - JAPAN

La pila è da cambiare.

Orologio come da foto. Possibilità di inviare altre foto su richiesta.

Spedizione con raccomandata tracciabile.

February 11, 2018 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above Italian eBay listing for a 7A38-7140 in decent used condition ended yesterday afternoon, selling quickly as I'd expected - but not for the full 300 Euros Buy-it-Now price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183069381701

As revealed by WatchCount.com's Look-up tool, it sold for a best offer of 230 Euros:

As confirmed by the eBay Offer / Purchase History:

February 13, 2018 at 6:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This used black chrome 7A38-7140 was listed this morning by a German eBay seller, with a Buy-it-Now price of 499 Euros (or the option to make an offer). It's been tastefully and very cleverly photographed with a view to making a quick profit. It's another case of Déjà Vu. In fact, it's the very same 7A38-7140, documented in my two previous posts: case-back serial number 580488, which sold in February for 230 Euros. The seller's ID wegaworld (604) matches up with that of the buyer in the previous listing's purchase history. Note how the seller has deliberately soft focussed his shot of the case-back to hide that deep scratch, which was clearly visible in the previous Italian seller's photo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142758584873

Ich verkaufe hier aus meiner privaten SEIKO VINTAGE Sammlung diese wunderschöne und extrem seltene 7A38-7140 Sports 100 Quartz Chronograph von August 1985 im original Zustand ohne Aftermarket Teile!

Die Uhr läuft selbstverständlich einwandfrei und hat eine neue Batterie bekommen. Sehr guter gebrauchter Zustand, siehe Bilder.

Da es sich um eine fast 33 Jahre alte Uhr handelt und ich eine Privatperson bin, kann ich natürlich keine Rücknahme oder Garantie anbieten. Die Uhr kommt ohne Papiere und Box. Verkauft wird hier nur die Armbanduhr, der auf dem letzten Bild zu sehende Seiko Wecker ist nicht im Angebot enthalten und dient nur der Dekoration.

--- Beachten Sie auch bitte meine anderen Angebote, ich werde noch weitere interessante Seiko´s zum Verkauf anbieten ---

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

All original (NO Aftermarket-Parts!) very rare vintage (08/1985) SEIKO 7A38-7140 Sports 100 Quartz Chronograph "Italy Motorsport Chrono" in perfect working order an all original condition from my private Collcection. For sale is only the wristwatch, the Seiko alarm clock form the last picture is not for sale!

******* Please fell free to look at my other auctions, I sell more Vintage Seiko´s from my collection! **********

Shipping and handling in Germany via DHL is included, EU is € 24,- DHL international shipping, Rest of the world is € 50,- or please ask before bidding.

April 15, 2018 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Over the course of last week, the would-be profiteering German re-seller of that 7A38-7140 made a number of revisions to his listing, including 5 reductions to the 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price. Presumably, in response to some of the lower offers he received. :P

The listing ended yesterday evening, with the Buy-it-Now reduced to 350 Euros:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142758584873

WatchCount.com's Look-up tool reveals it actually sold for an offer of 320 Euros:

As confirmed by the eBay Purchase History:

Note the higher than average number of declined / expired counter-offers. 

April 23, 2018 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I'm not quite sure why it's only just appeared in my eBay search results, but the German eBay seller re-listed that 7A38-7140 over a week ago. The reason is stated in his amendments to the description. The photos and remainder of the description appear to be the same as before. Erm, hang on a minute ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142793683440

Da der 1. Käufer leider ein Spaßbieter war, stelle ich die Uhr noch mal zum Verkauf ein:

Because of a silly fake buyer, i´m selling again this very very rare Italian Motorsport Chronograph!

I don't know about a 'silly fake buyer', but this indecisive would-be profiteering re-seller needs to make his mind up ! He's already made more revisions to this listing over the past 10 days than the previous one ! :roll:

May 23, 2018 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jensenbutton

Hi Paul, I do not understand why you make my watch so bad? You do not know me or the watch! I had to re-list it again at eBay, as the buyer still did not pay after 4 weeks, and just wrote insulting mails! I did not consciously take a wrong shot of the scratch you mentioned on the back so you can not see it! I did not notice that. Since I have nothing to hide, today I have added 2 new pictures to make you happy. ;) Once from the clean movement inside and again the back cover from a different perspective. I want to sell the watch because I need money for other projects / watches. So what's wrong with having to sell something more expensive than you've bought? This is a market economy and you will prefer Paul, certainly not different, right? ;) I have indeed the possibility of a price suggestion installed, so everyone can make me a reasonable offer. Cheers, Jens.

May 24, 2018 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I didn't set out to deliberately derail your re-listing, Jens. I was merely stating the facts as I saw them. However, thanks to your own constant screwing around with the listing, I think you probably managed to succeed all by yourself. I couldn't help noticing you couldn't resist the opportunity to shuffle the order of your photos around, one more time, after you'd uploaded those extra two. Not sure what you hoped to achieve by that. :roll: Academic now anyway, as you've pulled the listing ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142793683440

That is unless you wish to divulge any more. ;)

May 28, 2018 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-7140 was listed earlier this morning by a German eBay seller, with a 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of 450 Euros, or the option to make an offer. Personally I'd be wary of this one - for reasons stated in a previous post. It may not be quite all it seems. This same 7A38-7140, case-back serial # 560452 was listed by Italian / German eBay seller contintasca in September last year. See my post on the previous page, dated September 15, 2017, which I won't quote here, simply because it is so long. I wrote then, that I strongly suspected the case and bracelet had been given a 'blow over' respray. If you check this seller's third photo, it's easy to spot the wear to the black chrome coating of the crown and pusher, which contrasts with the almost 'too perfect' matt black finish of the rest of the watch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223016450948

Rare Vintage Seiko Watch 7A38-7140 Quartz Sports 100 Chronograph 1985 Giugiaro Design

Vintage Japan Watch JDM Perfect Original Condition - MINT

Racing yellow / black

All Orginal no Aftermarket Parts

Perfect working Perfect condition. Looks like unworn

No scratches on PVD bracelet or glass

Shipping: Germany for free ...EU - 23 Euro - Worldwide - 48 Euro

For the sake of age, no guarantee of waterproofness,

Since I am a private seller I do not guarantee or warranty! Return not possible.

More vintage watches follow!

June 13, 2018 at 5:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above possibly suspect 7A38-7140 listed by the German eBay re-seller sold yesterday evening, but not for his slightly reduced Buy-it-Now price of 435 Euros.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223020680150

WatchCount.com's look-up tool reveals it sold for an offer of 385 Euros.

June 18, 2018 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner
I had a feeling that might not be the last we'd seen of that suspicious re-sprayed 7A38-7140. :roll: It re-appeared in my saved search notifivations this morning, listed by a would-be profiteering UK eBay re-seller ancutza_seven2009*, with an absolutely ludicrous 'pigs-might-fly' Buy-it-Now asking price of  £850 !! 

Once again, in this seller's photos, note the wear to the black chrome plating of the crown and pushers. Similarly, the amount of apparent stretch and sideways slap between the bracelet links, yet oddly absolutely no loss of plating to the edges of the bracelet or clasp, or even signs of them becoming shiny. :/

Really Rare, unboxed Vintage Seiko Watch 7A38-7140 Quartz Sports 100 Chronograph 1985 Giugiaro Design.

Perfect working Perfect condition. Looks amazing and you will not find another one in this condition. You will receive the watch, nothing else. No box or paperwork.

No scratches on PVD bracelet or glass just really really minor signs of use on the buttons.

Any questions you will like to ask? Please ask, prior to bidding and not after the listing ended.

I am normally posting within 3 days after clear payment. My aim is to post it in the first day but because of my working schedule it can take up to 3 days.

Be confident in the knowledge that you are bidding on a genuine item from a 100% honest seller who endeavours always to give a extremely accurate appraisal of all the items advertised.

No returns please as the items that I am selling are described exactly as they are and photographed so you can see the condition of them and to know exactly what you are paying for.

I am never selling something that is not genuine or defective.

Please don't buy if you think you can't accept my terms and conditions.

No time wasters please or silly offers as I am a genuine eBay buyer and seller.

Immediate payment is required. If you not pay within the next 12 hours I reserve the right to cancel the payment and realist the item.

If you have less than 10 feedbacks or your eBay feedback rating is less than 98% please contact me before buying otherwise I will cancel the purchase.

P.S - see all my items that I have for sale, probably you will find the things you've been looking for.

*I thought that eBay user ID ancutza_seven2009 rang a bell. This is the same tattooed moron who has been relisting a two-tone 7A38-7190 (claiming it's 'similar to a James Bond View to a Kill') ad nauseam for two months or so, with an equally risible Buy-it-Now price of £350. :roll: Clearly a chancer and first degree utter

July 3, 2018 at 2:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Checking my eBay watching page, I noticed that suspect resprayed 7A38-7140, listed by greedy profiteering UK eBay re-seller ancutza_seven2009 had been ended yesterday evening – as item no longer available. Presumably sold off eBay for a considerably lower figure. Friday 13th – unlucky for someone perhaps ? :/ I only hope they bought it with their eyes open, or had read this thread beforehand. Otherwise it’s probably not the last we’ve seen of it. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263779265829

July 14, 2018 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-7140, in average worn condition, was listed at lunchtime today, by an Italian eBay seller, with a typically over-optimistic 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of 380 Euros. Apart from the usual wear to the black chrome coating, this example really would have benefitted by having a replacement crystal fitted, before it was photographed and listed. Gotta laugh at that mega-long 'Disclaimer' too. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263838431869

Orologio Vintage Seiko Watch 7A38-7140 Quartz Sports 100 Chronograph perfettamente funzionante.

Assieme all'orologio fornisco la scatola bianca Seiko generica.

L'orologio presenta piu o meno marcati segni di usura, il nero del bracciale in alcuni punti è andato via, il vetrino è da sostiture.

le foto sono parte integrante della descrizione e mostrano l'esatto stato di conservazione dell'oggetto in vendita

Gentile acquirente, benvenuto, perfavore prima dell'acquisto le chiedo di leggere quanto riportato sotto

Disclaimer: onde evitare incomprensioni vorrei precisare quanto segue sia per gli utenti che acquistano da me sia per ebay, io non sono orologiaio e quindi non smonto gli orologi, quando dico che l'orologio funziona ma non è revisionato significa che è marciante ma appunto non ha fatto revisione, se ci sono piccole imperfezioni su componenti non visibili a occhio ma che possono venire fuori solo durante la revisione (cosa poi assolutamente normale perchè include eventuali sostituzioni) io non ho modo di vederli e quindi ovviamente di descriverli mi dissocio pertanto da qualunque difformita dell'oggetto che abbia tale caratteristica.

FORMULA DI ESCLUSIONE DELLA GARANZIA E ALTRO: La Legislazione Vigente Nell'unione Europea Prevede Che Anche I Privati Siano Tenuti A Dare Garanzia Sugli Oggetti Venduti, A Meno Che Tale Garanzia Non Sia Esplicitamente Esclusa Al Momento Della Vendita. In Conseguenza Di Ciò, L'articolo Oggetto Di Questa Asta È Venduto Cosi' Com'e' Con Esclusione Esplicita Di Qualsiasi Forma Di

Garanzia Per Cui Chi Dovesse Fare Offerte Per L'oggetto Proposto Con La Sua Offerta Accetta,Incondizionatamente L'esclusione Di Qualsiasi Garanzia Per L'oggetto Stesso Salvo La Garanzia Implicita Della Veridicità Della Descrizione E Delle Fotografie. La Restituizione Dell'oggetto Sarà Concordata Tra Le Parti Solo In Caso Di Palese E Dimostrata Non Conformità Con La Descrizione e Fotografie Contenute Nell'inserzione Del'oggetto Che L'acquirente Riceverà.

Come venditore non mi assumo nessuna responsabilità inerente al vettore di trasporto, non rispondo e non posso rispondere per problemi o fallimenti di consegna del vettore trasporto pertanto non mi accollero nessun costo aggiuntivo derivante da quest'ultimo, infine ma non meno importante la maggior parte degli oggetti sono usati non tutti hanno profumo delicato ed alcuni possono arrivare da fumatori o da sgomberi, è mia cura descrivere questo tipo di "difetti" ma non accetto restituzioni per odori che a detta dell'acquirente siano diversi dalla "rosa selvatica". Chi conferma l'acquisto conferma di avere letto ed avere preso visione dei punti trattati.

July 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The Italian eBay seller's 7A38-7140 sold late yesterday evening, but not for the full 380 Euros Buy-it-Now asking price ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263838431869

WatchCount.com's look-up tool reveals it sold for an offer of 300 Euros:

July 29, 2018 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at July 14, 2018 at 3:55 AM

Checking my eBay watching page, I noticed that suspect resprayed 7A38-7140, listed by greedy profiteering UK eBay re-seller ancutza_seven2009 had been ended yesterday evening – as item no longer available. Presumably sold off eBay for a considerably lower figure. Friday 13th – unlucky for someone perhaps ? :/ I only hope they bought it with their eyes open, or had read this thread beforehand. Otherwise it’s probably not the last we’ve seen of it. :roll:

I should have known better. 
I'd forgotten that greedy profiteering UK eBay re-seller ancutza_seven2009 was another of these devious eBay sellers who like to play games. Like 'Now you see it; now you don't'. It's back on eBay, re-listed in the early hours of this morning. :roll: Same absolutely ludicrous 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of £850.

August 6, 2018 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

A familiar looking NOS 7A38-7140, complete with box, manuals and tag appeared on eBay in the early hours of this morning, listed by profiteering Japanese dealer mcgyverandpetes2000, with a 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $999. It may be 'NOS' condition, but it's certainly not 'one owner' as the seller falsely claims, having been around the block a good few times. This, I'm afraid to say, is yet another case of Déjà Vu. I recognised the watch almost immediately, from the non-original white Seiko presentation box and even remembered the case-back serial number 550462. How sad is that ? :roll:

This particular 7A38-7140 has featured in this thread a number of times before. It once belonged to erstwhile fanatical Australian 7Axx collector Stuart Lennard (it was his third). The story begins at the bottom of page 1 of this thread, when Stuart bought it off eBay Italy for 300 Euros at the end of January 2014. He subsequently sold it in October 2014, after his health scare, when he was rapidly disbanding his collection, for $650. It then re-appeared 10 days later on Yahoo Japan, offered by another would be profiteering Japanese re-seller (eBay ID lonto4271_6h4dgvu / Yahoo Japan ID l_h_m_m) for 128,000 Yen (equivalent to $1200) ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202396751697

RARE 1988 GIUGIARO DESIGN SEIKO 7A38-7140

VERY RARE MODEL! NEVER USED ONE ORIGINAL OWNER

ORIGINAL OWNER BOUGHT THE WATCH IN 1988 HAD THE STRAP ADJUSTED TO WRIST SIZE AND THEN DECIDED TO KEEP THE WATCH AS PART OF A COLLECTION!!

COMES WITH ORIGINAL BOXES AND MANUALS / GUARANTEE BOOKLET AND ORIGINAL SEIKO MODEL TAG!!!

WATCH CASE GLASS AND STRAP ARE IN SUPERB UNUSED CONDITION!

PLEASE CHECK PHOTOS

NO VISIBLE WEAR ON THE STRAP CASE GLASS OR BUTTONS!!

A COUPLE OF MARKS ON THE WATCH BACK COVER WHEN THE BATTERY HAS BEEN REPLACED OVER THE YEARS!!!

GREAT COLLECTORS PIECE WATCH IS FUNCTIONING FINE!!!

HARD TO FIND FULLY ORIGINAL FROM 1988

WITH BOXES AND MANUAL AND TAG!!

A CLASSIC GIUGIARO DESIGNED SEIKO!

PRE OWNED AND NOS LISTING CLARIFICATION

SOME WATCH MANUFACTURERS DO NOT ALLOW NOS WATCHES TO BE LISTED AS "NEW" OR "NEW WITH TAGS" ON EBAY WHEN THESE WATCHES ARE BEING SOLD TO SOME AREAS LIKE EEC COUNTRIES!

FOR THAT REASON SOME OF OUR WATCHES ARE LISTED AS "PRE OWNED" BUT IN THE DESCRIPTION WILL STATE NOS OR AS NEW.

PLEASE REFER TO THE DESCRIPTION AND PHOTOS REGARDING OUR LISTINGS.

IF YOU HAVE AN QUESTIONS ABOUT AN ITEMS CONDITION PLEASE CONTACT US!

August 9, 2018 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Late last night, the Japanese eBay seller macgyverandpetes2000 made a number of revisions to the title and description of the above 7A38-7140. It is with some satisfaction that I'm able to report that the false claims of the watch being 'one owner' and erronious references to Giugiaro* have been removed. The seller also took the opportunity to correct the date from 1988 to 1985 (as indicated by the 55xxxx case-back serial number). The revised description reads as follows:

RARE 1985 SEIKO 7A38-7140

VERY RARE MODEL!

Purchaser in 1985 HAD THE STRAP ADJUSTED TO WRIST SIZE AND THEN DECIDED TO KEEP THE WATCH AS PART OF A COLLECTION!!

COMES WITH ORIGINAL BOXES AND MANUALS / GUARANTEE BOOKLET AND ORIGINAL SEIKO MODEL TAG!!!

WATCH CASE GLASS AND STRAP ARE IN SUPERB UNUSED CONDITION!

PLEASE CHECK PHOTOS

NO VISIBLE WEAR ON THE STRAP CASE GLASS OR BUTTONS!!

A COUPLE OF MARKS ON THE WATCH BACK COVER WHEN THE BATTERY HAS BEEN REPLACED OVER THE YEARS!!!

GREAT COLLECTORS PIECE WATCH IS FUNCTIONING FINE!!!

HARD TO FIND FULLY ORIGINAL FROM 1985

WITH BOXES AND MANUAL AND TAG!!

A CLASSIC DESIGN SEIKO!

Surprising what a short sharp missive or two can achieve. 

*There is also still another longer reference to Giugiaro right at the bottom of the listing (which I hadn't bothered copying before), which I suspect was a carry over from one of their many over-priced eBay listings for Seiko Spirit Giugiaro 7T12 reissues. But you've got to scroll a long way down to see it.

August 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at July 14, 2018 at 3:55 AM

At the risk of repeating myself ....

One can only assume that the 13th holds some special significance for devious would-be profiteering UK eBay seller ancutza_seven2009. Two hours earlier this morning, he once again ended the re-listing for the suspect re-sprayed 7A38-7140 as allegedly 'item no longer available'. :roll: Rest assured - it will return. ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263860600871

Edit: As predicted, back on eBay again a few hours later, re-listed once again. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263875715086

August 13, 2018 at 3:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I nearly missed posting a sales result - well I'm only a day or so late. :P My excuse is: that given the Japanese seller's 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now asking price of $999, I didn't expect it to sell quite so quickly. It slipped unnoticed over onto page 5 of my eBay watching page early yesterday morning - and I didn't spot that it was flagged as 'ENDED' until this afternoon. Seems Japanese seller macgyverandpetes2000 is rather more flexible in his pricing than many eBay watch dealers I can think of.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202396751697

WatchCount.com's Look-up tool reveals he let it go against a sole offer of $675, somewhat less than his $999 Buy-it-Now price - and incidentally only $25 more than a previous owner, Stuart Lennard, had sold it for in October 2014.

August 15, 2018 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.