Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-7030 SJS018 All-Titanium (JDM only)

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Something different from yet another eBay or YJ listing to start the new page. :)

Ditoy Aguila is a young Filipino watch collector, with eclectic tastes and evidently deep pockets. He posts on watch forums as ditoy_eagle. Indeed, he joined this forum back last November, but doesn't appear to have posted anything yet. His member profile 'about me' merely states: Seiko fanatic from Manila. His home forum is naturally PhilippineWatchClub.org. He also sometimes posts on SCWF.

Yesterday he started a new thread there: My growing 7A28/38/48 family

He's rapidly building a very impressive collection, including a good number of the rarer and more desirable 7Axx models. How about three 7A38-7030's ? :o

August 4, 2018 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ditoy_eagle

Hi there Paul! I love your site, it’s a wealth of information for these wonderful gems! Keep up the good work to keep inspiring Seiko collectors :)

August 18, 2018 at 8:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This titanium 7A38-7030, in decent but refurbished condition, was listed on Yahoo Japan yesterday as a 7-day auction, with an opening bid price of 5000 Yen. The Japanese seller motov10 is of course Yujiro Kaneko, the same person who listed what seems like dozens of NOS p/n YA22A bracelets on both eBay (as triton1967) and YJ, starting in May 2016. No surprise, this watch is fitted with a 'new' bracelet.

I'm not quite sure I completely understand what has been done to this watch. The way the description translates, it reads like the watch case has been professionally refinished (re-sprayed ?). One other unknown factor is whether (as I suspect) there is a hidden reserve price set. In 'Gaijin' view mode, there's nothing to indicate that, but recent past experience leads me to expect that.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g310121388

Google translates the Japanese seller's description as follows:

■ SEIKO 7A38-7030 Speedmaster. OH, Brand new unused is attached to the main body of finished exterior finish.

■ High-end models of domestic sales of  7A28, 7A38 that were sold in the past, titanium cases and brushes are handed down.

■ It is a fully operational item that OH was done at Seitime in the watch repair shop at Nishiogi in September. I will put up a repair detail.

■ After OH, I am finished by a professional dealer for the case, and they are assembled again by Three Time. Since it is unused after assembly, it is not dirty at all.

■ Finishing of the case surface is done, but there are some small scratches accompanying previous use.

■ Since the case was finished after OH, the 6 month warranty of the repair shop is not applied, but there is no problem with the movement movement, the crown, and the button operation at all. We have passed the life waterproof test also.

■ The warranty of the repair shop can not be attached due to the reasons above, but we will guarantee operation for at least 1 month after delivery of goods.

■ There is one scratch on the glass surface that you can see by touching the 2 o'clock position. There were other shallow fine scratches when looking at the magnifying glass.

■ Although the light of the needle and index is not glowing, the dial is in a beautiful state.

■ The dial color "CHRONOGRAPH" and the red color of the day are good. English and Japanese notation can be selected for the day of the week.

■ Arm around is about 19.5 cm. Although it is not in the image, we will also put the link of the bracelet used. Please use it for size adjustment.

■ If you would like, we will also attach a copy of the inspection and adjustment manual of SEIKO 7A28, 7A38,.

- I will send it out by the Yu-Pack edition version 60 size.

Those who can utilize ■ Thank you very much.

November 24, 2018 at 5:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above 7-day Yahoo Japan auction for a titanium 7A38-7030 ended a few moments ago, selling for a hefty ¥176,500 Yen after 28 bids. That's equivalent to approx. $1555 USD / £1218 GBP. The auction finishing time was automatically extended by a total of 20 minutes, due to late placed bids. As I've written a good few times before, going by the high 5-digit feedback number of the encrypted winning bidder ID, it's probably safe to assume that it was purchased by an international buyer, using one of the proxy bidding services.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g310121388

November 30, 2018 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

After nearly 2½ years, it looks like Kaneko-San is finally coming to the end of his once seemingly never-ending stash of YA22A bracelets. He listed the first of them on eBay, using the ID  triton1967, back in May 2016. Later he started selling them on Yahoo Japan using the ID motov10. A couple of days ago, he listed this used partial bracelet, which is missing all bar 2 of the removable adjustment links, as a 5-day auction, with an opening bid price of 2000 Yen.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o285326850

■ SEIKO 7A38-7030 Speedmaster Titanium made bracelet, YA22A used parts.

■ It is a half-end, but clasp can be used without problems.

I will send it by click post.

Those who can utilize ■ Thank you very much.

December 13, 2018 at 5:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The 5-day Yahoo Japan auction for that partial / used YA22A bracelet ended a few moments ago, For most of the week, it had sat with just a single bid placed, at the opening bid price of 2,000 Yen. It finally sold for a hefty ¥9,260 Yen after 26 bids. That's equivalent to approx $81.70 USD / £64.90 GBP. The auction finishing time was automatically extended by a total of 30 minutes, due to late placed bids. As I've written a good number of times before, judging by the high 5-digit feedback number of the encrypted winning bidder ID, it was likely won by an international buyer, using one of the proxy bidding services

Crazy price to pay for a partial bracelet, really, when you think the last of Kaneko-San's complete NOS YA22A bracelets sold for the opening bid price of 7,000 Yen. He almost couldn't give them away. :roll:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o285326850

December 16, 2018 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yesterday afternoon, Filipino collecor ditoy_eagle advertised a titanium 7A38-7030 for sale on SCWF's Trading Post, with a cool $1000 non-negatiable asking price. I'm only guessing, but going by the lightly faded colour of the CHRONOGRAPH dial script, it may be the one on the right of the trio, in his photo at the top of this page.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/8-seiko-citizen-trading-post/324953.html

FS: JDM SJS018 7A38-7030 Titanium chronograph, December 1983

January 19, 2019 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Ditoy_eagle updated his FS advert a couple of days later (25th January) as SOLD.

In the early hours of yesterday morning, Australian eBay seller aussiewatches listed what appears to be the same 7A38-7030, with a 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of $3999.95 Au. (equivalent to $2850 USD). The single photo he's uploaded has evidently been 'borrowed' from Ditoy's SCWF FS advert (2nd image down).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123660144773

The description (rather shorter than some of his recent diatribes) reads simply:

Seiko 7A38-7030

At this stage, I think it's prudent to refrain from further comment or speculation. 

February 24, 2019 at 3:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Hmm. Interesting.  I sent a PM to Ditoy, asking him to confirm whether he'd sold his 7A38-7030 to someone in Australia, i.e. aussiewatches . He replied this afternoon, saying he'd sold it (via SCTP) to an SCWF member from Sweden. 

February 24, 2019 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

No great surprise (to me), but yesterday evening, the clearly deranged Australian eBay seller aussiewatches withdrew his listing for that 7A38-7030, in his typical manner - as item no longer available. Not that it ever was available. He also pulled the other 3 BOGUS listings for 7Axx's which he'd fraudulently created over the last couple of days, using borrowed stolen images. At least one of them gave me a good laugh (at his sheer incompetence).  Check the listing title 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123660144773

February 25, 2019 at 2:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chronos

First, maybe second post to the forum. It's been so long since I joined I can't recall.

My 7030 is cycling through each day, alternating between english then japanese. For instance, if I set the watch correctly on Monday the 11th, the next day will be the Japanese monday the 12th. It once was able to stay on english and cycle correctly passing through the japanese and after letting it sit for a long time, it no longer does.

Is there a setting I am missing? Does it need a repair? 

Thanks in advance.

Nic

March 13, 2019 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You say that you left it sitting for a long time, Nic. Then I assume you had to reset the day / date ? In doing so, it's possible that you may have inadvertently damaged the day / date changeover wheel. This is the only plastic wheel in the 7A38's gear train and something of an Achilles Heel. Not only can they become brittle with age, but you always need to be very careful what time the watch is showing when you change the day / date. See this cautionary thread:

Sticky: How to set the Day / Date on a Seiko 7A38 - and when NOT to do it

So Yes, it probably does potentially need a repair. Your problem will be in finding a replacement day / date changeover wheel. As you can see from my last post in that thread, it's now obsolete and NLA. :(

March 14, 2019 at 4:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chronos

Thanks so much for the quick response. I most likely damaged / broke the changeover wheel, as I don't recall heeding any specific warnings when I replaced the battery. Luckily I do have the instructions! I'll keep enjoying the watch while I search for a changeover wheel. Thanks again!

March 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This JDM 7A38-7030 in average worn condition was listed on Yahoo Japan earlier today as a 4-day auction, with an opening bid price of 40,000 Yen. Due to an unspecified chrongraph fault, the seller has described it as 'Animal Junk' ! :lol:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u283689825

Thank you for taking a look m (__) m

Details: 7A38-7030. Speedmaster. Made of titanium. Since it is a chrono failure, it is an animal junk.

Condition: There are scratches and dirt on the watch body and bracelet. The glass is beautiful.

Machine: Quartz. Battery has been replaced. The time, date, and day of the week are in sync, but the chrono is defective. Animal junk.

Size: Watch part width about 40 mm (excluding crown). Up to about 19 cm around the arm.

Accessories: All things in the image.

● It may be delayed for reasons such as a business trip. In that case, please check it as it is stated in the self-introduction column.

June 12, 2019 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The above 4-day Yahoo Japan auction for a titanium 7A38-7030, with an unknown chronograph fault, described in somewhat less than glowing terms by its seller as 'Animal Junk', ended earlier this afternoon, selling for ¥56,000 Yen after 5 bids - that's equivalent to approx. $515.69 USD / £410.25 GBP.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u283689825

June 16, 2019 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This titanium JDM 7A38-7030 was listed on Yahoo Japan earlier today, as a 3-day auction, with a somewhat over-optimistic opening bid price of 130,000 Yen.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c759419658

Thank you very much for taking a look.

Please read the explanatory note below and self-introduction.

【Description of item】

Seiko Men's Watch

Size Side about 3.9cm (excluding crown) around the arm about 19cm

Movement Quartz in operation

Band genuine

Accessories None

Because it is used, it is a product with scratches and dirt that accompany use.

Please refrain from bidding if you are nervous as it is used.

Please confirm the condition such as scratches and dirt in the photo.

【Notes】

◆ I am very sorry, but please refrain from the tender of the new one.

Even if you make a bid or a successful bid, it will be cancelled.

Also, please understand that those who have multiple bad evaluations may also cancel out.

◆ Although the exhibit shoots the real thing,

The color may differ slightly depending on the environment you are viewing.

◆ The boxes and bags used for shipping may be reused.

◆ The product may have oversighted damage for keeping at home.

Thank you for your understanding on the tender after understanding.

◆ Please understand that we can not take responsibility for any trouble after shipping the product.

◆ I need your help by a no claim and a no return.

July 15, 2019 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.