Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7Txx General Discussion Area > Rare and unusual 7T32-xxxx variants spotted

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I wouldn't really class this Orient 7T32 as rare - unusual maybe. :/ It's certainly the first example I've seen - though knowing, from other past sightings, that Orient Watch Co. had re-used many of their J39 (7A38) case designs in their earlier HFA's, it comes as no great surprise. I spotted this listing by an Italian eBay seller at the weekend (needless to say, while searching for Orient J39's) - and had to stop and do a double-take.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112195425325

Description reads simply: Orilogio da polso Orient originale per pezzi di ricambio. Come da foto.

It is of course the 7T32 equivalent of the Orient J39908-70 - one of the most commonly found variants of the J39.

In fact, I have two in that same dial colour variant. :roll:

Unfortunately the seller has only uploaded the one head-on photo, and none of the case-back. Nor does he bother to mention the HFAxxx model number. What's most incredulous about the listing is his asking price of 193 Euros. :o As a fairly undesirable 7T32, not only wouldn't the watch be worth anything like that, even if it was in half decent condition (which his certainly isn't) but this is 'for spares or repairs' !! Offer of 19.30 Euros anybody ? :P

November 7, 2016 at 3:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

midland

I recently purchased this Seiko 7T32-7H10 on ebay.

But if you look at the seconds hand, you see a different (shorter) hand than the ones that i find on google

Anyone else seen this variant before?

This is the one I bought 

This is the 7T32-7H10 I find on google, with the slightly larger hand for the seconds

November 7, 2016 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I can't say that I've ever seen this anomoly on a 7T32-7H10 before, but it's possible someone has replaced that hand with an incorrect part at some point. The reason I say that, is if you check the parts list for the 7T32-7H10 on Seiko's database, it calls up the same hand, part number 3AA035F2AAE for both the 9 o'clock (constant seconds) and 12 o'clock position sub-dials.

November 8, 2016 at 2:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

midland

Seiko7A38 at November 8, 2016 at 2:51 AM

I can't say that I've ever seen this anomoly on a 7T32-7H10 before, but it's possible someone has replaced that hand with an incorrect part at some point. The reason I say that, is if you check the parts list for the 7T32-7H10 on Seiko's database, it calls up the same hand, part number 3AA035F2AAE for both the 9 o'clock (constant seconds) and 12 o'clock position sub-dials.

Yes I see, you're probably right, but why? :)

And what does that mean for the value?

November 8, 2016 at 4:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

It's possible that your watch has been fitted with a replacement movement at some point. To do that you need to pull the hands and remove the dial and refit them to the new movement. Sub-dial (and sweep second) hands are quite delicate and sometimes you can fumble / damage them in the process. If this was the case, perhaps whoever did the work couldn't find the correct replacement hand - or just used something that he had lying around in his 'bits box'.

Having one incorrect hand fitted could reduce the value when you come to sell it. Here's a fairly recent instance of a watch that had been messed about with, which was fitted with 2 incorrect sub-dial hands that I remember all too well ....

See the last few posts on the 2nd page of this thread (from April 2016). The watch in question was a Fred Force 10 7A38 - a very rare and quite valuable model, which I don't have in my collection. I wanted that one quite badly. Though because it had so obviously been messed about with (which the seller denied), I offered him less than I might have done had it been all original - and lost it. 

PS - Please don't use the Quote & Reply function unnecessarily (when replying to a post immediately above).

Instead please use the + Post Reply buttons at the top and bottom of the page. Thanks ! ;)

November 8, 2016 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I was browsing Yahoo Japan auctions earlier today, searching on 'Orient Chronograph' (but in Japanese as オリエント クロノグラフ ), when I spotted a new listing, for what was obviously a 7T32 (or should I correctly say 'HFA'). Quite attractive and unusual in that the lumed hour batons were on the outer dial ring, rather than the dial itself - and a brand I wasn't familiar with. A quick google search reveals that MA-JI MASATOMO (not MASAMOTO as incorrectly shown twice in the listing) is a Japanese fashion brand - men's clothing and eyewear. This example appears to be new with tags (but without box) - the original sticker price was 38,000 Yen.

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d200098333

Google translates the Japanese seller's description as follows:

Thank you for looking. MA-JI MASAMOTO is (Orient OEM) quartz chronograph. It is well-built and OEM at 10 ATM water resistant stainless Solid belt of the Orient. Belt also aligned Furukoma. Price ¥ 38000 + is a tax. Since there is no original box we will send you put in another box. I need your help by a no claim no return, to get to the second-hand goods. Shipping is send by Yamato Transport cash on delivery. In addition, shipping also can be paid in the letter pack ¥ 510 is available to transfer money to the simple settlement and JNB.

But perhaps they're not that rare (in Japan). :/

A search on ended auctions quickly bought up another example, which had sold only a couple of days ago for 8,250 Yen.

This one appeared to be lightly used, but came with the original box.

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e203030979

MA-JI MASATOMO マージマサトモ 腕時計 保証書アリ 美品

A translation of the seller's description from that listing reads as follows:

Purchase date 2002 

Which was received from the company, there is a company name engraved on the back. 

Body, box, manual (English), there is a warranty card (expired). 

Because not familiar with the watch, but do not know well,

I think that is also equipped with calendar display and barometer. 

Which was not used almost only a few days,

I think the move by reversing the battery. 

Because it was put in a box, I look I think that clean. 

Hakodate BOONmini, I will send it out in Yafuneko, Yu-pack 60 size, and the like.

My Google search also bought up this small image of a magazine advert, showing two dial colour variants.

(The website linked below shows three dial colours: silvery-white; dark grey, per the advert and also black).

The top line of small print at bottom right reads: Orient Watch Co. Ltd. Price 38,000 Yen.

This small wrist shot photo comes from a Japanese jeweller's website where they're still apparently selling them in 2016 !! :o

November 29, 2016 at 8:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Alan

I was presented with this 7T32-7C70 by a colleague at work yesterday. It was a surprise gift to say thank you for some work I did restoring a vintage Tag quartz watch for him.

I have a few 7T32's and this one ticks quite a few of my boxes. Its a commemorative issue for the 1998 Winter Olympics held in Nagano, Japan.

and it came with the inner and outer box and manual.  Just about NOS condition (though it has been worn).

November 29, 2016 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I need to correct an assumption I'd made (based on many photos seen and the few such watches I own) about Orient 7T32's - which I've certainly posted about in this thread a good few times, as indeed I'd repeated in my post at the top of this page.

That is that the (7T32) equivalent Orient model number always begins in HFA. Seems it doesn't always. :roll:

I'd already noticed several inconsistencies in Orient Watch Co.'s model numbering scheme for their J38's and J39's (7A48 and 7A38 equivalents), but at least (bar one notable exception) they all begin in J38 or J39.

I was running a Wordwide eBay search on 'Orient chronograph' this morning (looking for J39's) when I came across this listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252695643831

Ignoring the incompetent seller's completely erroneous description (and the missing pusher button), from the two-crown + three pusher configuration and the sub-dial layout, this is clearly a re-branded 7T32. But it's case-back model number is TAON-C00, rather than something beginning HFA.

The difference with this particular Orient 7T32 is that it's dial carries the alternative Orient logo, with Lions Rampant crest ........ which is normally found on Orient mechanical watches.

As can be seen in the eBay seller's photos, it's also stamped on the bracelet clasp and on the case-back.

It transpires it's not unique by any means. A quick google search revealed a couple more Orient 7T32's with TA model numbers:

the TAAB-C00 (sort of a 'Monaco' case design, similar to the Seiko 7T32-5Axx) and the all-Titanium TA0G-C00 and TA0L-C00 'Divers'.

December 27, 2016 at 8:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Now I've discovered my earlier oversight, I don't intend to start posting links every Orient TAO '7T32' that I come across.

Maybe they're not quite as common as their HFA siblings, but I suspect they're not that rare either (at least not in Japan). 

I spotted another earlier today, while searching Yahoo Japan auctions on 'Orient Chronograph' (but in Japanese). 8)

It's a rather attractive red dialed model I hadn't seen before, currently listed by a 'Store' seller. Model number is TAOH-C00.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g200194049

Still no sighting of a (7T32) movement for one of these Orient TA's yet though. You know what I'm wondering ....

are their movement back-plates stamped (Orient Watch Co. Ltd.) HFA00 or TAO00. ;)

January 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

In fact, the answer (which I should have known) had been staring me in the face for a good few years. :roll:

I'd posted this photo of an Orient  '7T32' HFA00 movement on the second page of this thread (on it's own).

It belongs to Tony (a.k.a. Anzac1957), a New Zealand based collector of Orient watches. He's posted that image (along with a wrist shot on a few watch forums, but I found it again, posted in a WRUW thread on BDWF (Best Damned Watch Forum) in May 2012.

Then it suddenly clicked - this watch (which I'd previously assumed was an Orient HFA) uses the same watch case (but in gold-tone) as the stainless red dialed TA0H-C00 that's currently listed on Yahoo Japan auctions. (Tony hadn't stated the model number in his post). But if you check his blog page for this particular watch, there's something pretty close to it (probably the model sales code).

So why do some Orient 7T32's get the Lions Rampant logo (TAO) and some not (HFA) ? Must be a distribution / marketing thing. :/

January 8, 2017 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Yeah, O.K., so I know what I wrote in my penultimate post ....

I don't intend to start posting links every Orient TAO '7T32' that I come across.

But maybe that Orient TA0H '7T32' variant isn't that rare (at all) after all - nor was it's geographic distribution limited to Japan. :roll:

Here'a another which was listed yesterday evening by a French eBay seller - another stainless version with a silvery-white face.

The photo of the case-back isn't particularly clear, but fortunately she's included the model number TAOH-B00 in her description.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381915659496

CHRONOGRAPH/ALARM HOMME ORIENT QUARTZ

BON ETAT GENERAL

FONCTIONNE PARFAITEMENT

DATE A 3H

WATER RESIST 100M

STAINLESS STEEL DIM 40MM

N° SJ TAOH-BOO CA

January 8, 2017 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at May 10, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Seiko7A38 at June 22, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I've seen lots of Orient 7T32's on eBay over the years, but never before this particular model, a HFA940:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221242564508

I'm not usually very keen on over-sized oblong pushers, but I'll admit they work reasonably well on this case design:

Note, unusually it has dual outer scales: both the normal Tachymeter and Telemeter. Pity about the badly scratched crystal. :/

Remember this attractive little Orient HFA 7T32 with oblong pushers, from the first page ? :|

Well I've just accidentally stumbled across another one, with posh pretentions on Yahoo Japan. Must have been that divot. :lol:

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w118967158 

オリエント アラーム・クロノグラフ

The listing title translates simply as: Orient alarm chronograph

The brief description as: Tested (do not confirm the alarm function) battery is 17mm 36mm beauty dial does not have to contain.

There's no mention of the fact that the dial has ROYAL COUNTY OF BERKSHIRE POLO CLUB printed where you'd normally expect to see Orient QUARTZ Chronograph. The shield logo is a (poor) representation the team's blue and white colours, rather than Berkshire's crest. The case-back appears to be stamped with the old trademark version of the club's logo (slightly dis-Oriented).

EDIT: Erm, perhaps they're not quite so rare, after all. :/

It only takes a couple of minutes googling images of Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club watch to realize that nowadays (apart from the pukka polo club) they're little better than just another fashion brand; allowing the current version of their logo to be slapped upon just about anything that ticks - including some real cheap tat !  Probably the reason why the Japanese seller eluded to mention it. :roll:

Apologies for the multiple quote-in-quote (something I actively discourage), but I'm just carrying forward the relevant information.

If anybody fancies one of these Orient 7T32's with posh pretentions, there's a NOS example listed on Yahoo Japan auctions.

Currently 15 hours of the auction left to run - and going cheap at the moment, with the bidding at only 1,200 Yen.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g217559038

未使用品 オリエントクオーツ POLOCLUB アラームクロノグラフ 品番WPO 041取説付

Presumably the WPO 041 in the seller's listing title refers to the WP0041TA sticker on the case-back. Can't be sure whether that's the Orient product sales code, or one allocated by Royal Berkshire Polo Club. But at least in this nice clear shot of the case-back it's easy to read the Orient case-model number: HFAE05 CS.

May 24, 2017 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at November 7, 2016 at 3:33 AM

I wouldn't really class this Orient 7T32 as rare - unusual maybe.:/ It's certainly the first example I've seen - though knowing, from other past sightings, that Orient Watch Co. had re-used many of their J39 (7A38) case designs in their earlier HFA's, it comes as no great surprise. I spotted this listing by an Italian eBay seller at the weekend (needless to say, while searching for Orient J39's) - and had to stop and do a double-take.

I knew I'd written that at least once before in this thread. 8)

Two years on, I still come across the odd Orient HFA (7T32), which I hadn't seen before, that bears a striking resemblence to its Orient J39 (7A38) predecessor. Here are a couple I saw listed by Italian eBay sellers, earlier this month.

The first was a NOS HFA005-50 which (other than sub-dial layout) bears a close resemblence to its Orient J39 predecessor, the elusive J39911-50, which I've written about in this thread.

As I still don't yet have an example of that particular Orient J39 in my collection, I was initially tempted to bid on it (hence I took a screen print of the listing). But the more I thought about it, I asked myself what was the point of a 7T32 substitute for what I really wanted ? :/ I abstained and it sold for 36.50 Euros after 46 bids.

The Italian eBay seller who listed this other blingy one didn't mention the Orient HFA model number, but from the case-back shot it's a HFA921-70.

ORIENT CHRONO MULTIFUNZIONE ANNI 80 CASSA 40MM

It sold for 30.50 Euros after 9 bids, at the beginning of last week.

I wasn't in the slightest bit tempted by that one, because I already have not one, but two NOS examples of the 7A38 equivalent - the Orient J39930-70. :D

November 20, 2018 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WoodnoteSR

Hi WatchManiacs,

Lately I have been searching the web for some attractive chronographs, when I stumbled upon a watch that completely astonished me for some reason and am not able to find it anywhere ever since.

Is here any of you that would have any knowledge of where it might still be available for purchase? I have only found one Dutch site, that had them for sale for 90,- EUR, but as of today, I have received an e-mail (after ordering and payment), that these are no longer available and I should expect a full refund soon.

To be honest I was really looking forward to add this to my collection, if I should call it that way, and this left me pretty disappointed. Sure some of you know what it is like to admire photos of a particular piece while everything is arranged and you expect a delivery, while it is all just a big fat Illusion. :/

That DIAL is AMAZING and overall design got me very very hooked.

True to be said, I doubt that these will be somewhere to be found in the near future, if so, possibly overpriced. Are there any similar looking watches out there? Any suggestions maybe?

Anyway, I will be glad if anyone finds time for some advice here, Thank You !

December 10, 2018 at 12:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

You didn't include the model number in your post, but from the image that you've linked from Wai's Flickr Photostream, it's a 7T32-6F00 'S' series. Can't say I've ever seen that particular model before. I'm not averse to dressy chrono's, nor roman numerals, but to my eye, the numbers on that dial are too condensed. :/

I presume this is the Dutch website that you referred to in your post:

http://www.reclaimed.nl/seiko-quartz-chronograph-7t32-6f00-horloge

There were apparently over 300 different Seiko 7T32 models. If you can't find that particular one, there are plenty of others with roman numeral dials. I wouldn't restrict yourself to searching on Seiko, either. Yema and Orient also produced some rather nice dressy '7T32's. Of course, there's always Lassale too ....

December 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WoodnoteSR

Sorry, managed to get the PhotoBucket account now hopefully the photo will come up :) This is the beauty that slipped through my fingers, but that is life I guess.

Post edited by Admin.

Remaining off topic content of this post moved here to start a new thread. ;)

December 12, 2018 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M_L

Found this Lassale on the Goodwill Charity Shop site.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/62362207

Looks to be in excellent shape if you are are into these.

January 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Everybody loves a Panda, right ?

Ever since Paul Newman's 'Paul Newman' Rolex Daytona sold for $15.5 Million in October 2017, there seems to have been a resurgence of interest amongst watch collectors - for any chronograph with this attractive white / black sub-dial colour combination. Myself, I've always liked them and regularly find myself drooling over some of the limited edition Omega Speedmaster Panda variants, particularly the undeniably pretty Japanese 'Marui' reduced version.

Seiko produced a few 7T32's with Panda dials. One of the most common and which I did once consider buying, back in the early days of my collection, was the stainless Panda 7T32-7C60. But I never did. Instead I bought my first 7T32-7F80. There were 3 dial variants of 7T32 produced (all of which were subsequently carried over to the almost identical appearing 7T62-0CM0 range which superceded it). They were:

7T32-7F80 SDWE01P1 - White dial with black sub-dials (a 'proper' Panda).

7T32-7F80 SDWE03P1 - White dial with dark blue sub-dials (and red sweep hand).

7T32-7F80-SDWE05P1 - Black dial with white sub-dials ('Reverse Panda').

Whereas the latter two are relatively common, the 'Panda' version could almost be classed as 'rare' in comparison, going by the number I've seen listed on eBay. 

Funnily enough, one was listed yesterday evening by a UK eBay seller. He boldly claims its condition to be 'Mint' and 'Fantastic', which if you study his photos, it's not difficult to spot the exaggeration. Not only is it pretty well worn, fitted with a cheap NATO strap in place of the original bracelet, but the sweep second hand fitted is a replacement and the lume plots look a little flaky. Oh, and he's asking £195 for it. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333156018850

FOR SALE SUPER RARE SEIKO 7T32-7F80 TRUE PANDA CHRONOGRAPH.

THE OTHER TWO VERSIONS OF THIS CASE REF NUMBER ARE DIFFERENT. ONE VERSION IS NAMED THE REVERSE PANDA WHICH HAS THE BLACK DIAL AND WHITE SUB REGISTERS, THE OTHER VERSION HAS A WHITE DIAL BUT WITH BLUE SUB REGISTERS AND A RED SECONDS HAND, THE WATCH IM SELLING IS ONLY THE SECOND VERSION IVE EVER SEEN WITH THE TRUE PANDA DIAL FOR THIS CASE REF. WHITE DIAL WITH BLACK SUB REGISTERS, THE OTHER VERSION IVE EVER SEEN WAS SOLD ON EBAY AROUND A YEAR AGO WITH A STEEL BRACELET FOR £325, THIS RARE TRUE PANDA 7T32-7F80 COULD EVEN BE A PROTOTYPE SEIKO..?? WHO KNOWS ??

SO THIS WATCH IS IN FANTASTIC CONDITION, NEW BATTERY FITTED, TIMED AND TESTED,ALARM FUNCTION WORKS FINE, AND ALL CHRONOGRAPH FUNCTIONS OPERATE AS THEY SHOULD, JUST A FEW TINY MARKS HERE AND THERE FROM EVERYDAY USE.

WOULD PLACE THE CONDITION 8.5/10.

40MM STAINLESS STEEL CASE , CRYSTAL IS IN NICE ORDER.

COMES FITTED WITH A BRAND NEW BLACK NATO STRAP.

Regarding his claim: THE OTHER VERSION IVE EVER SEEN WAS SOLD ON EBAY AROUND A YEAR AGO WITH A STEEL BRACELET FOR £325, I suspect that is a figment of his imagination. I still have a saved favourite eBay search set up on '7T32-7F80'. The last 'Panda' version I can remember seeing listed on eBay was back in December 2016. It was fitted with its original stainless bracelet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182387686908

SEIKO MEN'S ALARM CHRONOGRAPH WATCH 7T32-7F80

It sold (as a 7-day auction) for a rather more realistic £69.89 after 22 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182387686908

April 14, 2019 at 4:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I don't usually bother updating this thread with sales results, but because of the laughable claims made by UK eBay seller kingkong147, I'm going to make an exception in this case. After nearly a week and a reduction in his original Buy-it-Now price from £195 to £155, he ended the listing because of an error. Presumably the error was in the pricing. :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333156018850

He re-listed it 10 minutes later, on Friday evening of last week, with the Buy-it-Now price further reduced (by £100 from his original 'pie-in-the sky' asking price) to £95. It sold yesterday morning.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333163687240

April 22, 2019 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.