Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Non-Seiko 7Axx Discussion Area (Re-branded mvmt's) > Original pre-production design drawings of Yema N8's

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Those of you who've read through the lengthy topic in this section: What became of Jean-Loup Chrétien's Yema Spationaute III ?

may have observed and tutted to yourselves, where I've rambled a number of times. :roll: Yes, sometimes I was stalling. 

Even today, 10 months after I started it, questions remain unanswered and some sections are still marked More to follow .... 

I'm about to turn over to a third page of that thread, but before I do, I thought I ought to give these drawings a separate mention. :)

July 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Towards the top of the second page, I started a long post sub-divided into various sections, listing possible sources of information.

Here's a copy and paste of one of them:

The closest I have come to achieving any kind of success was when I contacted Gerald Roden through Linkedin in early March 2011.

According to his Linkedin profile, Gerald was the Export Manager for Compagnie Générale Horlogère from 1987 - 1992 (5 years).

This is a slightly edited copy of the message he sent me dated March 6, 2011:

Dear Paul,

Sorry for my late answer. I worked at Yema a long time ago and actually I am pleased that someone is still interested in that sad story.

I loved the brand and its exceptional models.

Yema belonged to the Belmont Family. HJ Belmont (the son and MD at that time) is still alive. He is (was) at Richemont in charge of the industrial strategy. He used to be the CEO of JLC. They sold their C° first to Empain Schneider, then to Matra together with Herma, Lov, Jaz, and Cupillard Rieme. It was at that time the biggest watch C° in France. Unfortunately, the global strategy was not clear among the former owners that remained at command. Home market vs Export, industrial manufacturing vs purchasing and Matra sold to Hattori group.

The CEO was Jacques Meyer who was also importing Seiko brands into France. The group was then forced to give up all manufacturing of movements in order to buy Hattori movements. At the export dept we developed quite high end watches. While lower priced models were developed for the home market. Most of the chronograph watches have been drawn under my briefs but were too expensive for the local market. The synergy between Hattori and the French group worked for a while but the export market was not strategic for obvious reasons.

I left the group in 1991 - I believe at the right moment.

Do not hesitate to ask more. I would be more than happy to exchange more on the subject or send you posts of my Yema collection.

Best, Gerald.

More to follow .... 

July 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I did ask more - lots more questions, but Gerald has been busy. Today he emailed me some photos. But I wasn't expecting these. 

July 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

They 're photos of Yema (C.G.H.) artists' impressions / pre-production factory drawings of:

The familiar Yema Spationaute III model N8 OP76, with a H601 (V011A) based ana-digi L5 OQ46 Yatchingraf to the right.

The roman numeral dial variants of the N81W53 (left) and N81W43 (right) and ....

The 'Louis Quinze' dialed version of the Breguet Classique styled N81W63.

The latter two drawings would most certainly have been off topic for the other thread, so I thought I'd give them a separate topic here.

The Spationaute III drawing is very interesting - or at least to a Yema N8 ophile like myself  because of what it represents.

I'll go into more detail about it in the other thread, once I've studied it further. Of more anon ....

July 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.