Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering > My new watch box - Ongoing Project (Topic Moved)

GeorgeClarkson

Approximately one year ago I started collecting wrist watches, and specifically Seiko 7Axx and 7Txx series. I do not have hundreds of them now, but quite a few, so I have grown the need to store them safely somewhere.

eBay offers many watch cases, suitcases, and even entire closets, that can reach thousands of €uros in price. I have always loved building things with my own hands, and modifying existing pieces of forniture to adapt them to my needs.

To make a l ong story short, I will be modifying a small metal suitcase, that came with an electrical Bosch screwdriver that broke last year, to store some of my "precious" wrist watches.

I will make pictures as the project proceeds, and will post them here, so feel free to comment with critics, suggestions, ideas, comments, whatever.

What I am looking to replicate is something like this:

Mine will be smaller, of course, and should be able to contain up to 8 timepieces. I am still on the drawing table, so please be patient.

--

My personal Blog: www.onlyvintagewatches.com/blog

November 6, 2013 at 4:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

With apologies for the slightly   post, George :P .... But before you go 're-inventing the wheel'  ....

There are already plenty of relatively cheap watch storage / display boxes available to take a dozen or less watches.

The favourite choice of many collectors is the Lidl Tea Box. There are umpteen threads on various other watch forums.

This is the most recent on the RLT forum: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86625

As you're probably aware, I keep my somewhat larger collection in half a dozen of these style ex-eBay aluminium cases:

They come in two styles, either with a clear perspex top, which hold 24 watches, or with a padded aluminium lid to take 32 watches.

However there are also smaller, similar style cases available, some of better quality which take only 12 watches.

This is one I bought myself on eBay Germany back in 2010:

November 6, 2013 at 5:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

No off topic posts here, Paul, all ideas are welcome. And of course, I know there are cheap ready made watch cases around: that image is borrowed from an eBay auction, and it is a buy now for only 11,95GBP. But this is not the point...

I didn't know about the Lidl Tea Box, thanks for pointing that out. A wooden box would be way nicer, indeed... but I had this small metal suitcase laying around taking dust, this is the reason I decided to mod it. I will leave the Lidl Tea Box bug in my ear for a later project then...

BTW: I like your suitcases, but I don't have that many watches yet, nor the space to put such a large case in my small office (where I keep my watches - there I said it...). The small suitcase I have is roughly 200x85x160mm... easy to "hide it" under the desk.

--

November 6, 2013 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

Ok I admit I am positively interested in the Lidl tea box, and head over to the german website to see if they had it available and they do:

http://www.lidl.de/de/Weiteres-Kuechenzubehoer/Zeller-Teebeutelbox-Bamboo/Acryl-L33-5-x-B20x9?searchTrackingQuery=teebeutel%20bo&searchTrackingId=Product.104861&searchTrackingPos=1&searchTrackingOrigPos=1&searchTrackingPage=1&searchTrackingPageSize=3&searchTrackingOrigPageSize=3

At € 13,95 it is a bargain, indeed. Yet... I will stick to my idea, for the moment....

--

November 6, 2013 at 5:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

What I was going to say, is that around the same time, I also acquired (surplus from my place of work), a few of these:

http://int.rsdelivers.com/product/rs/aluminium-faced-equip-case-365x290x138mm/0519677.aspx (mine are RS # 529-677)

They measure 365mm x 290 x 138mm, and have foam inserts with removable segments.

Trouble is they're really a bit too deep - but might be suitable for two layers of watches. They've been gathering dust ever since. :/

November 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

George. Can I move this thread over to the Tech Tips section, as it's more related to Tools, etc., rather than actual watch repairs ? :|

November 6, 2013 at 5:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

Sure, I was not sure where to post it anyway. I guess that section is better.

--

November 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

So, now that i was kindly moved to the right forum's section, let me present you my watchbox (or at least what will be modded into a watchbox):

The metal toolbox used to hold a power screwdriver with all the ~50 bits in place. Here's the inside, partially stripped of the foam on the top side (which I had removed some years ago for another project I was willing to sacrifice this toolbox for and that never saw the light for lack of time):

Another image to show how tall this box is:

Gathering some tools and some more material, and I will be back, don't worry. Until then, I wish everybody a nice week.

--

November 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GeorgeClarkson

I did not forget about this project, guys. As a matter of fact, since time was little and I was moving things to my new office, I went about to find the cheapest and fastest solution I could find to complete it, so I used some rolled up thermal insulation foam and packed all the watches inside the box. Honeslty, I was not expecting it to work, but it did. Here's the proof:

When closed, the upper lid pushes gently all the watches down, so that they do not move when transported. 10 watches (almost all the quartz watches I own, except for some that are still in pieces) are now nice and safe inside this old tool box. Until I settle in the new office, and find a better solution, this will just do.

--

February 25, 2014 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.